Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Talk me into/out of a Millenium BXP.

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Diggler, Mar 9, 2005.

1. Diggler

Diggler

Mar 3, 2005
    Western PA
    Here's the story... I have a BC Rich NJ Series Warlock and a pre-CBS Fender bass. I primarily used the Fender towards the end of our playing. Our band is getting back together after several years. Now that I can find everything on the internet, I looked up what the Fender is worth. No way am I taking that thing into the two-bit bars we're gonna be playing. I also don't really like the styling of the Warlock, not enough to play it all night. It's OK for a spare.

So, I don't want to spend a lot of money since we're just doing this for fun. I want to get a bass that will hammer out some rock/alternative/punk style stuff, like we used to. One, two gigs a month. The Peavey Millenium BXP in Transparent Black really caught my eye, and for $219 delivered from Musicians Friend, the price is right. My guitar player has bought and sold lots of guitars, but always stuck by his Peavey because it was rock-solid and comfortable.

As cost is an important factor here, will I go wrong with this bass? I never used active pickups before so I won't need them. I have a Nightbass SE, so I figure I can probably give it most of whatever I need to get it to sound right. Am I way off in this?

Also, I have done nothing but 4-string work previously. For $20 more, I can get the 5-string version. Anyone have the 5-string BXP and like it? I'm a little nervous about jumping to a new platform after not playing for so long, but it's probably better to do it now while I'm getting back into it. Can you play your 5-string as smoothly/quickly as your 4-string? Should it be a huge transition?

Thanks for your help...

2. DWBass

DWBass The Funkfather

How much more are you willing to spend? Why not get a Fender MIM P-Bass?

3. Diggler

Diggler

Mar 3, 2005
    Western PA
    How much do I want to spend? As little as possible to get a basic decent sounding workhorse bass. I really like the looks of the Millenium over the Fender basses. The Fender bass I have is my dad's when he played in the 60's and it was available, so that's why I played it. I'm not necessarily trying to duplicate its sound or anything.

My days of serious gigging every weekend was over 8 years ago... I have a family now, this is something I'm doing with the guys for fun on occasion so I'm not looking for a top of the line model, just something reliable, smooth playing and with decent sound. I would just use the old Fender but I don't want to risk damaging it or having it stolen by taking it out to a job.

4. danman

danman

May 18, 2004
    Philadelphia, PA
  5. phogchris

phogchris www.scarsoflife.com

May 27, 2000
    Boca Raton, FL
    I just received my Millennium BXP 5 AC with Cirrus pickups a few days ago, and I can tell you that it is a great bass for the $329 I paid! I have owned 2 Laklands, a Modulus Q5, 2 ZON's, a Status, etc., so I have owned high end basses to compare and this bass is a tremendous value. I have played the non active version, and it is decent, but I would go for the active version. You can get it for about $299, and that is a steal!!!

6. BasStefan

BasStefan Guest

i have the earlier version, Milestone IV. it sounds great for the price. mines not active either. i wish i had an active though

7. Diggler

Diggler

Mar 3, 2005
    Western PA
    What is the big deal with active pickups, besides eating up more 9volts in my rig? I've only used passive pickups, and have a preamp in my Nightbass that I use.

ETA: I use an old Nady 101 VHF wireless while playing gigs. Does that make a difference?

8. Minger

Minger

Mar 15, 2004
    Rochester, NY
    active pickups allow you to change up your tone a bit if you want to without going to the amp - or at least thats my take on it.

but yea, check out the SX...

9. Stu L.

Stu L. Supporting Member

Nov 27, 2001
    Corsicana, Texas
    I think, according to the CUP, I can chime in.

The BXP model is not active, and the price you listed, $219 is not the active price. I really like the Trans Black, but prefer the Tiger Eye a little more. Either way, still a great bass for the money. The Millenium's I've played have all been consistent, good playing and sounding basses. I don't think you can go wrong. There's my $.02

10. Diggler

Diggler

Mar 3, 2005
    Western PA
    Have you seen the t-black in person? I've only seen the pics of it but some of the pics are really dark, and it's hard to see the lines while one pic I saw had the background a nice wine-violet color that you could easily see. I liked the way it looked in the second pic...

[​IMG]

Is that more representative of the color?

11. jgsbass

jgsbass

May 28, 2003
    Floral Park, NY
    Go ebay yourself a Peavey foundation bass. One of the older American made ones with the Superferrite pickups. Should be between $150 and $200 and its quite the bass for that money

12. RockBoxBass

RockBoxBass Supporting Member

Heres my deal. I play 5 nights a week 6 hours a night. I am a huge Stingray 5 fan. I not only love them for there Growl, but for their playability. 34" scale, great neck, string spacing, and eq section. But, their only downfall is the weight. eghhh. I have searched high and low for that kind of playability. I found it. In the Peavey BXP. BUt they arent that inexpensive when I get done with them. I kept 1 passive. They have a suprising amout of Growl the way they are. The second has EMG 45dc's with a 3 band and mid sweep. HOly Crap!!! My 3rd is having Nordstrand Humbuckers put in as we speak. They have awesome necks,a long upper horn(so you dont have to reach to Tokyo for an F, like Warwick's) LIGHTWEIGHT!!, a nice body contour and the overall build quality is just AMAZING. Not just for the price. For some people, its difficult to get past the name. Thats just plain stupid. I dont care about the name or where its made. It sounds good, plays good, has good hardware and they look great. I am going to order a 4 string active next. Just for my taste, I dont care for the electronics for my main basses, but I want to get one just for variety. For 4 strings, I use p basses. I have a P bass USA deluxe with the hum in the back. It kicks. In my opinion, get the Peavey, you cannot beat them for the price. With the right Luthier, any sound you want can be made. Go for the playabilty. But....that too is subjective. ps....I have 16 basses right now and have had over 50 in the last couple years. I've tried just about everything. Gotta LOVE Ebay!!!!

13. Stu L.

Stu L. Supporting Member

Nov 27, 2001
    Corsicana, Texas
    To my eyes, that pic is kinda violet. The Trans Black is just that, black. I've seen a few, and they were all consistent in color. At a short distance, the grain may be hard to see, but you will see it. Very nice basses.