1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Talk me out of buying this

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Bill Thorsberg, Feb 14, 2020 at 8:16 AM.

1. diegom

diegom Supporting Member

YAY!!! Glad you're keeping the Milestone. Much, much better bass than that Affinity.

DrMole, Lobster11 and TylerJ like this.
  2. ZedLepp

ZedLepp

May 12, 2013
    Wait, talk anybody out of buying gear? What am I crazy?
    How can one even think of such an idea?

3. TylerJ

TylerJ Trying to find the elusive Brown Note Supporting Member

Jul 29, 2017
    Virginia
    I bought my 7-year old daughter a used Ibanez bass (a purple SR) that's a few notches up the quality ladder (I think?) than a Squier Affinity.

While I play my 'Ray everyday, I will on occasion take her bass out for a play and I gotta say, it punches above its pay grade.

I tried out a few Squiers a few months back when I was encouraged to look into the possibility of adding a P bass to my 'Ray since I have never played a P bass before. Was not impressed with the Squier line at all. I don't remember the models (Affinity, Classic Vibe, what have you), but I do remember liking my daughter's Ibby more.

The point is this--if you are after a Fender looking instrument, you can do much better than that Affinity. If you're looking to add another bass to your quiver, then $160 isn't such a bad price to pay, though you could do much better than the Affinity. My daughter's Ibby cost about $150 with tax (bought in a local GC). Of course, YMMV.

Though, if the first aspect is what's really at play, why not get a Glarry? They look like a Fender and cost half the price of the Affinity in the original post.

Last edited: Feb 14, 2020 at 2:01 PM
    DrMole, alanloomis1980 and gh0st42 like this.
  4. EatS1stBassist

EatS1stBassist

Apr 15, 2016
    So cal
    That’s a great bass!

5. Realmongo

Realmongo

Jan 13, 2020
    Western Mass
    Might not be too bad.
    The sale has it priced below their low cost Bronco Bass.
    I paid $119 for the MB-100 from them when they put it on sale and that turned out to sound pretty good.

EatS1stBassist likes this.
  6. nilorius

nilorius

Oct 27, 2016
    Riga - Latvia
    The best way would be to try it out at diffrent amps and cabs, but i guess it can not happen. Well, the price is nice and maybe you will be a winner.

7. Kukulkan61

Kukulkan61 Supporting Member

Feb 8, 2011
    Northern Arizona
    Ok, don't get it, it's a piece of :poop:..

TNCreature likes this.
  8. Not a Peavey guy but you made the right choice. I’ve looked at several of these affinities before and some were good and some not so much. So many corners have to be cut to produce a bass at that price.

9. rockinrayduke

rockinrayduke Supporting Member

Dec 30, 2007
    Henderson, NV
    It would be a pretty decent beater bass for gigs after some mods, of course.

10. twinjet

twinjet Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Sep 23, 2008
    Talk you out of it? Get a Vintage Modified used for $150 anywhere that resells instruments.

pcake, The Mogpipe and EatS1stBassist like this.
  11. Joecooch

Joecooch

Jun 19, 2016
    Alabama, USA
    You get what you pay for. A year from now when all the frets have sharp edges because of the improperly dried wood used to build the neck has shrunk, and it won't stay in tune because the tuners have already started to wear out, and those dollar pots they use for volume & tone are worn and scratchy sounding, you'll wish you had spent another $50 and bought an Ibanez.

DrMole and gh0st42 like this.
  12. JZQuantum

JZQuantum

Oct 12, 2008
    I would not try to talk you out of it. It should be a good bass. You might have a bad setup, questionable tuners or the J pup may not meet your expectations or something, but you'd have a good platform for mods. It's pretty hard to mess up a p bass, they are that good.

That said, for $160, I might try a 1990s Peavey Fury p bass. They are American made and punch waaaaay above their weight.

