1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Talk Bass subjects, have they been repeated multiple times???

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Eric Swaim, Mar 30, 2020.

1. Eric Swaim

Eric Swaim GOD, U.S. MIlitary, Country Supporting Member

Sep 21, 2004
    Murfreesboro, TN
    I notice sometimes people criticize others when I am reading a thread that says that was discussed in 2014 or 2006. I am sure people are not going to look in the archives to see what has or has not been discussed here before. I rarely post anything other than the classified section. 365 days in a year and subject will be repeated and discussed. This isn't that creative a site that it wont be. Personally it doesn't bother me.

What are your thought? Or do you care.

This message brought to you by one bored professional bassist at the moment.

2. LBS-bass

LBS-bass Supporting Member

My thoughts, unpopular though they may be, are that people who just came here today have just as much right to discuss a topic in a fresh way as those who were here earlier. If a topic has recently been covered, a link to that can be helpful so as to not clutter the board. But this is supposed to be a discussion forum, not an encyclopedia. Take away discussion and there's nothing left but static text. The search function can be helpful but it often results in people reviving old threads which is then also discouraged by the same people who don't want you to start the new thread.

Things change. The advice someone tossed out two years ago might be very outdated. If people are sick of a topic, they can scroll past. JMO.

3. GIBrat51

GIBrat51 Innocent as the day is long Supporting Member

Mar 5, 2013
    Lost Wages, Nevada
    I have... conflicted views... about this. Yes, for the most part, TB is supposed to be a discussion forum. And, like it or not, there are only so many things to discuss about a bass guitar. So, yes, we've discussed pretty much all of them - over, and over, and over... But, yes, there are new people joining all the time, who haven't discussed this stuff over and over, so... that's life, I guess. And, yes, I can always just not click on threads if I don't want to...
    On the subject of "Zombie" threads? Conflicted there, too. On the one hand, lots of them do have information that's still useful; particularly about older basses - like the ones I seem to wind up with. But, 10 year old threads about "what color should I paint my P-Bass", or 14 year old ones about "which bass should I buy?" The bass got painted a long time ago; and a bass got bought an even longer time ago... Sorry, but IMO things like that are better left in the past; along with anything with "Tort" in the title...:rolleyes: Whenever I encounter one of these threads, I always wonder - who on earth has the time to root around for threads this old?!? And, WHY?? :whistle:

4. LBS-bass

LBS-bass Supporting Member

I don't disagree with you on that. Problem is that sometimes people will do a search and fail to realize how old a thread is. Then other people start commenting. It's kind of funny to see people answering a question from 10 years ago when the OP hasn't even been online here for the past five. But we're human and we make mistakes.

Jeff Scott, TNCreature, 40Hz and 7 others like this.
  5. Cliff Colton

Cliff Colton

Nov 7, 2016
    When new members join TB, they receive a personal welcoming message from TB staff with tips about posting. The message explicitly states that members are encouraged to post new threads about topics even though previously discussed. The idea imo is to keep facts, opinions, and ideas up to date, rather than discuss something ad nauseam.

jfh2112, BrianRoze, BassinCT and 12 others like this.
  6. Stumbo

Stumbo Wherever you go, there you are. Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 11, 2008
    Masks, people, masks!
    Song Surgeon slow downer.
    i've posted the same info on HPFs many, many times. And many of the same links for lots of different topics. I don't mind.

I know others make fun of my repetition. Hey, if someone learns something, I'm okay with that.

Others are now carrying on as HPFs (and LPFs) become a standard part of many bass players tools. :thumbsup:

Last edited: Mar 30, 2020
    jfh2112, BassinCT, Kevorargh and 14 others like this.
  7. GregC

GregC Johnny and Joe Gold Supporting Member

Jan 19, 2007
    Chicago
    2014 or 2006, really? This seems like a wild exaggeration, but I didn't see the thread. Some subjects have been brought up literally multiple times per week every single week. For those, searching might be better, I think. That said, I don't bother posting in those threads anymore, I just scroll by.

