1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Talk me out of buying this

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Bill Thorsberg, Feb 14, 2020 at 8:16 AM.

1. Lobster11

Lobster11 Supporting Member Supporting Member

Apr 22, 2006
    Williamsburg, VA
    dalkowski likes this.
  2. Bill Thorsberg

Bill Thorsberg

Aug 2, 2019
    TN
    Something about the "brand new" aspect of it is appealing in some way, but the consensus opinion seems to be that this is, even at the $160 price point, perhaps not a comparatively valuable long term instrument investment that I should undertake (isn't that kinda counter-intuitive "comparatively valuable" at $160?).

Lobster11 likes this.
  3. JRA

JRA my words = opinion Supporting Member

i don't know! but if it truly floats your boat = why not?

i just purchased a couple of verifiable cheapies as platforms to modify into great players. it can be done easily these days, now, because of the CNC machined parts. so whether you played it as is or you upgraded some aspects to suit your preferences = you can get some great instruments starting out with humble pedigrees.

good luck! :thumbsup:

4. RedMoses

RedMoses Supporting Member

Jul 4, 2012
    NYC
    Save your money, get the best used Bass you can afford.

5. Lobster11

Lobster11 Supporting Member Supporting Member

Apr 22, 2006
    Williamsburg, VA
    If you are thinking about this as a "long term instrument investment," then I'll redouble my effort to talk you out of it. This bass is really designed/intended for a beginner, to either be replaced by something better if said beginner gets serious about playing or to collect dust in a closet if not.

6. Lava

Lava Supporting Member

Jul 14, 2014
    El Paso, TX
    I remember helping friend out by working on his kids Affinity bass and came to find out that some of the metal parts were pot metal. Hopefully the quality is better these days but I wouldn't hold my breath. Junk...
    IMO

magyk8ball likes this.
  7. Wesley R

Wesley R Gold Supporting Member

You would be trading down, please do not.
    Be happy, continue your search and remember looking is 1/2 the fun.

MynameisMe and Lobster11 like this.
  8. bassstrangler

bassstrangler

Mar 2, 2015
    The Chinese Affinity basses with the boxed in gears on the tuners are crap. The tuner ferrules are plastic.

The Indonesian Affinities are not bad. Definitely not top of the line but definitely not junk.

Lava likes this.
  9. drumvsbass

drumvsbass

Aug 20, 2011
    Winnipeg
    The worst case scenario is something goes bad with the neck, get a new neck from warmoth. It's the only risk in any cheap instrument as everything else can be changed or fixed. You might end up putting more money in for upgrades but would still be under the price of the next level up in fender land. It still leaves me scratching my head a bit why people pay 6k for a Pbass shaped object.

TrustRod likes this.
  10. kmon

kmon Supporting Member

May 11, 2009
    Austin, TX
    I'm sometimes tempted by these cheap basses. The Dean Paramounts call my name sometimes.

It's such a crapshoot though. Some of them are decent, some are terrible, some are tolerable.

I'd absolutely get a used Vintage Modified or Classic Vibe wayyyyy before I got this.

The Mogpipe and gh0st42 like this.
  11. I was gonna say get it, the Affinities has been pretty good lately, and I’ve read several reviews stating the LEs are a step above. But then I read....

^100% this. I had the J version milestone, and it slayed. Great basses. Just save up for a real Fender (or any number of great intermediate-level instruments) and keep testing basses in person til you find one you fall in love with.

I do have an acoustic Dean, and it’s nothing to write home about. If you can sell the Dean for the Squier money, maybe. But even then, you’ll just have 2 entry level basses, when really you should have cash in an envelope towards something better.

filwitheneff likes this.
  12. iiipopes

iiipopes Supporting Member

May 4, 2009
    They make good Christmas/Birthday gifts for other beginner bass players....

MynameisMe and Lobster11 like this.
  13. lfmn16

lfmn16 Supporting Member

Sep 21, 2011
    charles town, wv
    It’s bass-ish.

DrMole and ak56 like this.
  14. tpaul

tpaul Supporting Member

Mar 19, 2011
    Vermont
    There's nothing wrong with a Squier Affinity. There. I said it.

