1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

talk radio thru my amp

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by miner49er11, Apr 17, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. miner49er11

miner49er11

Jun 24, 2006
    Jagsonville
    Ok. I'm a relatively new bass player at 58. I'm receiving a local AM radio station thru my amps. Seems that the electronics on my Ibanez BTB are picking up this radio signal when I go straight into the amp, no effects. How can I eliminate this without adding any of the typical effects in between? Can I put a choke or filter somewhere in the circuit to block the signal? Thanks.
    ~Pete

2. Stumbo

Stumbo Wherever you go, there you are. Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 11, 2008
    Cali Intergalactic Mind Space - always on the edge
    Song Surgeon slow downer software- full 4 hour demo
    Maybe try a different cable to see if that helps. You also might want to try another bass just to check to see if it's the amp or cable. Also, try your bass in another amp just to check it out.

3. Vakmere

Vakmere

Sep 6, 2007
    Philly
    If you can hear a ball game on it you may be on to something marketable.

4. tpmiller08

tpmiller08

Mar 15, 2009
    Boston, MA
    I got the same thing with my Ibanez 12 watt practice amp. Try moving it to the other side of the room, worked for me. Every once in a while Ill get it again, but I just laugh. I think its cuz im crazy and not looking to buy something to fix it :p

-Troy

5. uaudio

uaudio

Apr 11, 2008
    Arizona
    I bet you can isolate this problem if you change up power outlets, cables, and player location. Also, consider copper shielding tape.

6. Papazita

Papazita

Jun 27, 2008
    Ohio
    Eh...do what Adrian Belew does; incorporate it into your song. :cool:

7. zenrad

zenrad Supporting Member

Feb 4, 2009
    Bergen County, NJ
    Basically there's a wire that's acting as an antenna and your amp just happens to be able to pick up that frequency.

I deal with RFI (radio frequency interference) in my home because I'm a Ham radio operator, and there are ways to prevent it.

Guitar shielding is important, but I only ever had this happen with an old Polytone amp.

I'd first try the suggestions above, try different cables, a different power cord, make sure you're properly grounded - your house wiring can also act as an antenna.

There are RFI chokes you can try installing - snap on ferrite beads can be purchased at Radio Shack and you can try starting with your power cord. Your power chord may be pulling in the signal from your house wiring. Your amp may also not be shielded properly, the ferrite beads may choke the signal before it gets to your amp (you've seen ferrite beads, they're the cylinders in your computer monitor cable or other power cables).

You could also try a power strip with RFI protection. That may be the only choke you need.

You can chase it down, but it might take some time. RF is tricky but there are a lot of resources out there - PM me if you want more detail on the subject.

8. miner49er11

miner49er11

Jun 24, 2006
    Jagsonville
    Thx to all. Weird. It seems to only occur around dinner time... Aha! My wife is making this happen so she won't have to keep calling me for dinner all the time! Seriously, thx zenrad and all. Turns out it's my 15' generic instrument cord. Tried the short 8' cheapo cord that Ibanez throws in with the bass, no Rush L. I think I'll try moving back into the other room first, but can I use one of those chokes on a coax instrument cord?

9. Rock-Bassman

Rock-Bassman

Dec 25, 2008
    Boston
    Wait like talk radio like ball games? That's revolutionary! Now lets crank that sucker up!!! Go Red Sox!!! Hehe that would be the coolest radio evah!!!

10. Mystic Michael

Mystic Michael Hip No Ties

Apr 1, 2004
    New York, NY
    You may think the problem is limited to your instrument cable, Miner. But actually your instrument is infested with the dreaded "Limbaugh cooties".

I'm afraid there's no other remedy available but to burn it... :bag:

MM

11. miner49er11

miner49er11

Jun 24, 2006
    Jagsonville
    NOOOOO! :bawl: But wait... Maybe Sarah Palin could "de-Limbaugh" the bass for me... amongst other things :wink:

12. I started a thread last year with Glenn Beck coming through my amp. I found out that it was due to my Monster Cable. I switched it with a Bayou cable, which is braided canare wire, and that fixed the problem.

13. Chris Fitzgerald

Chris Fitzgerald Student of Life Staff Member Administrator

Oct 19, 2000
    Louisville, KY
    What part of "no politics" is so tough to understand?

I think the thread can be useful, but I'm going to close it until the local mods can clean the partisan flamebait out of it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.