1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Talk me off the ledge! Or don’t)

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by MaglorOnBass, Feb 12, 2018.

1. MaglorOnBass

MaglorOnBass

Jan 23, 2018
    I’ve been experiencing an excessive amount of GAS lately. I have purchased 3 basses in about a 3 month period. I’ve returned one and am seriously considering selling another. But I’m completely in love with one of them.

It’s a Lakland Skyline DJ5, in black.

Nothing I’ve played in stores or at home compare in terms of appearance, finish, playability, balance, and tone. Not even American Fenders.

Here’s the thing... There is one available in white, and I want it...

Mine is an older Korean made Skyline, and this one is a newer Indonesian Skyline. There are some minor differences I know of, the main one being that the newer stock pickups are different. I’m incredibly curious to compare the build quality between the two, and I love the idea of having one in black and one in white.

Am I crazy?

I think it’s a good idea to have a backup 5 string, but should I be broadening my horizons and getting something completely different?

What are some good justifications for having two of the same bass? Flats on one wound on the other? Put a preamp in one, and leave the other passive?

Talk me out of this madness! :bawl:

Last edited: Feb 12, 2018
  2. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Gold Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    To me, a back up should be like your main bass, or it is really a change of pace, and not a backup. A backup would be another DJ5 with rounds.

aaronious, smogg, mikewalker and 2 others like this.
  3. MaglorOnBass

MaglorOnBass

Jan 23, 2018
    If I’m being completely honest, I don’t think I can justify having a true backup bass.

I just play with the church band, for services and the occasional benefit.

But having only one 5 string makes me feel a little uncomfortable if something were to go wrong. Right now I have a second 5 string. It’s an Ibanez SR605, and it’s a radically different change of pace. Not only is it a radically different tone, but the feel is totally different. It’s a shorter scale and has a much narrower string spacing (16.5mm as opposed to 19mm). The change of pace is so radical that I’m afraid it will be problematic for muscle memory. It feels like I’m playing a banjo compared to the Lakland.

I’m very close to selling the Ibby.

4. Slater

Slater Leave that thing alone. Supporting Member

Apr 17, 2000
    The Great Lakes State
    Sell the Ibanez and get the white DJ5. You can try different strings, pickups, electronics, etc. on one while leaving one dialed-in for your current gig.

SteveC, pcake, neuman and 2 others like this.
  5. Dr. Cheese

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    You could buy an Ibanez TMB-605. Although it is 34” scale. It has 18mm spacing at the bridge, and would feel much more like your Lakland. I own a DJ5 so I know this to be a fact. Last I checked, they $599 new. Here are some clips of mine:

6. JRA

JRA what key? Supporting Member

yes.

get what you like: play and enjoy! have no regrets! good luck!

:thumbsup:

MaglorOnBass likes this.
  7. MaglorOnBass

MaglorOnBass

Jan 23, 2018
    I dig the body style. How is the balance? A little neck heavy?

Very cool P/J pickups and I love the 3/2 headstock.

8. Dr. Cheese

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    I mainly play sitting, but noticed no neck dive when I stand. It is about 9 1/2 lbs.

MaglorOnBass likes this.
  9. Uncle K

Uncle K The bass player doesn't get a sandwich Supporting Member

Aug 22, 2011
    Erie, PA
    Sell the Ibby and buy the white bass

smogg and MaglorOnBass like this.
  10. gidbass

gidbass Supporting Member

Aug 5, 2009
    Talk me off the ledge! Or don’t)

Man, are you on the wrong forum...;)

Buy it!

Good luck!

Last edited: Feb 13, 2018
    lancimouspitt, pcake, onosson and 2 others like this.
  11. MaglorOnBass

MaglorOnBass

Jan 23, 2018
    Lol.

Actually, I think talking this out is helping.

I’m remembering that I need a break job, and that there is a guy in my area selling a 5 string MM SUB Ray, which would provide some diversity and backup at a much more affordable level.

12. MaglorOnBass

MaglorOnBass

Jan 23, 2018
    Jeff Elkins likes this.
  13. MYLOWFREQ

MYLOWFREQ Supporting Member

May 13, 2011
    New York
    well, i got three of the same bass, two being exactly identical including the color. they all have rounds on them :bag:

edit: just came up with a justification! I'll put a mirror pickguard pick guard on one :smug:

pcake, mikewalker and MaglorOnBass like this.
  14. Wfrance3

Wfrance3 Supporting Member

May 29, 2014
    Tulsa, OK
    I’m a Church player. I have two basses, well, 3 with the aeb added in there, anyway, of the two solid bodies, ones a Schecter elite 5, ones a squire Vm jag 5. Both are pretty dissimilar, but I change back and forth, mostly to entertain myself... no one really cares what bass I show up with, long as it’s in good working order.

15. Hevy T

Hevy T Supporting Member

Jan 11, 2011
    Lethbridge, AB Canada
    JUMP JUMP JUMP!!!

drummer5359, ThinCrappyTone and smogg like this.
  16. two fingers

two fingers Opinionated blowhard. But not mad about it. Gold Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
    If you have plenty of cash money....... meaning that buying the second bass would not place a hardship on your finances. ....and that you will NOT go into debt to get it....

Quit yer bellyachin' and get the dang bass!

17. Dr. Cheese

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    I know how that goes!

lowdownthump and Wfrance3 like this.
  18. mikewalker

mikewalker Supporting Member

Jul 30, 2017
    Canada, Eh!
    Why would you need a backup for a five-string, anyway? After all, it already comes with a spare... :)

pcake, bebass and Dr. Cheese like this.
  19. I guess that’s what people with a decent amount of money or credit do, buy 3/4/5/6/23 basses at once for a month or more and determine which they like. I’d do it.

Dr. Cheese likes this.
  20. Ampslut

Ampslut Supporting Member

May 15, 2017
    The great thing is that you have found 1 bass that you really love. Everything else you play will have to come up to that standard. Buy what you like, sell what you don't, play and be happy. Just don't go broke in the process ;)

Last edited: Feb 13, 2018
    SteveC, pcake and drummer5359 like this.