1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Talk Me Out of Buying this Ric

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by greggster59, Jul 19, 2012.

1. greggster59

greggster59

Oct 31, 2006
    New Jersey
    A 2012 4003 Mapleglow for a really good price, under $1600.

My last experience with a Ric was a disappointment. It had a slight warp in the neck, not a truss rod issue. I lost a few bucks on the return.

But, I've seen a few beauties as well and I'm trying to fight the urge...

2. FrednBass

FrednBass

Feb 24, 2012
    You should buy it

3. Don't do it...unless you can pay cash.

4. tjnkoo

tjnkoo

Apr 19, 2011
    Metro Atlanta
    If you buy it then you won't have money to spend on something stupid. Its really in your best interest, haha.

5. placedesjardins

placedesjardins

May 7, 2012
    If you have the cash in savings, then do whatever you want to. If buying it affects your monthly expenses, don't buy it.

6. greggster59

greggster59

Oct 31, 2006
    New Jersey
    It's not gonna break me.

The timing isn't ideal but I've been GASsing for a while now and I know this particular Ric is a beauty.

7. mellowinman

mellowinman Free Man

Oct 19, 2011
    Minneapolis
    Buy it, and post photos, for those of us who are too poor to do it.

I would do it, but I can't.

8. rickdog

rickdog Gold Supporting Member

Mar 27, 2010
    Do you have the opportunity to spend some time with this one before you put money down? If you play it and you like it and it doesn't have the issues the last one did, you can hardly going wrong buying it.

9. PBnJBassist

PBnJBassist

Mar 8, 2011
    Dallas, TX
    Don't buy it. Instead, cut out a piece of cardboard and color it like the Ric, air-bass along with your favorite songs, and then the GAS will go away after you realize your a P-guy. Then use the money to buy a P-bass, and if you have a P-bass (or more) already, buy another one (and a set of flats).

10. +1

If I got burned by a bass, I'd want to inspect and play the next one before buying.

But if you get a 100% money back gaurantee no-questions-asked return policy and don't lose any money on the deal if you return it, what have you got to lose?

When I like a guitar or bass, but have concerns about QC issues, I'll buy three, pick out the cherry, and return the other two.

Should be interesting if you buy it and it's another dog. It will make for (yet another) great Ric bashing thread.

11. greggster59

greggster59

Oct 31, 2006
    New Jersey
    Agreed. Yes, I will be trying before buying though I already know this is a good one. I still want to make sure it feels right, etc. The hassle I went through last time is not something I want to repeat.

So far, I'm leaning towards getting it.

12. sninja

sninja

May 21, 2012
    Tokyo, Japan
    Just buy a good JazzBass)

13. BullHorn

BullHorn

Nov 23, 2006
    Israel
    Get it. Hate it. Sell it. :)

14. Moloch666

Moloch666

Apr 22, 2012
    Buy the Ric for those of us too broke to get one ourselves! :)

15. greggster59

greggster59

Oct 31, 2006
    New Jersey
    I already have an awesome Fender MIA Jazz (2008)

Just keep coming back to Rics.

16. Duke21

Duke21

Nov 14, 2010
    Narvik, Norway
    Seems like you really wants this Ric, and rightly, why shell we stop you?

17. greggster59

greggster59

Oct 31, 2006
    New Jersey

Yeah,you're right. Poverty would be the only reason not to do this and, after a year of being nearly that way, I am in a position where I can make this happen.
    I'm going to call the guy today and, hopefully, have it by the weekend.

Thanks all.

18. armybass

armybass Gold Supporting Member

Jul 19, 2001
    Don't buy it....give me the guys number and I will remove your temptation ;)

19. blackba

blackba

Sep 7, 2008
    Michigan, USA
    I would go for it. Sounds like your previous ric experience was due to issues with that particular bass. I think this one will be different for you.

If I ever get a 3rd bass, it will be a Ric for sure. :)

20. phillybass101

phillybass101

Jan 12, 2011
    Artist, Trickfish Amplification Bartolini Emerging Artist, MTD Kingston Emerging Artist. Artist, Tsunami Cables
    Don't buy the RIC,they are overated and overpriced and you've already had a bad experience with one. If you want something different and you have that much cash, do some looking and buy yourself a used boutique bass someone is selling like a Stambaugh, Clement. Bordwell, Brubaker, Roscoe or a high end production bass like a Spector. You said talk you out of it. If a RIC is really what you want by all means get one. But i would play it before I bought it. Like the other person said, buy it, hate it, sell it.