1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Talk me out of buying this

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Bill Thorsberg, Feb 14, 2020 at 8:16 AM.

1. Bill Thorsberg

Bill Thorsberg

Aug 2, 2019
    TN
    Squier Affinity Series PJ Bass Limited-Edition 3-Tone Sunburst - its only $159.99 brand new and including delivery on ebay from musician's friend. How come its so cheap? Is it a reasonable piece to setup and use regularly? Will it fall apart after a month? is there a difference between this sunburst model and the black or red or white ones that makes it less desirable? I was thinking of selling / trading off a couple of my older or less traditional basses and grabbing this supposed bargain. Help me figure out the best strategy from here!

Capture.JPG Captureaaaabb.JPG

2. Rabidhamster

Rabidhamster

Jan 15, 2014
    I don’t know if I’d trade 2 basses for an affinity it’s the lowest end Squier. Depends what instruments you’d be losing.

Still they’re basses, no reason they should spontaneously fall apart.

rickwebb and bassstrangler like this.
  3. Gabbs

Gabbs

May 15, 2010
    Boulder Creek, CA
    If you've only got $160, it's alright. The parts aren't great, but it is technically a bass.

rickwebb, TNCreature and FugaziBomb like this.
  4. bholder

bholder Affable Sociopath Supporting Member

Sep 2, 2001
    Vestal, NY
    Received a gift from Sire* (see sig)
    I've read some good reports (and listened to an impressive video) on Squier Affinitys recently. Quality of inexpensive basses has increased greatly lately, it would seem. Still, I've seen folks report getting those much cheaper.

5. Paulabass

Paulabass

Sep 18, 2017
    Put some loc-tite on the threads of the bridge, and it should last quite a while. One small dependability issue. If you knock a regular Fender tuner it will bend, but still get you thru the night. The tuners on Squiers and many other brands in the price range just snap off. Not good in the middle of a gig.

6. Bill Thorsberg

Bill Thorsberg

Aug 2, 2019
    TN
    My expendables include a dean acoustic bass that I thought I could use for rehearsal with a couple guitar players but its not loud enough, and a Peavey 90's era Milestone II (Intl ver) P-Bass. I do like the neck on the Peavey though for some strange reason... but it just seems like I should have a Fender-esque P-Bass (albeit a PJ) in the fam

MCF, alanloomis1980 and filwitheneff like this.
  7. derekeugene

derekeugene Supporting Member

Jul 11, 2008
    Kansas City
    It'll do what a bass does, and you may get a good one. But more likely it'll be heavy, need a decent setup, and not sustain or play very well.

For under $200, I'd just watch the GC used page for a couple days. You can find a lot for around that and the shipping is usually only like $18. If you're set on the Fender style, I'd be on the lookout for a Classic Vibe or some brand of older MIJ bass. They pop up there all the time. If you're feeling especially motivated you can call the store and get more details on it and maybe have their tech set it up.

8. Warpeg

Warpeg Supporting Member

Jun 20, 2005
    Ohio
    Of all the basses I’ve ever seen, it’s certainly one of them. :rolleyes:

Gabbs, Ghastly, el murdoque and 16 others like this.
  9. LowRick

LowRick

Mar 24, 2019
    Garrelsweer
    I started with an Affinity and never regretted it
    Never even remotely had the faintest idea of going back to one either...

10. i never talk anyone out of buying a bass. I'm that dude on the corner in your neighborhood when you were in high school, with the good stuff, and the skanky girlfriend...and I'll just keep talking until you finally give in and buy what I have to offer. I'm an instigator.

Buy TWO of them...

BnB

drumrtommy, DrMole, Microbass and 3 others like this.
  11. filwitheneff

filwitheneff

Feb 22, 2008
    SEMO
    Personally, I'd say keep the Peavey Milestone bass. That Squier isn't going to be any better. And if you're really set on getting a "Fender-esque" bass, save up for a better quality model.

12. Maxdusty

Maxdusty

Mar 9, 2012
    Michigan USA
    I tried the same bass this past weekend, actually pretty good. Worth trading those two basses for? Depends if you use the other two or if they just sit around most of the time. I would try one at a local store and decide if you prefer it over the Milestone.

Last edited: Feb 14, 2020 at 9:01 AM
    Ghastly and alanloomis1980 like this.
  13. Lobster11

Lobster11 Supporting Member Supporting Member

Apr 22, 2006
    Williamsburg, VA
    Agreed. For not too much more you can find a better quality P-style bass, especially if you shop used.

BTW, I'd also keep the Dean ABG. You're right that it's useless for playing with a band, but it's great to keep on a stand in the living room (or wherever you spend the most time) to grab spontaneously at any moment for a quick practice, or to work out something you're hearing in your head, etc.

filwitheneff likes this.
  14. morgansterne

morgansterne Geek U.S.A.

Oct 25, 2011
    Cleveland Ohio
    My drummer friend bought a used affinity for $40 which I cleaned and setup nicely. I didn't care too much for the pickups but it played fine. So you'd be paying 120 bucks too much.

Hope that helps

MynameisMe, DrMole and Lobster11 like this.
  15. CatchaCuda

CatchaCuda Supporting Member

Feb 3, 2018
    Transfer, PA
    I'd regret letting that go. YMMV

16. bassstrangler

bassstrangler

Mar 2, 2015
    Selling or trading gear for a $159.99 Squier seems odd. These basses pop up used all of the time for sub $100.

It won't fall apart after a month. If it's a limited edition it means it didn't sell, and MF is moving them out reduced 20%. Limited edition Squier Affinity seems like an oxymoron to me. And from the looks of the wood grain in the picture, it's not attractive at all.

For a beginner bass I'm sure red, black and white sell more and appeal to younger players. Sunburst with lousy grain doesn't appeal to anyone IMHO.

A good bass to upgrade, but hey I'd recommend saving you're money and buying a used Mexican Fender instead.

17. bassstrangler

bassstrangler

Mar 2, 2015
    Never experienced this problem with Squiers, unless you're talking about those really cheap tuners that have the covered gears, and small winding posts. Typical tuning machines on these Affinity basses are sturdy. I've seen a few that are bent as well.

18. Eighthnoterock

Eighthnoterock Supporting Member

May 25, 2018
    Lynden Washington
    It's been a very long time since I looked at or considered the purchase of a bass on the more inexpensive side of the street. I have never played a Squire of any type. No reason, just haven't.

But I will say that there are a crap ton of people on this site that have and are staunch supporters. Sift through the comments. Dump the ones that say you will lose your soul if you buy this or it's better than an Fender American Standard.

Having given this probable useless information, remember. It is a $160 bass.

Ghastly likes this.
  19. You can get more used Yamaha, Peavey, Ibanez or Squire for that kind of money, any day of the week.

20. strost

strost

Oct 2, 2008
    Blacksburg, VA
    Have you considered applying to Fender's marketing department? "Squier Affinity Series: It's technically a bass."

Gabbs, tpa, MynameisMe and 9 others like this.