Talk box on bass?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by UtBDan, Aug 12, 2005.

1. UtBDan

UtBDan Supporting Member

Oct 29, 2004
    I know hypothetically it'd work, but does anyone know how well it'd actually sound?
  2. Petary791

Feb 20, 2005
    Michigan, USA
    It would sound pretty bad. Check out the Otto Filter by Line 6. I don't have it, but check out the "TF" thing on the site. Sweet.
  3. The Digitech BP80 has 9 different voice synths...
  4. xan

Sep 10, 2004
    Perth, Australia
  5. i thought about useing a talkbox on bass, but instead because i wear a gas mask on stage sometimes i would feed the tube into the where the mouth area of the gas mask is and make sounds through there............i concluded that it would never work and brushed it off as a silly idea but who knows it could have worked.
  6. sean_w_mcgrath

sean_w_mcgrath does this forum name make me look fat?

I have a Rocktron Banshee that I have been experimenting with. And here is what I have found:

1. You can get decent "talking" sound. Very easily. I think practice is needed to get them better.
    2. Distortion helps big time. A distorted bass is a lot easier to work with than a clean one. The Banshee has built in distortion which is really nice.
    3. You can get some musical wah-ish sounds.
    4. It's easy to do volume swells with your mouth.
    5. Other sounds you get sound similar to tremolo and synth depending on what you do with your mouth and if distorion is used.
    6. If you use it for a long period of time, it makes your teeth hurt from all the vibration.
    7. You get very musical results from both high notes and low notes.

My reason's for choosing the rocktron banshee were: the built in distortion, the no amp damaging effects like the originals, and the tone knob which is useful for tweaking your sounds.
  7. C-5KO

Mar 9, 2005
    Toronto, Canada
    If you get the Digitech Talker it's actually not that bad. On bass, it tracks nicely. I would probably put a compressor before you go into the Talker to even out your output.

I'm not sure if they're made anymore. Last I heard is that they were discontinued, hence, the high prices for them. Plus you should try it out first, since mostly likely the ones you find will be used.
  8. I have an old Dean Markley Talk Box 100 that I use with a GK MLS micro guitar head and it works pretty well. Like with anything else I also use a Shure SM-57 to mic it. With that I can get a good 'clean' tone up to a fully busted tone. You don't get a fundamental bass tone but as an effect it is pretty useful and fun.
  9. xan

Sep 10, 2004
    Perth, Australia
    yeah they are discontinued, but this week there are 3 on ebay.. so not TOO rare yet..
  10. C-5KO

Mar 9, 2005
    Toronto, Canada
    How convenient for you. ;) So, you probably won't get to try it first before you buy it. Unless you're local music store has one they don't mind you trying. Usually the stores that carry vintage and used gear will have it.

If there are 3, then you stand a better chance at getting a good price on it. Mine was $300 CAD when I got it. That was, oh, 1.5 - 2 years ago. Sold it to the guitar player in my band for the same price. The one good thing, since they are discontinued, you can usually sell them at the same price you bought it for.
  11. xan

Sep 10, 2004
    Perth, Australia
    unfortunately i cant really afford one at the moment, its just one of the things im keeping an eye on. unfortunately there are actually no boutique dealers in my city! might have to start one myself.

but yeah, thats the security of buying rarish objects on ebay.. you can generally resell them for what you paid.
  12. b15fliptop

b15fliptop Supporting Member

Feb 17, 2004
    There is actually a segment on a Modern Dr**mer DVD with Nathaniel Townsley on drums, Shedrick Mitchell on B3, and a dude named Ron Long on bass. Ron uses a Digitech talker to great effect throughout the performance. If you get a chance to catch this performance, DO SO! It is seriously bad ass funk from the get go!
  13. AlexHunt

Aug 13, 2005
    Whitby, Ontario
    i have tried it before ... it sounds as dumb as a talkbox does on guitar. doesnt work the best with the lower notes
  14. luknfur

Jan 14, 2004

not that it applies to this piece but I'll throw out that things on ebay go in spells. I've tracked a lot of stuff over time and suddenly a bunch of pieces will show that haven't shown for a year then they'll be gone for another year.

I think guys must see stuff on ebay and think, hey I've got one of those doing nothing, may as well toss it out there.

I've passed on some stuff when I first started looking for it thinking the same thing - and that's the last I see of it.

Pricing for common stuff goes the same way sometimes. I've seen a run of Ada MB-1's go for barely over $100 and I've seen them go for over $300. No doubt something in the news will shoot the value up on some stuff and discontinued or closeouts drop some other stuff.

You never really know on the Bay (in more ways than one).
  15. Ba55Man1ac

Ba55Man1ac Gold Supporting Member

Apr 22, 2004
    Sydney, Australia
  16. Ripper

Aug 16, 2005
    The talk box sounds like it does on a guitar... just a lot lower
  17. RHFusillo

RHFusillo Supporting Member

Mar 20, 2000
    Phoenix, AZ
    Larry Graham used a talk box on "Now Do U Wanna Dance." Sounded cool.