13. Wfrance3

Wfrance3 Supporting Member

May 29, 2014
    Tulsa, OK
    If you aren’t concerned about weight, it could be good. Sure looks nice. The fit and finish in the squire side of the fender store is not as together as the stuff that is outright branded fender.
    If it was me, I would want to play it first. I know you are doing mail order thru sweetwater who (I think) has a decent return policy, although I’ve never personally ever returned anything to them. I think this bass could be setup to play nicely, just be aware, it is what it is, a $170 bass...

14. Playbyear

Playbyear

Nov 20, 2019
    MA
    It’s a good deal for a brand new bass. I’d say its the best brand new bass for $160. It’s also the only brand new bass at that price with full Fender headstock.

Of course, you can get something a lot nicer for $300. The best, inexpensive brand new bass I’ve found recently is the Sterling S.U.B Ray4. The overall quality, fretwork and playability are impressive for the price. BUT, it’s not a P bass (if that’s what scratches the itch right now)

15. Gilmourisgod

Gilmourisgod

Jun 23, 2014
    Cape Cod MA
    The Affinity is a good beginner or beater/backup bass, you gotta figure anything sold in a "combo pack" with a crappy little amp isn't going to be great. With a few upgrades (pups, tuners, wiring harness) you'll get to "OK", by which point you will have equalled the cost of a used CV or VM series. Might as well shortcut directly to a used VM.

16. Gibson Victory

Gibson Victory Gold Supporting Member

Dec 21, 2019
    Wow! Have I been down this road before. Trust me, save your money here and in the end get what you REALLY want. So once again the “Victory” here has a bedtime story that is 100% true and factual. It’s your money and decision to make make, but here it goes. Back in the late 50’s early 60’s I was in a local music shop to get some new strings, and generally “annoy” the current counter people by looking at things that I most likely could not afford. As a young “PAK” I made like $1.75 an hour, before taxes. An elderly gentleman walked in that they all knew well. Brought his Bass in for some new strings and a checkup, etc. The guy was very tall as I remember, and wore a suit, tie, and top hat. It was like over a 90 degrees in the shop, and while we were all dying from the heat, this guy never broke a sweat. When he opened up the latches on his case, it was like “Musical History” was escaping or something. I know it was a Fender, just not sure which model. So anyway after a few moments, he came over to me, put his hand on my shoulder, (will NEVER forget that “flash” off of the ring he was wearing) and said “Son, let me give you some advice. Buy the BEST you can, And take care of it”. His advice has always served me well over the years. So bottom line here, it might best best to avoid “instant gratification “. Put the iPhone away, throw a blanket over the keyboard, and FOCUS in on what you really want. Life is full of choices, best of luck.

TylerJ, EatS1stBassist and gh0st42 like this.
  17. Set up the affinity well. Replace the pickups and install quality strings. She will respond to your playing as she should, it will sound well and I cant think of a reason it should not hold up (remain stable and playable) indefinately with reasonable care. Myself, I prefer a straight Precision, not the PJ. Just my opinion.

18. It's okay. The e string blows up and distorts when you pluck it (also happens on the jazz) so you need to turn the gain down a little. Neck isnt great. You'll see when you're setting it up. It sounds alright. It's got the cheapest pots and hardware ever created on it. But, dude it's 200 bucks and looks good. Get new pots, replace the tuners when they go, and swap the pickups for some quarter pounders. That's like 150 bucks more to have a killer little bass. I bought the Olympic white one with the black pickguard. It looks great, like a straight yin yang. 200

19. MYLOWFREQ

MYLOWFREQ Supporting Member

May 13, 2011
    New York
    Imo the Affinity won't be any better quality instrument than your Peavey. That being said, I've had good experiences w/ the affinity. I got a j and a p, and j w/ a different neck. I like them because they're usually light (p is 8.1 lbs). Also, I got the J for used for $70, and it came with a brand new hardcase.

20. MCF

MCF

Sep 1, 2014
    US
    Well, they’re generally light weight. They have that going for them. I have one as a total thrasher. Crappy tuners. Anemic pickups, non-existent fret end finish work and cheapest bent bridge available. Other than that.....