Talk Box on a Bass??

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by UNKsta, Aug 25, 2005.

1. UNKsta

Aug 24, 2005
    Has anyone ever used a Talk Box on a bass? I was thinking of getting one cause I love how they sound with guitar. Also, I am not exactly sure what is needed to use one... I would need to have a PA for it to work right? Cause the effect would not come from my bass rig?
  2. UNKsta

Aug 24, 2005
    Ok... need to move this thread cause I was totally retarded putting this in the amp forum. Sorry!
  3. BurningSkies

BurningSkies CRAZY BALDHEAD

Feb 20, 2005
    Seweracuse, NY
    While this is probably more appropriate for the effects forum, I would suggest that a 'talk' effect on the bass might sound similar to someone farting the alphabet.
  4. As to how it would sound with a bass, I'm not sure as I've never attempted it or heard it attempted.

As to how it would work, yes you'd need a PA setup, or at least a vocal mic and monitor for practice. When you engage the talkbox, the signal from your bass no longer runs through your amp but through a tiny speaker in the talkbox. This speaker transmits sound up the tube to your mouth, which you then shape and redirect into a vocal mic.
  5. IMHO, I would think that it would get as muddy and not very defined, just like the "ultrabass" on some amps, unless you're in the upper register of the bass, and then you might as well be playing (gasp!), guitar! :eyebrow:

It would be a fun experiment, though. Let us know if you try it!
  6. ebladeboi123

Jul 11, 2005
    Oberlin, Oh
    I have a friend with a talk box, maybe he'll let me try it... Or i'll just let him try it. Who knows
    I'll post up results if i do infact follow through with it.
  7. Careful you don't swallow the voice coil in the talkbox when your bass blows it up the hose. :cool:
  8. I've often wondered what htis would sound like but wanted to wait for some one else to try. Even if it sounds cool you'd probably only use it on a song or 2 and for me that's not enough to justify the cost of the pedal.
  9. I would think that trying someone else's would be like using someone else's toothbrush.

+1 on letting your friend try it with the bass, instead.
  10. sean_w_mcgrath

sean_w_mcgrath does this forum name make me look fat?

11. BigOldHarry

Aug 11, 2008
    San Diego, CA
    mmmmmmmmm.... Stinky bass lines...