Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Talk me out of a Gecko...

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by HeavyDuty, Jun 15, 2004.

1. HeavyDuty

HeavyDuty Supporting Curmudgeon Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    Hmmm, pull my finger - G.A.S.

I saw a beauteous used Tobias Growler 5 at a local store yesterday. I've been looking at fives to see if I want to give one a try. This one was great, but grotesquely overpriced ($1200).

However, it reminded me of how much I like this wood combination, both visually and tonally - satin clear on a nice piece of swamp ash with a wenge board. Yum!

So, I'm wondering - a fretted swamp ash Gecko fiver with a wenge neck and board (without the silly gecko inlay), a single EMG, Basslines MM or Bart soapbar in the P position, and active tone? Prices don't look too bad, especially since I wouldn't need any finishing (I can do satin poly, and wenge is ready to go as is).

Why shouldn't I do this?

2. Funkize you

Funkize you Guest

Nov 4, 2003
    Westminster Ca.
    How Much is this going to cost you... If we knew the price limit we could probably tell you what else to buy...

3. Eyescream

Eyescream

Feb 4, 2004
    Knoxville, TN
    I can't talk you out of it, as I'm currently on Warmoth's website looking at Jazz bodies and fretless necks to put the Seymour Duncans off my crappy MIM Jazz on.

Yum... Black korina and ebony.

4. HeavyDuty

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    Money isn't everything... I figure parts for one the way I'd want would be around $850.

5. lbanks

lbanks

Jul 17, 2003
    Ennui, IN USA
    You know you want it. Go ahead touch it. You know you want to. Its there for you to touch...[​IMG]

6. unharmed

unharmed Iron Fishes

May 19, 2003
    London, England
    Because many gecko species are endangered and under threat from the destruction of their environments.

Seriously though, I say go for it. I want one too. :D

7. KeithPas

KeithPas

May 16, 2000
    Poulsbo,Wa
    I would love to have a Gecko as well. I'm not sure the Gecko inlay is an option.

8. unharmed

unharmed Iron Fishes

May 19, 2003
    London, England
    It is now. :cool:

9. Funky Doctor

Funky Doctor

Aug 28, 2003
    Australia
    Go on then. Get the Gecko. I refuse to talk you out of this purchase. I badly want a Gecko, but I'm making do with my TRB6-P in the mean time. Yummmm, Lane Poor.... Seriously, Gecko it up all the way.

10. KeithPas

KeithPas

May 16, 2000
    Poulsbo,Wa

Cool! :bassist:

11. geshel

geshel

Oct 2, 2001
    Seattle
    OK:

"Don't worry, everything is going to be all right. Just stay calm, and work your way towards the light. We've got it tranquilized now. Try not to hurt it - this is certainly the biggest specimen ever found, and we want to keep it alive if possible. OK, I think I can see you now, that's it. . . watch the teeth. . ."

12. unharmed

unharmed Iron Fishes

May 19, 2003
    London, England
    :D

13. Benjamin Strange

Benjamin Strange Commercial User

Dec 25, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    Owner / Tech: Strange Guitarworks
    Don't do it daddy! Don't do it! Get another XM if you can!

14. Funky Doctor

Funky Doctor

Aug 28, 2003
    Australia
    Just remember, you will look all the more hotter with a gecko since they are so damn sexy and sexify aything they touch and you will be sure to pull waaaaaay too many chicks to know what to do with them all :D. Did you guess that maybe I like Gecko's?

15. JOME77

JOME77 Supporting Member

Aug 18, 2002
    Georgia
    I'd say go with the Gecko! I think you'll be very pleased!
    Here's one I finished last week.

16. HeavyDuty

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    Man, oh man - I'd love a black fretless with tapes and a red fretted. Can I use your credit card?

17. HeavyDuty

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    Sweet! I love the look.

How's the balance? I'm a little concerned a swamp ash body with a wenge neck would be a bit neck-heavy.

18. HeavyDuty

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    Hey - has bwbass been around? I wonder if Warmoth could be talked into coming up with a smaller headstock inlay? That I could live with!

19. Funkize you

Funkize you Guest

Nov 4, 2003
    Westminster Ca.
    Well, I would think about the Lakland 55-02. Very good bass, but I think a Well Constructed Gecko may out perform it...

20. Nick man

Nick man

Apr 7, 2002
    Tampa Bay
    That sounds kinda low to me.

You want to be talked out if it?

Actually calculate the real cost including shipping of the parts.