1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Talk me out of buying Avatar over another Berg or Epi

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Hookus, Jan 4, 2008.

1. Hookus

Hookus

Oct 2, 2005
    Austin, TX
    Well, I may have to pull the trigger on an Avatar Neo 4x10. I currently use a HT322 with my V-4, but want another cab for my SVT-4. I had considered a new Berg 4x10, but really want a Neo cab. I already have one Berg-backache, don't need another, no matter how awesome they sound. Looked at the Epi UL410, but damn, I could buy the avatar and a P bass to go with it for the same price.

Can someone relate the sound of the Avatar 4x10 to the Berg or Epi. Am I missing a contender?

2. Here is the 410 Neo Chart

Other than the hole at 2500 Hz (design deficiency) it's a nice cab. It is fairly loud and rolls off below 65 Hz. Nicely made, good deal for the price.

Duzzit suit you?
    I have no idea, other than how it measures out.

3. Hookus

Hookus

Oct 2, 2005
    Austin, TX
    Well, mostly I want a light cab that sounds decent. This would be pretty much for gigging, so I really don't need a spectacular sounding cab, I have another rig I use to record. I need a good "utility" cab.

4. Crockettnj

Crockettnj

Sep 2, 2005
    North NJ
    So in your opinion is the response "dip" at 2.5K where the woofer gives out but the tweeter has yet to kick in, or is it something to do with the woofer or tweeter individually.

Seems like a great candidate for a midrange as opposed to a tweeter.

5. Hookus

Hookus

Oct 2, 2005
    Austin, TX
    That is a big dip, you would have to max the EQ in that range to make up for that. But how did it sound? Adequate? Have you ever tested any other configurations?

6. Hookus

Hookus

Oct 2, 2005
    Austin, TX
    Well, I bought a Neo 2x12. I cant wait to A/B it with my HT322.

7. joegeezer

joegeezer

Mar 9, 2005
    Northern Wisconsin
    Avatar Club#12 Eden Club Lucky# 13--USA Peavey Club#37 Carvin Club#5
    THAT review, I am looking forward to hearing. I think there's alot of ears not working when ABing expensive cabs. I am of the opinion, that a person wants to justify to themselves so bad, that they have spent their money wisely on a high buck cab, that their hearing becomes biased towards the expensive cab, so they feel better about having a lighter wallet. I am counting on your being an honest Texan, to give us the real deal review here!

I think you would have liked the 410Neo better though. That 212 only handles 500 watts, and that may be on the high side. The 410 does twice that. Maybe you could borrow one somewhere in town to AB also.

8. Hookus

Hookus

Oct 2, 2005
    Austin, TX
    Actually, I am buying a 2x10 to go along with it. I decided it would be nice to have something modular. As soon as I get it, I'll do an honest A/B. I did not spend alont on my Berg, I love it, but after all, I am buying another cab...

9. The point about the biased ears is a good one. Have an assistant run your A/B test with a blind. Put the cabs behind a roll of grille cloth, etc, so you cannot tell which cab is working. The cabs have to be balanced for equal loudness, or the ear will always favor the louder cab.

When I measured the Neo 410, it was on a hard surface. Surface reflections cause problems above the bass range, so the hole could be caused by this. If so, this is still what the user hears when the cab sits on a hard surface. Sitting on grass is more forgiving to the high frequencies.

More likely, the hole is the result of woofer rolloff, and lack of tweeter. The Eminence 2510 Neo has a very steep rolloff at 2500 Hz. The Avatar uses an OEM version of this driver. Cheap tweeters are not strong at this low frequency. Neither is an array of piezos. A matched compression driver will do it, but at a significant increase in price.

10. Hookus

Hookus

Oct 2, 2005
    Austin, TX
    I'll keep that in mind. Having an assistant is a good idea.

11. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

May 17, 2021