Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Talk me out of a Lakland DJ-4

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by sb69coupe, Oct 5, 2005.

1. sb69coupe

sb69coupe

Aug 9, 2004
    Raleigh NC
    I need some of y'all to talk me out of buying a Lakland DJ-4. I'm serioously GASing for one, despite having never played one. I've played the Skyline 44 and 55 series basses and really liked the feel of them, so I know what to expect from Lakland build quality. I am more of a traditionalist and like the DJ body style, and the fact that it's a passive bass. I use an outboard Sadowsky preamp/DI so I don't want or desire an active onboard setup.

OK, so here are my concerns, in no particular order. The fretboard radius of 7.25" seems pretty "round", at least on paper. How does it feel to play, is ot noticably different than say a Geddy Lee fretboard? Are there any other commonly available jazz basses that also have a 7.25" radius fingerboard? If so, I'd seek one out to try and compare prior to buying the Lakland.

Secondly, I've read that the Aero pickups are more '70's sounding than the Fralins in the Joe Osborn. Can anyone provide comparison between the DJ Aero pickups and the Geddy Lee (or any other more common Fender) ??

Thanks in advance for any advice,
    Shannon

2. I don think anyone can....I know I can't I love em. Getting ready for my 2nd!!! I say go for it. It is a great bass, I prefer the 7.25 radius myself...the neck was more comfortable on my DJ 4 than on my NYC Sadowsky Vintage 4!! That is one of the main reasons I am getting another one!! As far as preamps go, I am doing the same thing, you can't get any better than the Sadowsky outboard in my opinion. I think the Aero's on ANY bass are better than the stock pickups on almost any Fender made today. I like Some Fenders but I am a bit pick when it comes to PUPS. The Fender Marcus Miller has a 7.25" radius and i LOVE the neck on it!!

I had the Sadowsky shop put a set of PUPS and a Sadowsky onboard preamp in a Marcus Miller I have and it smokes!! I like the aggressiveness of the Aeros and I can honestly say I don't think there is a better Passive bass being made anywhere near the price range of the DJ, My opinion, of course, but I will probably get some agreement here. I can't think of a single negative that I could throw out about the DJ or Lakland in general. Very good Customer Service and I can talk to someone who can give me an answer every time I call.

What are you waiting for? Go for it!!

Peace,

T

3. pickles

pickles Supporting Member

Mar 23, 2000
    Ventura, CA
    I can't talk you out of it either. I just got in a DJ5 with Fralins instead of the Aeros, and I am VERY impressed. Reviews to come after a few gigs ...

4. jive1

jive1 Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member Commercial User

Jan 16, 2003
    Alexandria,VA
    Owner/Retailer: Jive Sound
    Yeah, I can't talk you out of one either.

I thought I wouldn't like the 7.25" radius as much as the 10" radius on my Joe Osborn. Well, I still prefer the 10", but the neck on the DJ is d@mn comfortable to play. I love it more than I ever thought.

Plus the basses just look good. The blocks, binding, etc. are real purty to look at, and the body shape is nice and comfy.

Tone - killer tone. The Aeros sound fantastic, and add a J-retro and you have great versatile tone.

Really, a DJ is a great instrument and I can't talk you out of one.

5. sb69coupe

sb69coupe

Aug 9, 2004
    Raleigh NC
    Thanks for the encouragement guys, although my wallet may feel differently. Tommixx, thanks for the point about the Marcux Miller Fender having the same 7.25" radius fretboard. I'll have to go play one to see how I like it prior to dropping the funds on the Lakland. I'll be sure to post once I make the decision. Thanks!

Shannon

6. SteveC

SteveC Supporting Member

Nov 12, 2004
    North Dakota
    I played a DJ 4 string and REALLY liked it. I wanted to buy it but I can't jusitfy a 4 string since my 5 string does everything I need.

I loved the sound. I don't remember the neck being bad or good - it felt nice. Nothing is as slim as a GL neck. It might be almost too thin.

7. cheezewiz

cheezewiz

Mar 27, 2002
    Ohio
    I've owned 3 DJ's, one 5 and two 4s. I still have a 4, and I have a feeling I'll always have one. They are the finest jazz style bass in the price range bar none.

8. Don't buy it - spend the money on your family/children/better half and so on.

9. sb69coupe

sb69coupe

Aug 9, 2004
    Raleigh NC
    Sorry, I'm just not feeling it. My wife and kids are well taken care of and I have some disposable cash to burn. You gotta do better than that to help sway me away from it. Throw up a few pictures of starving children in Africa, or abandoned pets in shelters or something. :D

10. I'm trying to help you!!

Well... er...

Save the money and have the Lakland fellas make you a DJ4 with DarkStars!

Take that!

11. BoiNtC

BoiNtC

Nov 25, 2002
    NYC, USA
    How bout you just send the money to me?

Other than that.. there's no reason you shouldn't buy one!
    If anything you should know by now is that these "talk me out of buying ______" Will actually make you end up buying stuff, we're all gearhounds at TB, welcome and enjoy your stay!

12. Christopher

Christopher

Apr 28, 2000
    New York, NY
    Aren't DJs heavy? And passive J pickups buzz.

13. unity bass

unity bass

Dec 15, 2003
    Modesto, Ca.
    Your wallet will recover...do it.

Chad

14. BartmanPDX

BartmanPDX Supporting Member

I'm not going to talk you out of it, either.

I have a DJ5 w/ a J-retro and I absolutely love it. I play about 30-40% of the time in passive mode, because the Aeros sound so good by themselves, and the J-retro does "color" the sound a little.

Now I have GAS for a Bob Glaub and a JO4. :D

So maybe that's the reason you shouldn't get one -- they're addictive.

15. The one I had weighed right at 8.5 lbs and I just ordered another one today and the weight is 8.25lbs!! So I would disagree with that!!! Great bass.....

Peace,

T

16. Steve S

Steve S

Jul 26, 2000
    Yea, mine weighs about that much too. It's a lotta fun to play.

17. dragonbass

dragonbass Commercial User

Feb 17, 2003
    N.Y.
    Owner/Builder of LoPrinzi Basses.........................................EX-Sadowsky Guitars Builder
    O.K.......

Don't do it!

Rob

18. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Gold Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    sb69coupe, find yourself an old Guild Pilot in great shape like I just did and you won't need a DJ4! The one I snagged was well under $450 but I got it on a clean trade. :D

19. sb69coupe

sb69coupe

Aug 9, 2004
    Raleigh NC
    I'm not familiar with the Guild, so I googled me some photos. Gotta say that I'm not feeling it, based on the looks. I'm getting to be a traditionalist in my old age :D and I prefer the Fender style basses. The blocks and binding on the DJ speak to me somehow. That bound and blocked rosewood neck will make a perfect mate to my Geddy Lee. And the matching headstock is icing on the cake.

Step two down this slippery slope is me heading up to my local GC and playing a Marcus Miller jazz they have in stock. If I find that the fingerboard radius doesn't present any challenges, then the Lakland may be heading my way early next week.

20. bikeplate

bikeplate Supporting Member

Jun 7, 2001
    Upstate NY
    HI

Sounds like you are already talked into it. LOL. Just go for it. Enjoy it. Well made basses

Rob