1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Talk me out of a Klon Klone Please!

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by MGR, Apr 29, 2015.

1. MGR

MGR Banned

Jan 18, 2015
    Bronx, NY
    I made the mistake of watching a video on Youtube where a bassist plays thru a Klon Centaur. The sound really amazed me, and it's a flavor or dirt I think I would like. But.......

I really don't need the pedal, and in the end probably won't use it that much. But, I do have my eye on a Klone (Idiotbox Han-Taur) that I'm very excited about and the price won't break the bank. In fact, I think Idiotbox is the most innovative boutique pedal company out there today and would love any of their offerings (I already have a Static Fuzz and think it's the best pedal I ever owned).

Any of you guys rocking a Klon Klone on bass? Is it worth it? What are you liking? What are you not liking? I like my tone to be slightly hairy, but with the lows and clarity left intact. Is this even the pedal for me?

BTW, after all is said and done, I don't think I really will be talked out of the Han-Taun. Not to sound like a woman, but the Star Wars graphics are really what is selling me on the pedal, being a child of the early 80's that I am. Ok, now the PC police can come out and take me to task for this last statement!

2. The_Janitor

The_Janitor

Jun 30, 2012
    Madison, Wi
    I had the EHX Bass Soul Food for two days before I decided to sell it. It had a weird mid-range honk that I couldn't get rid of. Sounded awful, the OD Glove sounds much better. IMO, YMMV, etc.

I have no experience with any other Klones.

gregmon79 likes this.
  3. MGR

MGR Banned

Jan 18, 2015
    Bronx, NY
    Thanks. Good to know because the Bass Soul Food was on my list of pedals to buy. I really don't like the build quality of EH though. Their effects always sound like they're slightly turned on even when bypassed.

4. Dave W

Dave W

Mar 1, 2007
    White Plains
    Klons and Klones don't seem to be all that popular for bass. I've never tried one so I can't really comment.

I've seen a few Klons on boards every once in awhile, but it always seems to be from somebody with money who put more time into finding the most expensive pedals for looks rather than finding stuff they actually like the sound of.

I do plan on getting a Rockett Archer for my guitar rig one of these days.

gregmon79 likes this.
  5. gregmon79

gregmon79 I did it for the muff... Supporting Member

Dec 20, 2012
    Chicago IL
    Why do you need to be talked out of it?? IF you want to try one, get one.

Somnambulance likes this.
  6. Klon Klones are generally a little thin on bass. Barbershops are a similar concept but works better on bass. I tried a zen recently, sounded great on my les paul....terrible on my bass. It sucked all the bottom end out of tone.

Last edited: Apr 29, 2015
  7. MGR

MGR Banned

Jan 18, 2015
    Bronx, NY
    Because ultimately the $ is better served staying in the bank. Soliciticing opinions is all I'm doing here, and so far, Klon Klones seem to be not the greatest idea for bass.

8. gregmon79

Dec 20, 2012
    Chicago IL
    Ok. Then dont get it.

JonnyAngle likes this.
  9. Mojo-Man

Mojo-Man

Feb 11, 2003
    The Centaur sounds great with Bass. The only problem they go for around $2000.00. For the older silver or gold ones.
    The new reissues are OK, but the magic are in the old ones I've tried.
    Would love to have one, just to much $$$$$$

10. I don't get it.

gregmon79 likes this.
  11. father of fires

father of fires Commercial User

Nov 29, 2006
    BALTIMORE CITY
    Chief of Medicine at Damnation Audio
    Agreed. I returned mu Soul Food within a week, but the video of the Jazz Bass through a Klon sounds pretty awesome.

12. bassmusic17

bassmusic17

Jan 15, 2011
    I recently played a Saucy Box which is supposed to be Klon-ish. I don't wanna say it was terrible...

...but it was terrible.

13. What a terrible thing to say, BM17, just terrible.

Wasn't there an even more rare version of the Klon made just for bass?

14. XXL

XXL calm seas dont make skilled sailors

Jun 14, 2007
    My suggestion.. get a DOD FX10 BiFet Preamp. Its been rumored on the internet for years to be a poor mans Klon.

gregmon79 likes this.
  15. Just to add to this, the Klon Klones seem to cut a lot of bass and it can't be EQ'd back again. If you post EQ bass boost, all you hear is boom and loose the low end definition. There are other guitar Overdrives which work better on bass, The Wampler Ecstasy and Timmy come to mind...plus the Fairfield Barbershop is the most transparent Overdrive I've tried on bass. it's astonishing...totally gnarly fuzz and yet it still sounds like my bass. It's clear and EQ neutral, doesn't colour your tone or change it's character but adds hair...did I say that I'm a BIG fan of this pedal? You could do a lot worse by getting the Wampler and the Fairfield.

16. gregmon79

Dec 20, 2012
    Chicago IL
    I tried one at GC over last weekend. I was very disappointed myself. Sounded gross. Not to say an old Klon doesn't sound great on bass. But if I had 2 G's, I wouldn't buy ONE pedal. I'd buy an all tube head so I didn't have to worry about breakup from a pedal.

fclefgeoff and bassmusic17 like this.
  17. fclefgeoff

fclefgeoff Supporting Member

Jan 3, 2002
    Illinoize
    I tried a Soul Food Bass OD. I didn't think it was terrible but the build quality was unimpressive. I sent mine back because there was a short in the jack straight out of the box.

18. higain617

higain617

Sep 12, 2013
    WA
    I have a Walrus Audio Mayflower for guitar, and it works well for bass. It's similar to a Tubescreamer but more versatile. It's pricey but not Klon money.

Last edited: Apr 30, 2015
  19. TripleDouble

TripleDouble Guest

Aug 5, 2008
    I have a Barbershop and had a KTR. For bass, you want a Barbershop. For guitar, the Klon/Klone thing is a great sound, wretchedly thin and cheap on my bass, but the idiotic forum-nerd inspired text on the KTR was enough make me sell it for a similarly idiotic profit for what it is. I've got a tweaked clone of a Barber pedal I like for both too, I think it's of the LTD, similarly mostly transparent with just a bit of it's own thing and enough low end.

Last edited: Apr 30, 2015
  20. Dave W

Dave W

Mar 1, 2007
    White Plains
    Word.

For $2K you could buy an Ampeg SVT and an 810 and still have money left over.
    Or an SVT and a V4B Reissue if you've already got a nice cab.
    Or pretty much any other tube head

gregmon79 likes this.