1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Talk me out of MM'ing my J

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by EricssonB, Jun 14, 2012.

1. EricssonB

EricssonB

Apr 5, 2011
    CO
    Picked up a '97 Korean Jazz bass at a yard sale for $40, looking to drop less than a hundred bucks into making it a hot instrument. I understand that there are probably more expensive/higher quality parts that I could drop into it -- not the point. This is less than $30.

:cool:

gfsmmpromuma.jpg
    (mouse-over for source)

Any reason that I shouldn't put one of these in the neck position? Would probably wire it up to have a single-coil switch to keep it somewhat a J.

2. Slowgypsy

Slowgypsy 4 Fretless Strings Supporting Member

Dec 12, 2006
    NY & MA
    Good score... have fun :cool:

3. Muziekschuur

Muziekschuur

May 25, 2009
    Stavenisse
    You need an active 2 band or 3 band eq to get anywhere near the musicman sound...

4. EricssonB

EricssonB

Apr 5, 2011
    CO
    Yeah my friend mentioned that, too. I was pretty settled on just kinda leaving it as-is, with a little bit of a parts refresh until I saw this video, which I'll admit is probably a far departure from putting that GFS MM pup in there -- really stuck in my craw and I got to daydreaming.

Was hoping that it would be a compromise. :bassist:

Tony Franklin