1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Talk me in or out of an amp head. And ya better make it good!

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Joe Nerve, Sep 9, 2019.

1. Joe Nerve

Joe Nerve Supporting Member

Oct 7, 2000
    New York City
    Endorsing artist: Musicman basses
    I'll do my best to make this brief, but please read. Need a new head. Love my Carvin BX700. Its days might however be over...
    • Right now all I REALLY need is stage monitoring, BUT I'd like something that can cover other gigs when necessary.
    • It must be small and less than 10 lbs.
    • Tubes mean nothing to me. I'm half deaf and can't tell the difference anyway.
    • Dependability is a must.
    • THE HEAD MUST BE VERSATILE!!!!!!!!
    • I have played through many Makbass heads and don't like them for a variety of reasons.
    • I don't like heads that have signature tones to them. Owned GKs and Ampegs and were never happy with them.
    • I'd like for the highs to go to 11.
    That being said, I think my favorite SOUNDING head of all time is the Hartke HA3500C, BUT I really want something I can carry with my pinky in a laptop bag.

[​IMG]

And more importantly, I'm a bit stuck on whether I want to spend $300 or $2000. Do I really NEED to spend upwards of $1000? There was a club I used to play that had a Bugera head as their backline. It was used and abused every weekend for years, and they seemed to never have a problem (unless they replaced it every month :)).

I kinda like this, and right now its the one calling to me:

[​IMG]

And the price is a fraction of what other head with those specs cost.

Please tell me everything you think and know now :). And lets all make for some good arguing.

Thanks in advance.

Last edited: Sep 9, 2019
  2. seamonkey

seamonkey

Aug 6, 2004
    These appear to have the same amp power guts as the Bugera but half the price, and different tone controls.
    https://www.amazon.com/BEHRINGER-BX2000H-Amplifier-Compressor-Technology/dp/B00SXTN8GS

You can get really tiny powerful heads that cost more and have a longer factory warranty. Some as much as long of 5 year factory warranty. The longer the warranty the less chance you'll ever have to use it.
    It may be worth it to spend more just to avoid any possible warranty hassles should it come up.

3. Wicked G

Wicked G

Jan 19, 2017
    Hell Paso Texas
    Well I normally would not recommend the Veyron M as I used to own one for exactly 44 days, but if you like your highs to go to 11, then yeah the Veyron will definitely do that and rather loudly as well. However if you really like the Hartke HA3500, the Veyron will not give you that big thick solid note. The Veyron came across as thin and brittle to me, The Hartke did not. IMHO and IME.

4. Stumbo

Stumbo Wherever you go, there you are. Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 11, 2008
    Song Surgeon slow downer. https://tinyurl.com/y5dcuqjg
    Which cabs are you using?

Pbassmanca likes this.
  5. Joe Nerve

Oct 7, 2000
    New York City
    Using a GK Neo 212 with this band, but on other gigs my preference is 2 15" Carvins that I stack.

Pbassmanca likes this.
  6. i'm loving my Quilter BB800: super small and light-weight, and tons of headroom.
    the EQ shaping is a marginalizing topic here on TB, but i quite like it when dialing in my stage mix.

it comes with a fancy carrying bag too.

RickC, javi_bassist, burnunit and 6 others like this.
  7. CTBassGuy

CTBassGuy Supporting Member

Feb 3, 2018
    Danbury, CT
    I have the tube preamp version of this amp (purchased used), and it has been very good, IMO; seemingly not as brite as the MOSFET version mentioned above. I have used and gigged mine, and I have no complaints with it; works well, sounds good, has been reliable, and can get stupid-loud when desired. If you like the sound of it, I see no reason (other than outlined below) to hesitate to buy one.

That said, there are many here on TB that dislike the idea of Bugera equipment due to their rating their amps and cabs by peak power as opposed to RMS, making the amps’ marketing seem way better than it is compared to other brands. Additionally, the Veyron amps look a lot like the Genz Benz Streamliner series (especially the back panel), to potentially the point of outright copying Genz Benz. Even the designer of the Streamliner (agedhorse, here on TB) seems to think so. I imagine you will receive some replies here with those observations. I will not debate these positions, as I do see the validity of them, but they do not negate the fact that these are good, serviceable amps. If these reasons give you pause, there are many other good amp options in this and slightly higher price ranges that do not have this baggage...

Good luck!

Pbassmanca likes this.
  8. Joe Nerve

Oct 7, 2000
    New York City
    I had no idea what a Quilter BB800 was and the first thing a Google search turned up was this Quilter BB800- Disappointment .

Sound like the polar opposite of what I'm looking for.

[edit] PS - If people could provide links to the gear they're recommending, it would be really helpful. Not just for me, but for anyone else reading or making use of the thread.

wes stephenson and Pbassmanca like this.
  9. Joe Nerve

Oct 7, 2000
    New York City
    Thanks... I've been researching a bit since I posted and notice that a lot of the hate comes from people who never played through or owned a Bugera.

I know many moons ago I bought a 60 watt Behringer that kicked complete butt, and took a massive beating. The amount of hate Behringer was getting at that time did not align with my experience at all. And most of it was coming from people who had no experience with the amp.

