1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Talk me out of an AmStd Precision V

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by HeavyDuty, Sep 23, 2008.

1. HeavyDuty

HeavyDuty Supporting Curmudgeon Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    As I've gotten back into playing now that my hand pain is under control, I've been spinning off most of my remaining four stringers. One hole in my bass arsenal is a passive five string.

I prefer single HB basses (witness my Bongo 5H, SR5 and Sterling); all of these are active. I've always liked the PBass sound but have never owned one - the closest I've come is a G&L L-1000 parts bass.

Are there any good reasons I wouldn't want to pick up a new American Standard Precision V, budget allowing?

2. why would anyone want to talk you out of one? they are terrific. anyone doing so should not be trusted.

3. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Retired Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    They don't suck any worse than any other P-bass. If you like the sound of a P-bass, it does a good job producing it. I did a thread with my short, concise, definitive review of one a few months ago.

4. Trevorus

Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    Good reasons why not? If you can afford it, there are none. Fantastic basses.

5. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Gold Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    I say get one. I am very tempted to let go of my 55-02 for one.

6. fightthepower

fightthepower

Jan 7, 2008
    San Diego
    I just picked up a deluxe mia J5 while my hwy1 P was in getting warranty work (dead pickup).... a few months ago.

Now my new J5 is getting replaced (either the neck or whole thing) due to a truss rod issue.. and the strap post pulling out. When I brought it in, they mentioned something about the truss design on the 5ers...

Something to keep in mind, if you don't like having to take your new Fenders in to the shop every 6 months for warranty work:scowl:

It sounded good for a while at least...

7. Nedmundo

Nedmundo Supporting Member

Jan 7, 2005
    Philadelphia
    I think it's unbecoming of any TB member to dissuade another TB member from buying a really sweet passive P-bass. I just can't do it. :D

I've played the American Standard P5, and I think it's excellent. My only real beef is the same one I have with Fender Precisions in general -- the stock pickps have a slightly "blurry," unfocused low end. They can sound great in a band mix, which is obviously important, but I prefer more clarity in the lows, which I get with a Lindy Fralin in my four string Precision. Largely for that reason, I went with a 2008 Am. Std. Jazz V for my first fiver, and couldn't be happier. The tone stays clear all the way down. I generally prefer P-basses though, so it was a close call, and you certainly won't go wrong with the P5.

8. HeavyDuty

HeavyDuty Supporting Curmudgeon Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    Damn. I need to find one to demo.

9. Chef

Chef Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

May 23, 2004
    Columbia MO
    Staff Reviewer; Bass Gear Magazine
    I've spent a fair amount of time with both the J5 and P5, and they're both very finely executed basses.
    If you dig on a P sound, the Am Std P5 does that very nicely.

10. waynobass

waynobass

Feb 27, 2008
    Texas
    You already have enough basses. The economy is bad and getting worse; best to save your money. Fender P-basses are the most generic and boring instruments around. It could get destroyed in a natural disaster. You could spend the money on a gift for a loved one.

Hey, you said to talk you out of it!

11. ClassicJazz

ClassicJazz Bottom Feeders Unite!! Supporting Member

Sep 19, 2005
    Delray Beach, Florida
    Go crazy....buy two of them!

12. Buskman

Buskman

Apr 13, 2007
    Jersey Shore, USA

13. Dan Knowlton

Dan Knowlton Sarcasm: Just ONE of the many services I offer! Supporting Member

Aug 12, 2002
    Palm Coast, FL
    Yeah, you should not get one...unless you can't find one of the older Fender P-5's (VVBG!). Or you could do what I did and get an even nicer P-bass - I got an Alleva Coppolo KPB-5, which is absolutely an amazing bass.

Dan K.

14. Dr. Cheese

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    At the risk of rehashing a million old arguments, I know that Alleva-Coppolo is great, but is it a big enough of an improvement to warrant 3-4 times the price of an American Standard P5? For many the answer is yes, but for thousands, the answer will be a loud NO!

15. Dr. Cheese

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    Alleva-Coppolo:

16. Fretlessboy

Fretlessboy

Nov 29, 2007
    St Augustine Florida
    Endorsing artist GENZ BENZ/HERCULES STANDS/XSonics
    I think the P5 is sexy. I haven't played one but the videos sound good. Lakland is coming out with a Bob Glaub 5 this year so I will check that out too. I have tied Fenders 5 string J basses over the years (I have owned 3 of them) and couldn't get a tone I like or the set up right. I HAVE been thrilled with the Lakland Skylines tho. I'd love to find a Fender P5 to try because I dig the passive sound of a Fendr style bass... I think Lakland has nailed what Fender fell short in. I am not knocking Fender and wouldn't trade my '65 P for anything.

17. Chef

Chef Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

May 23, 2004
    Columbia MO
    Staff Reviewer; Bass Gear Magazine
    Not to me, no.
    The new American Standard build quality is very high.
    Say what you will, but a passive P is still "just a passive P."
    Fender used to lack in fit, finish, hardware quality compared to Lull, Alleva, etc.
    I don't think they do anymore.
    If you don't like the Fender pickup-whihc I think is just fine-you can sure replace it for well under $2k.

YMMV, etc.

18. Fretlessboy

Fretlessboy

Nov 29, 2007
    St Augustine Florida
    Endorsing artist GENZ BENZ/HERCULES STANDS/XSonics
    I am dying to play one. I have heard that Fender is getting their QC together. That's a good thing.

19. kirkm24

kirkm24

Jan 1, 2007
    Columbus, Ohio
    Wow! I really like Fender better in those clips although having Ed Friedland playing it probably contributes to it sounding better. What a great bass. I had one of these briefly and didn't like the B on it but I wonder if I had a bad pickup because even after adjustments, it just wasn't what I was wanting. The 2nd clip of the Fender sounds fantastic!

Fender's definitely stepped it up in terms of build quality. My 2008 P had really good fretwork, finish and playability. I took it in for some minor adjustments and it was fantastic. I have a 97 MIA P that I took for a setup and after $60 worth of fret filing, they got it playing pretty good. My CIJ Marcus Miller, on the other hand came in excellent playable condition and the finish and fretwork are spot on. Prior to this year, it could easily be argued that the Japanese basses were better quality than the American models.

20. I have to say I love the idea of the Fender P 5 string. But, I already have a vintage 4 stringer, so wonder whether it would be another case of "the idea being better than the reality"?

GAS - does it EVER stop???? hahahaha