Look, these are the bottom of the line of Fender's affordable brand. But they are still light years ahead of the beginner basses everyone suffered and learned on in the '60s and '70s. You can find a used one for $100 or so, but if you really want a new instrument for cheap, this is a reasonable solution.

On the other hand, the Peavey you already have is just as good.

TrustRod and alanloomis1980 like this.
  15. gh0st42

gh0st42 Supporting Member

Oct 25, 2019
    Colorado
    Personally I'd hold out for a used Squier Custom Modified or Classic Vibe for maybe another $50-100.

You'd get much better quality for not much more money.

Alternatively, if you just want a "beater/project bass" for as little $$$ as possible, consider a Glarry/Exquisite/Burning Fire P or J Bass clone. All the same basses, just different brand names.

They seem to get decent reviews on here, comparable to the lower end Squires, and go for about $60-75 with free shipping. Sometimes they go on sale for about $35 shipped.

A pretty big thread about them here:
    Official Exquisite/Glarry/Burning Fire Bass Club?

16. Maxdusty

Maxdusty

Mar 9, 2012
    Michigan USA
    For a brand new bass, the Squier isn't a bad option but for that same $160, you can get a pretty good bass used.
    This past weekend, I was at Music Go Round, I was choosing between a Squier Affinity PJ in great condition for $160 +tax or an Ibanez SR500, missing a knob and bridge in dire need of cleaning for a little more at $215 out the door but played amazingly well and the set up was top notch. Oddly enough, the mahogany finish was in good condition, usually the weak point in this model. Well, while the Affinity PJ sounded and looked great and tbh, I had my heart set on picking up a PJ bass as most of my basses these days are dual humbuckers, I ended up buying the Ibanez, it was too good to pass on.
    I guess what I'm trying to say is you can either save your money, get a used Squier Affinity PJ for about half the price, or for that $160 you can move up and look for a better used bass, either a Squier Classic Vibe or another bass altogether. My new way of thinking these days is you want to try and buy an inexpensive budget bass, buy a used one as cheaply as possible as it's likely going to be sold or moved later on, if it's a keeper, then you got one at a great price. No risk, no loss either way.

alanloomis1980 likes this.
  17. Bill Thorsberg

Bill Thorsberg

Aug 2, 2019
    TN
    I do enjoy the Peavey neck - nothing like my 72 Jazz but it is a surprisingly nice instrument to play and it does give me a reasonable representation of a P Bass fit form and finish... Ahhhhhh - I think I'm over my crisis now - I've been talked back from the edge of the cliff with my credit card. Thank you all for your input. Opinions here are always a GREAT read and very insightful. Appreciate the love for the Peavey Milestone I'm feeling from yall too! I guess I'll keep her a while longer!
    PVPBASS.jpg

18. GIBrat51

GIBrat51 Innocent as the day is long Supporting Member

Mar 5, 2013
    Lost Wages, Nevada
    Shoot This Dog 1.jpg Well, Okay... If You buy that bass, we'll shoot this dog!! ;)

MrNylon and Lobster11 like this.
  19. Bill Thorsberg

Bill Thorsberg

Aug 2, 2019
    TN
    Oh Man! don't go there - jeeeeez! Just put the gun down and walk away...

20. Might be really 'not bad at all.' I bought a Strat guitar of that line and aside from a little basic setup it's plenty good for me, but I'm a hack on guitar. Real players say it's quite competent. If it IS terrible, send it back. I would urge you to buy it and try it awhile before you commit to selling something else, if finances will temporarily allow it.

21. Mannyinnewyork

Mannyinnewyork

Sep 28, 2016
    New York
    E5BA6674-5469-410B-8394-8A54623A2AF4.png FEE0014A-ECD4-4470-969F-F0EB781FBD09.jpeg

Do you have a fireplace? Yes, just kidding, do whatever you want. You know what you’re buying.

Here’s my affinity Pbass, with Duncan pickup. Played great and sounded great .

Last edited: Feb 14, 2020 at 2:09 PM
    Zoobiedood likes this.