EatS1stBassist, Tad, Cage and 2 others like this.
  10. MobileHolmes

MobileHolmes I used to be BassoP

Nov 4, 2006
    Iowa
    The new GK Legacy heads are supposed to be fantastic, but I haven't tried one yet. Probably of the small heads I've played, my favorites were either the Genzler Magellan or the Bergantino B|amp, although the Berg was more screwing around than I like to deal with. I also have only played those through their own brand cabs, so I can't isolate whether the cabs or the head was the cool part

LoTone likes this.
  11. Stumbo

Stumbo Wherever you go, there you are. Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 11, 2008
    Song Surgeon slow downer. https://tinyurl.com/y5dcuqjg
  12. giacomobass

giacomobass

Dec 30, 2011
    Italy
    Zoom MS-60B MultiStomp Bass Pedal

13. not sure how you came away with the 'polar opposite':
    • Right now all I REALLY need is stage monitoring, BUT I'd like something that can cover other gigs when necessary. CHECK
    • It must be small and less than 10 lbs. CHECK
    • Tubes mean nothing to me. I'm half deaf and can't tell the difference anyway. CHECK
    • Dependability is a must. CHECK (so far for me, at least)
    • THE HEAD MUST BE VERSATILE!!!!!!!! CHECK, especially depending on what you run into it
    • I have played through many Makbass heads and don't like them for a variety of reasons.
    • I don't like heads that have signature tones to them. Owned GKs and Ampegs and were never happy with them. CHECK, I find this amp to be very neutral
    • I'd like for the highs to go to 11. CHECK, more headroom than you will need
    and yes, the amp is very marginalizing:
    Official Quilter Bass Block 800 Club

either way, the BB800 is not for everyone, but it works great for me!

14. MCS4

MCS4

Sep 26, 2012
    Fort Lauderdale, FL
    I know a guy who gigs with the Bugera Veyron and gets plenty of volume and a solid tone for loud rock/metal paired with a 6x10 cab, and he's a dude that has done decent enough touring at the national level such that I would trust that he would retire the amp immediately if he had any reliability issues. However, I have never heard him use the amp for a "clean" tone (his stock tone is moderately overdriven or even distorted) so it is hard to comment on how it might sound for more typical uses.

15. bherman

bherman Supporting Member

Apr 30, 2009
    Grand Junction, CO
    I've cycled through lots of lightweight heads, of all of them the ones that I think give the best bang for buck (at both ends of the spectrum cost-wise) are:

1. Mesa Subway D800 (THE ULTRA LIGHTWEIGHT, PROFESSIONAL LEVEL CLASS D SUBWAY® D-800â„¢ FOR BASS | MESA/Boogie®), new for around $800 and good used ones show up in TB classifieds often for $5-600; and
    2. TC electronics BQ500 (|BQ500|Tcelectronic|P0CQS), available new for $250. I have it's little brother - BQ250 - that I bought for $149 as a backup, and its surprised me how good this amp is for the price. I use it for small gigs as a primary amp, since my #1 is a Demeter 800 that's a bit bigger and more powerful than needed.
    Both have pretty simple controls, are smallish and light (will fit in a padded backpack), and are pretty uncolored tone-wise. If I had to pick between the two it would be the Mesa - I love the newer versions (D800+ and WD800) but both have more complex eq systems, more features than I need, and are bigger.

16. Stevorebob

Stevorebob Well... I Am Here, Aren't I? Supporting Member

Sep 29, 2011
    Los Angeles
    I’m looking at amps, too. The GK Legacy 800 and Mesa WD800 are at the top of my list. Can’t decide which.

If you’re looking for a bargain, check out a used GK MB/MBF 500.

Iv@N likes this.
  17. TideSwing

TideSwing Supporting Member

Oct 31, 2014
    +1 on the Quilter BB800 - they are simple, versatile and loud. I made the switch from GK MB series.

18. Kukulkan61

Kukulkan61 Supporting Member

Feb 8, 2011
    Northern Arizona
    I have a GK Legacy 800 coming today, Sweetwater has a 48 month interest free going on right now, my experience with GK is really good thus far, great sounding and very dependable!

19. Joe Nerve

Oct 7, 2000
    New York City
    My apologies... I'm actually having a rough day today and need to get off the internet :). I think my response came off a lot more gruff than intended.

The first thing I read was this though:

I tried to get a good sound out of this setup and could not. The sounds I got were "THUMPY, Hollow and rubbery".

It only has 4 knobs and I tried all kinds of settings. The only sound that was even partially close to what I wanted

That's why I said what I did. I am interested in an amp with lots of highs, and versatility.

Thanks for your suggestion, it IS appreciated. And I'm glad I now know what a Quilter is. I will read up a bit more, too.

20. Raw N Low

Raw N Low If I can't hear it, hopefully I'll feel it Supporting Member

Jul 16, 2009
    Denver, Colorado
    I recommend the Arkham "Beast of Both Worlds" amp. Very powerful, light, versatile, simple and flexible. I'm waiting for my other class D options to kick the bucket so I can justify one.

Website and Specs: ARKHAM-THE BEAST OF BOTH WORLDS

nonohmic, fishdreams and allenhumble like this.