1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Talk Me Out Of It!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Beginner Bass, Apr 17, 2010.

1. Buy the Dean

4.2%
  2. Buy a Different Bass (Specify in post)

10.4%
  3. Buy Something Else (Specify in post)

2.1%
  4. Save the money

83.3%
  1. Beginner Bass

Beginner Bass

Jul 8, 2009
    Round Rock, TX
    A&R, Soulless Corporation Records
    I'm going to to be getting $200 soon, and was looking into getting a 5-string Dean acoustic bass (I found a used one for about $205 that I don't think anyone'll get), but I'm not sure. So I'm trying to think of what to use it on, bass-wise. I would save, but I'm not going to be able to make much money until November, which is when the state child labor laws say I can get a job. I don't need a new amp.

2. spambot772

spambot772

Aug 31, 2007
    save for a year and buy a nice bass and amp that will last you a while. its always cheaper to save and buy something nice than to constantly upgrade mediocre basses.

3. Beginner Bass

Beginner Bass

Jul 8, 2009
    Round Rock, TX
    That'll be just torture...

4. mtizzle

mtizzle

Mar 23, 2008
    I think you won't be satisfied with your purchase. Save it. I've never played an ABG, but many of the people that have around here dislike them.

5. Woofer

Woofer

Sep 24, 2008
    OBX
    +1 to saving the dough. Practice what you have now, squirrel away every penny you can get your hands on and buy yourself something nice that you won't have to upgrade later.

6. black.rose1402

black.rose1402

Jan 10, 2007
    my man, save the money and buy the bass you really want in your heart!
    I saved money for one year to be able to buy my fodera imperial, so I tell you if you save money , you'll be soon at the head of a good amount of money, able to buy the bass of your dreams!

7. Nobody

Nobody Banned

Jul 14, 2004
    gravel
    OOD likes this.
  8. Jazzcat

Jazzcat

Jan 20, 2009
    Titusville, FL
    Barter your labor with someone who is willing to pay you in basses. Do it now.

9. TortillaChip520

TortillaChip520

Jun 3, 2008
    AZ
    Save it for something really great, because in a week you'll be gassing for something more expensive, only you'll be $200 closer than you would if you'd've bought the dean.

10. nic salsus

nic salsus

Mar 16, 2010
    Buy it.
    You'll hate it and you won't play it much.
    Might be the best $205 you ever spend.

11. Bassist Jay

Bassist Jay

Dec 28, 2009
    Sterling, CO.
    Endorsed by K.B. Guitars, Nordstrand Audio Pickups, Von York Strings and Gallien-Krueger Amps.
    Save up and get an Ibanez Soundgear Bass. Either the SR 400 or the SR 500.

12. Beginner Bass

Beginner Bass

Jul 8, 2009
    Round Rock, TX
    OK, the vote seem unanimous. The only problem was that there's little to ne forseeable income to fund my exploits.

13. CannyBusDriver

CannyBusDriver

Jan 21, 2010
    Kansas
    Save your money. If you only have two hundred and must spend it, look into used bass guitars, like a yamaha bb or a ibanez sr800, maybe 250 for a g&l tribute. 5 strings are bad at cheap prices though, the b string wont sound to good.

14. cassanova

cassanova

Sep 4, 2000
    Florida
    I'm with those that say save up for a good bass. Keep practicing the one you have. When you start working in November you'll be able to have the money in no time flat. Keep thinking of that old saying, "good things come to those who wait."

15. Senator

Senator

Nov 11, 2008
    Get a Tascam Bass Trainer.

16. bassbenj

bassbenj

Aug 11, 2009
    You really don't give us enough information to help. For example we don't know what basses you have right now. We don't know what kind of music you are presently into. We don't know why you think an acoustic 5 string would be interesting to have. We don't know what other gear you might need more.

Here's the deal. An acoustic bass guitar (and yes I own one, my Carvin AC50 5 string and I LOVE it! But was NOT priced like a Dean!) has a rather narrow application. For some things there is NOTHING like it. But it's not going to be a main axe. And since I presume you are a noob, this Dean acoustic is clearly going to be a personal education in all the things I'm talking about. It's why I bought mine and even at Carvin price levels was more than worth it. It's simple. There is nothing like buying and then living with a bass as an "education" as to what it offers and how it fits in the big musical picture! If you look at it that way, it will be money well spent. Just use the time between now and employment to find out just what it is about acoustic basses!

17. save up for a fender P, don't need anything else

18. Evil Undead

Evil Undead

Oct 31, 2009
    +1

19. Rocinante_x1

Rocinante_x1 Plus ça change, plus c'est la même chose Supporting Member

Aug 22, 2004
    Washington State
    Squier

20. MooseLumps

MooseLumps Supporting Member

Nov 4, 2007
    Portland
    The quickest way to double your money is to fold it in half and put it back in your pocket.