Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Talk Me Out of an Euphonic Audio NL210???

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by jokerjkny, Jun 16, 2005.

1. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    thought i'd borrow a phrase and ask about the NL210. ;)

i only was able to spend a few minutes with one at (ALL HAIL) Bobby G's place, but liked the light carry, good tone, and decent low B handling. course, this was a mere "showroom" test drive.

so, any long term comments from you players? how's it under live conditions? any comparisons against an Acme B-2? how's the low B action during the gig and under the din of the band?

FYI, using Sadowsky basses, and an iAMP-800.

2. I personally have found i-Amp heads paired with EA cabs do not work out that great as far as cutting through a mix. I love EA heads but I have mine paired with an old Epifani 2x12 and the whole combination sounds much punchier. If you just solo or do not play with lots of other instruments or those that use alot of distortion, than the EA cabs work well.

3. David Wilson

David Wilson Administrator Staff Member Administrator Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    no, as one of your GAS enablers I refuse to talk you out of it ;)

I love mine, been using it live for last 9 months or so. I also use your old Epi UL-210. They're pretty similar, I think the low end sounds slightly tighter on the Epi, and the EA doesn't have the slight additional midrange presence of the Epi IME.
    It cuts very well live, the only real reason I got the Epi (apart from being able to try it out) is that the EA is 8ohms and the Thunderfunk can't fully drive it. So, for slightly bigger gigs, or indeed just when I feel like it I take along the 4 ohm Epi.

Hope that helps!

4. lo-freq

lo-freq aka UFO

Jan 19, 2003
    The Republic of Texas
    Specifically, which EA cabs have you tried live with the iAmp-800?
    Also what bass(es) did you use as well?
    Was the amp and bass (if active) run with flat settings with both EA and Epifani cabs?

Thanks for the input.

5. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    I tend to really like EA cabs with my iAMP 800. In fact, I think that the iAMP sounds its best through EA cabs (though I also like it with most other cabs). My exception, strangely, is Epifani. While I can get a good sound out of my iAMP/Epi rig, it seems to take some work, where as with EA, ACME, Bergantino and Accugoove cabs it's more plug and play. Different sounds appear to different people though, so subjectiveness definitely applies.

I haven't had a chance to update my 2x10 shootout since I got my NL-210, but without doing a direct A/B, compared to the Low B-2, the ACME is going to go deeper, but the NL-210 will have more midrange presence and sounds a bit warmer. It seems like with the Wizzy and NL-210, EA is going for a slightly more warm sound (relative to other EA cabs, not to the mass market), but still retain great clarity.

And no, I'm not going to be the one to talk you out of the NL-210! :p

6. Hey, Tom, how do you think the NL-210 compares to the VL-210? If you like the NL210 better, maybe I can talk.... "you know" out of the NL into buying my vl210's and I can upgrade to the NL's, shave some more weight off my rig....

Randy

7. tombowlus

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    I don't really have a preference. It's more about what sound you are after. The VL-210 goes deeper, and sounds tighter. A tad bit more clear, overall, too. The NL-210 is more warm sounding, a bit more full sounding (despite not being as deep on the low end), and sounds a tad less "clinical" than the VL-210. It also seems to play nice with lower powered amps, and sounds good at a wide variety of options. IME, the VL-210 sounds its best when it is driven fairly hard by a fairly beefy solid state amp.

The NL-210's are of course more compact and much lighter, but I've never really minded lugging my VL-210's.

Tom.

8. basss

basss

Aug 27, 2001
    NYC
    Just buy it
    You know your're going to buy it anyways so you might as well do it
    You wouldn't be the Joker I know if you didn't buy it
    Its only money
    Life is too short to play through cheap cabs

9. tombowlus

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Do you mind if I "borrow" that quote!?! :p

10. alexclaber

alexclaber Commercial User

Jun 19, 2001
    Brighton, UK
    Director - Barefaced Ltd
    I'm sorry, I'm too curious to read another Joker review. Spend spend spend!!! ;)

Alex

11. My cab is the Epifani older 2x12, not the 2x10. In other words, a world of difference. I do not know if the Epifani 2x10 would be better sounding than an EA 2x10, but my older Epifani 2x12 does indeed sound better with an i-AMP.

12. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    you guys are soooooooo wrong... :rollno: :D

and thx for the reviews guys!

dave,

yea, i think i remember hearing that the NL only comes in an 8 ohm size. :(

and dave, got a gig coming up? would love to hear those suckers in action.

13. lo-freq

lo-freq aka UFO

Jan 19, 2003
    The Republic of Texas
    ???

14. Dude, those cabs are way too accurate...it might expose a flaw in yer playing style...

there, have I talked you out of it? :D

15. basss

basss

Aug 27, 2001
    NYC
    Go for it. I think I "borrowed" it from your old signature anyways (the one about cheap beer, which is also true).

16. lo-freq

lo-freq aka UFO

Jan 19, 2003
    The Republic of Texas
    How about...you buy it and then I'll try and talk you out of it?

:ninja:

;)

17. tombowlus

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Thanks. That was brilliant. I can't believe I didn't think of it before!

18. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    got an email from John at EA, and he said, they're able to make a 4 ohm version of the NL210.

the plot thickens... ;)

19. WinterBass

WinterBass

May 19, 2002
    Hudson Valley, NY
    Endorsing Artist: MTD
    I purchased 2 of the NL-210 cabinets and run it with an Ashdown ABM head. 1 cabinet covers most gigs. I use two of them for that extra umphhhhh. They really are amazing.

Previously I was using a Bergantino 3x10 or a 1x15. Both Bergantino's will be for sale. The EA's are much lighter.

20. David Wilson

David Wilson Administrator Staff Member Administrator Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    uh oh, mixed with a woohoo!