SpyderX likes this.
  8. JRA

JRA my words = opinion Supporting Member

0000.jpg
    per the OP: i care! :D

most of the whiners are folks who wouldn't otherwise say "beans" if they had a mouthful. but whining/bitching/moaning is fun for them --- they feel like they know something by pointing out that a topic has been discussed before. they have anonymity and they probably don't practice enough. :laugh: but they are experts on the subject of "TB." :laugh:

9. Oddly

Oddly

Jan 17, 2014
    Dublin, Ireland.
    I'll generally do a quick search (I prefer to go 'Google ...<subject> Talkbass' rather than use the internal search) if I'm thinking of posting a new thread, say for example recent threads on Netflix shows.
    Not perfect, but it has stopped me a couple of times...particularly in posting big news or RIP threads (although given I'm at least 5 hours ahead of most TB'ers occasionally I'm bound to see stories break earlier:))
    I've also been guilty of zombie thread resurrection in simply not noticing how old a thread was.

I do try hard not to hit a thread with just a 'use the search function/that's already been covered/ link to other thread' response, by at least adding something I hope will be useful to the thread, mindful of the fact that people get here, are excited to discover the vast amount of information/experience available and maybe just want a quick answer.
    Also, while a lot of questions may certainly seem very similar, there's often some different but very relevant circumstance or fact involved that has not been covered yet and let's face it, a lot of the time, some people respond without fully reading a question, checking if someone's new, or where they are.

10. SpyderX

SpyderX

Jun 6, 2015
    Costa Mesa, Ca
    This doesn't bother me.^

This gets annoying sometimes:

But, hey, some days are slow news days.

JRA likes this.
  11. SactoBass

SactoBass A retired civil engineer who likes all-tube amps! Supporting Member

Jul 8, 2009
    Lake Havasu City, AZ
    upload_2020-3-30_16-49-19.jpeg

JRA and DrMole like this.
  12. Greenstreet

Greenstreet

Aug 31, 2017
    Dammit man this subject has been done. USE THE SEARCH FUNCTION!

JK.

It seems like if someone starts a new thread, they get jumped on for not using the search function and pulling up an old one.

If they do use the search function and pull up an old thread, they get jumped on for pulling up a "zombie thread".

Some people just aren't happy unless they have something to be unhappy about.

Bassman013, Richland123, JRA and 15 others like this.
  13. jdh3000

jdh3000

May 16, 2016
    Well people are joining all the time, both newbies snd seasoned players... asking a question that's already been discussed seems appropriate enough as it gives a chance for new answers, new points of view to arise.

Yes we may tire of seeing the same questions, but no one is obligated to answer or even read the post. Scroll on to something of interest.

The best response I've seen instead of "use the search engine" but someone actually pasting a link. I have searched for a subject not to find it.

Also when a subject comes up, even someone who commented on older threads may have something else come to mind. The other threads weren't the definitive end all to a subject.

I personally like going back through several different threads to see what was written...so keep 'em coming!

14. Bruiser Stone

Bruiser Stone Supporting Member

Dec 7, 2017
    Tennessee
    The positive benefits of having this resource as a diversion from the stresses of normal life, and now the extraordinary, outweigh all the detrimental byproducts of repetitious topics and the snarky efforts to combat the most trivial annoyances. Even within the most mundane rehash is a possibility for insight, perhaps even the seeds of friendship. If a troll catches me in my good intentions, I’m no worse off. I’ve learned too much from asking stupid questions to begrudge someone else’s share.

15. I don't get why it bothers anyone to see repeated topics. Not like anyone's forcing you to click on them and read them.

16. Brother Goose

Brother Goose The Process IS the Reward! Supporting Member

Dec 4, 2013
    Syracuse NY
    God Is Love
    I recently discovered some people hate slap bass?!

As you were, Soldiers!

J-Bassomatic and ElMon like this.
  17. Stumbo

Stumbo Wherever you go, there you are. Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 11, 2008
    Masks, people, masks!
    Song Surgeon slow downer.
    jfh2112 and vickerekes like this.
  18. Coolhandjjl

Coolhandjjl

Oct 13, 2010
    Appleton
    There’s nothing new under the sun

jfh2112, nbsipics and scuzzy like this.
  19. Esteban Garcia

Esteban Garcia bassist, arranger, chaat enthusiast Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2018
    Portland, OR
    You can't copyright a chord progression or melodic phrase because they've literally all been done before. That doesn't mean I don't want to hear any new songs.