1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Talk Me Out Of It!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Beginner Bass, Apr 17, 2010.

1. Buy the Dean

4.2%
  2. Buy a Different Bass (Specify in post)

10.4%
  3. Buy Something Else (Specify in post)

2.1%
  4. Save the money

83.3%
  1. Happynoj

Happynoj

Dec 5, 2006
    UK
    I like turtles.

2. waleross

waleross

Nov 27, 2009
    South Florida
    If you can't wait then get a Squire P or J bass (around $199). A 5 string for $200 sounds like a bad buy. I Paid $1400 for a Fender American V bass and its a beauty. The Tascam Bass Trainer for $200 (I have one) is also a good buy. $200 is enough to get something good but not enough for everything.

3. Beginner Bass

Beginner Bass

Jul 8, 2009
    Round Rock, TX
    A&R, Soulless Corporation Records
    I was kinda just hoping to try ABGs, and that was the only one in the price range I could find that had 5 strings.

4. blockinlay

blockinlay

Feb 21, 2009
    Phila Pa
    Save for one of the basses on your gas list.
    You will see cheapo basses will come and go. Resist the urge.

5. If you already have a bass, don't get the Dean. I got one 'cause I had nothing else, not even an amp. Knowing what I know now, I would've gotten an SX bass (www.rondomusic.com) with that kind of money. I see the Dean ABG as a beginner thing only to learn the basics on. It is nice to have something kick around though. The part that'll surprise you is how big the thing is.

6. jefkritz

jefkritz

Oct 20, 2007
    iowa city, IA
    if you're just looking to try an ABG, i say go for it. i love my dean acoustic 4-string. definitely try it out first, but throw some flats on it and it'll be sounding pretty solid.

i never gig with it (though i would in the right circumstance), but it's great to have a bass sitting around that doesn't require plugging in. also, it's harder to play than my low-actioned electrics, so it's a workout in that after playing it my electrics seem easier :)

but saving money is always good too.

7. spambot772

spambot772

Aug 31, 2007
    k dude, thats BS.

when i was 13 (too young to work where i come from, and trust me, it wasnt long ago) i took odd jobs from all over the place, raked lawns, mowed grass and eventually saved up enough money to buy my first camera (im a photographer) which was a substantial investment.

people are always will to hire/pay people, you just gotta get out there. summer is comming up, there'll be tons of labour jobs available, and in november you'll be able to get a part time job. if you save right you could have enough for a nice ibanez SR and a combo amp by christmas.

8. these threads always happen, the OP wont listen, he obviously wants it . He isnt really thinking about the long term part of it. but thats ok, if you really want it go for it. just a forewarning though, 90% of people start with bad basses and 70% drop out cause they dont like the sound and dont realize its their own fault for not saving for a better bass. go for it if you need to, but think about the long run. and if u do ignore this entire thread, which im 75% sure you will then atleast stick to it and dont be turned off of bass because of the poor sound coming from it.

9. the general

the general

Jul 8, 2008
    save, save, save! and while your saving, if at all possible, get out to the music stores and try out some basses. if you find a bass you really like, say one that cost $350 or something, then you know how much to save to get there. i promise you, you will be happier long term with a better bass.
    but if you absolutly have to get a bass, like your head will explode if you don't, i'd say get an ibanez gsr200. i think they're only about $200 last i checked

10. Thunder Pulse

Thunder Pulse

May 12, 2007
    Grass-growing season has begun - mow lawns. Easy money.