Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Talk me out of buying a Sadowsky...

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by rulyøngo, Aug 8, 2005.

1. Hello fellow bassists. Last week I had the chance to visit Sadowsky and try a couple of basses. As soon as I entered the showroom a bass caught my eye, after a long time trying out basses the first one that I tried was my favorite, I can't explain but it felt like playing your favorite bass, a long lost friend!!! Ever since I have even dreamed about the bass!!!

What should I do???? Help me please!!!

P.S. Thanks to Nino for being such a nice guy!!!

2. Mr_Dave

Mr_Dave

Mar 11, 2005
    Melbourne, Australia
    Employee - Basscentre Melbourne
  3. That's what I'm thinking!!!

4. Fran Diaz

Fran Diaz

Mar 28, 2002
    Santander, Spain
    Bassist
    +1
    :bassist:

5. Ok, don't buy it.

6. Mr_Dave

Mr_Dave

Mar 11, 2005
    Melbourne, Australia
    Employee - Basscentre Melbourne
    your lucky and cursed that you could get to the show room.

it's awesome that you could like a bass so much, your going to get so much pleasure playing it every day if you buy it!! :hyper:

i hope i feel naturally at home when mine arrives untried... :meh:

only another month at the max

7. michele

michele Supporting Member

Apr 2, 2004
    Italy
    Let me dry this tear from my eye ... I remember the day I saw my beloved in that showroom. What you're waiting for ... RUN to Jay St. and BUY it immediatly!!!!!

8. Intrepid

Intrepid

Oct 15, 2001
    Sadowskys suck...I heard he secretly has them built by cheap labor in China and then ships them to NY and marks them Made in US. He has no skills too even if he did build himself. I once handed a piece of a wood to a 2 yr and told him to make me a bass, and it played 10x better than a Sadowsky. They are pieces. Don't buy them.

Testimony from Jake Baumer, the famous bassist you never heard of:
    "Sadowskys are pieces. No joke. I had one at a gig and the crowd just laughed at me. Even the untrained ears of the crowd knew it sucked. 'Hahah, Sadowsky, more like Crapowsky," they taunted."

Crapowsky indeed.

9. xshawnxearthx

xshawnxearthx

Aug 23, 2004
    new jersey
    jay street in brooklyn?

dumbo section?

fudge, if this is where you mean, i was right there and had no idea.

10. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Supporting Member

If you can afford it with little or no difficulty, then go for it. If you can't, then buy a less expensive bass (Fender, Lull).

11. bass555

bass555

Mar 16, 2005
    "Talk me out of buying a Sadowsky..."

No.
    No, I won't.

Ok, if there's one reason NOT to buy a Sadowsky, it's that there may be one left for me whenever I can come up with that much $$$

12. SteveC

SteveC Supporting Member

Nov 12, 2004
    North Dakota
    To address the topic...

I have never played a Sadowsky bass. I have used a Sadowsky onboard preamp and Sadowsky pickups. I put them in a MIM jazz bass. I don't know how it compared to a real Sadowsky. I don't remember the exact cost, but for well under $1,000 I had a great sounding bass. Played great, too. A used Sadowsky goes for well over that.

Are you a pro? Do you record? Do you play big time gigs? Will the audience at the local bar notice or care? Do you really NEED a $3,200 bass? I'm not saying that only pros should have a pro bass. I've had many. I'm not saying that if you really want it you shouldn't get it. I have done that as well.

What I am saying is really think about your situation and what you NEED vs. what you WANT vs what it will COST. I have spent a lot of money on gear. It's fun. It can also get you in trouble if you aren't careful. I am trying to dig myself out of debt. It sucks.

13. Selta

Selta

Feb 6, 2002
    Pacific Northwet
    Total fanboi of: Fractal Audio, AudiKinesis Cabs, Dingwall basses
    Just build yourself a Warmoth; same difference. ;)

-Ray

14. Petary791

Petary791

Feb 20, 2005
    Michigan, USA
    They make you fat.

So don't buy it.

15. RE:PEAT

RE:PEAT

Jun 24, 2005
    Los Angeles, CA
    Blue pill or the red pill, Neo! Choose your destiny accordingly. ;)

16. Stox

Stox

Mar 18, 2005
    London UK
    WHATS THE PROBLEM?
    If you can afford it and you love it- buy the damn thing, you will never regret it.

17. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Gold Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis

Man I feel for your situation, but I thank you for your post. We all love basses, but a dose of economic reality never hurts. Even if you are a big time pro, you probably cannot afford every bass that you like or find cool. If you are an enthusiast like myself, you have to learn what your realistic budget is and stick to it! There will always be cool basses that are beyond your reach. It doesn't take much before the negative impact of debt creeps up on you. In other words, get the Sadowsky if you can truly afford it. If not, cherish the memory and get something that will let you keep your lights on. ;)

18. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Gold Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    I said what I said because I know what it is like to buy what I thought was the ultimate bass only to turn around and want another. GAS is not logical, we have to acknowledge it but we also have to control it.

19. Dirty Dave

Dirty Dave

Oct 17, 2004
    Boston, MA
    If it feels like that you have to buy it....quick before somebody else does. :hyper:

20. Suckbird

Suckbird Banned

May 4, 2004
    Sweden
    Get a Wal instead.