Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Talk Me Out of an Aguilar DB728!!!

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by jokerjkny, Feb 19, 2005.

1. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    pleez!

after seeing and speaking with oddio about his killer acme / aguilar setup, i've been sorta GAS'in' for a nice DB728. course, they're really expensive and very heavy, and those two aspects alone have kept me at bay.

but recently, on word of mouth, i've got a bead on a well used, yet in good condition DB728 in my area, and while i'm more than happy with my lightweight, yet kickin' powerful rig, thoughts of a DB728 in my rig does seem incredibly tempting.

sooo, pleez, tell me why i shouldnt get it!!!!

2. IvanMike

IvanMike Player Characters fear me... Staff Member Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    dude, considering the situation you're an idiot if you don't. I'm like you, i think they sound very cool, but i really dig the tight sound of my stewart. But if i had the $$ now i would buy one in a heartbeat. like they say, they ain't making them any more.

3. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    ivan,

you are SOOOOO not helping...

:scowl:

4. Jack

Jack

Sep 6, 2003
    Newcastle, UK
    No.

5. IvanMike

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    call me Ivan, (it's my name),
    and sorry......... :p

6. Funkize you

Funkize you Guest

Nov 4, 2003
    Westminster Ca.

Aguilar Killed my Father... And Raped my mother.

7. haha!

8. gruuv

gruuv

Jan 23, 2004
    Tennessee
    Ok, I think you should avoid that thing at all costs. We all know Aguilar's reputation for wretched customer service and their amps sound like dung in a box. . .

:eyebrow:

Maybe I'm thinking of another company. . . ;) :D

Seriously... I think I can talk you out of it. It is some serious weight on that thing, and it pairs best with the 680, which is an extra expense. My advice: don't get the 728... instead, go for a bit less weight, more wattage, and all that buttery Aggie tone -- pick up a used DB 750 :bag:

Ductapeman likes this.
  9. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    Get a DB 750 and solve your trilemma.

10. Pickebass

Pickebass Supporting Member

Jul 12, 2004
    San Antonio, TX
    NO!! Get the 728!! There right it does sound best with the 680. Yeah it's heavy...yeah I got a 8 space shock mount rack to carry it and the 680 ... yeah it a B$#^h to move to the gig... But after the first few songs, the sound is awesome and your back doesn't hurt anymore! :hyper:

11. Lockout

Lockout

Dec 24, 2002
    Illinois
    [​IMG]

There you go!

Oh... What? You wanted us to talk you out of getting an Aguilar DB728? Oops! Sorry. :D

12. IvanMike

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    i was wondering when lockout was gonna show up. i recall when i had the coin i was considering a 728. lockout helped me not buy it. he kept repeating the word "heavy" :p
    and yes the 750 is a hellovanamp, but a different animal. I want one of each. Honest joker, i'm pissed i'm so destitute right now because now that the amp is being d/c'd i would buy one in a second if i could.

13. Joker, is there any chance that you can try that amp out before you hand over your coin? You would then know with some certainty how it matches up to the rest of your gear. Of course, if you have a roadie or two there are no fears.

Personally I am inclined to side with Munji on this one. I am extremely impressed by the DB750. As you have a DB680 already you can't go wrong with the DB728 however..

14. Folmeister

Folmeister Knowledge is Good - Emile Faber Supporting Member

May 7, 2003
    Tomball, Texas
    Look deep into my eyes! Buy the 728! Resistance is futile!

15. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    oh good freakin'... [​IMG]

i have tried the DB750, and while another killer product from Dave, 8 tubes of power does something to me chemically.

btw, is the 728 really the same weight as the 750?

16. Lockout

Lockout

Dec 24, 2002
    Illinois
    No, the 728 alone is 15-20 lbs heavier, IIRC.

17. Nino Valenti

Nino Valenti Commercial User

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    Builder: Valenti Basses
    What about the DB359?

I love playing the DB620/DB728 thru a Berg 610 at the Sadowsky shop but it soooooo heavy!!!!!!!!!

[​IMG]

18. I saw a DB680 with a DB728 in a store this past week. The only thing that went through my mind was "I'd better not plug this in". I really wanted to... but I didn't want the GAS.

19. IvanMike

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    for some real fun plug your active bass straight into the 728 (not reccomended for long battery life) notice the tone.................

20. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    already have it. ;)

only problem is that i feel like it doesnt push my Acme as hard as i'd like. not nearly as punchie. still, i tried using my avalon u5's speaker / amp "in" as a bridge to my Stewart World 1.2, which had MASSIVE punch, but strangely, it still didnt quite have the mojo of the 680 / 728 setup.

but of course!!! :cool:

FYI, waaaaaaaaaaaay back when Roger still had his shop in Times Square, it was his 680/728/GS112 setup in the weee little demo room that first got me hooked. havent been able shake that sound from my brain since.

and good lord man, your living room rig is ridiculous!