Talk some sense into me . . . .

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Steve Clark, Sep 3, 2004.

1. Steve Clark

Steve Clark Supporting Member

Jan 9, 2004
    London ON
    I made a terrible mistake of going to Club Bass in Toronto. I have already bought an iAMP800 and Bergie 115 this year.

I went to try out the Bergie 210. Well there's no need to try it is there? I figure the iAMP800/HT115/HT210 will be all the bass amp I will ever need. What I did try was a Sadowsky Metro 5. I wanted to see what all the fuss was about. Dave Freeman warned me it would blow me away. Needless to say as soon as I picked it off the stand I was impressed. Super light!! And of course plugging it in was an eye opener. Nice to have a jazz that doesn't hum.

I don't know what to do. I already went in there with not enough money for a 210 but can swing it just fine. But now that I have tried the Sadowsky I don't know what to do. This is truly the first time I have ever sat down with a bass and it "spoke to me" as I have read in so many threads.

I am going to go back tomorrow with my Marcus Miller V and do a back to back comparison. I'm thinking I should get out of there with the 210 and my credit still intact. But I will dream about that bass tonight. I did try a Lakland and maybe I will try a few others as well to try and clear my head.

I suppose I could sell the MMV. And do I really need a fretless 4 if I have an EUB? Maybe I can sell that as well.

What to do fellow TB'ers? :bawl: :bawl: :confused: :confused:
  2. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Gold Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    Be careful, that Sadowsky may be the first bass to "speak" to you, but it won't be the last. Just keep a level head and keep the music, not the instruments, first. ;)
  3. ApeIsHigh81

Aug 24, 2004
    Agreed. I'm sticking with my 75 reissue and that's IT until I can play the live version of School Days. Then I'll just have to get an Alembic ;)
  4. bizzaro

Aug 21, 2000
    Can you compare the Lakland (which model) with the Sadowsky? I don't think I can help you. Though my bass arsenal is modest compared to many, I still spend much more on it than I should considering my finacial situation :(
  5. r379

Jul 28, 2004
    Dallas, Texas
    If you liked the i 800/HT210/HT115 combination, I say finish what you started out to do. This way you'll have your stage rig up and running the way you want it. With careful shopping, you can always find a used Lakland/Sadowsky/Mike Lull/ad infinitum later.

Almost everytime I buy an expensive piece of gear in the heat of the moment, I wind up wishing I'd been more patient. I resisted buying a bass Monday. Today I'm glad I don't own it. Just my experience and opinion...
  6. lenorules1950

Aug 20, 2004
    Meriden, CT

Wow, I thought I was the only one...
  7. Coutts_is_god

Coutts_is_god Guest

Dec 29, 2003
    Windsor, Ont, Canada
    The first bass to speak to me was this maple 75 P-bass. I can play it when ever I want because it is my friends dads bass.
    Oh I love that thing.

Remeber if you truly love it set it free if it comes back to you it was ment to be.

I did that with this Explorer bass at a store once I said if I come back here when I have my money and it is there i would buy that instead of my amp. Luckly it wasn't there so I got my KICK @$$ amp.
  8. i dont know dude!

the first bass that spoke to me was a fender american jazz bass absolutly unbaliveable!!! i cont even explain it in words! i tried a different bass but the same model american jazz and it felt different and sounded different, every time i go back to my local music store i always play that american jazz bass there is just something so speacial about!
  9. Steve Clark

Jan 9, 2004
    London ON
    Good advice all round. Thanks everyone. I'll still go to Club Bass and do a back to back. And play a few others to see if this Sad is the real deal or not. I put new strings on my MMV to get a better comparison.
  10. JOME77

JOME77 Supporting Member

Aug 18, 2002
    I feel your pain Steve! That's why I'm glad that there are no decent music stores in the the Macon Georgia area! It's bad enough being able to look at all the great looking basses (and hear about them) on TB! I went on a road trip to Atlanta a few months ago to check out all of the decent music stores. First time in 4 years! I was very content with my 2 Roscoes and Gecko 5 (recently completed). I was doing just fine too until I happened to pick-up an Elrick 5! :help: To use your terms, "It spoke to me"! I was strong enough to get out of the store but the following week I couldn't stop thinking about how great it played and sounded! Next thing I know UPS is delivering an Elrick to my house. I'm not going to Atlanta for a long, long, long, long, long, time! ;)
    My suggestion to you is:
    1) admit that you have a problem. (GAS)
    2) then go out and buy the Sadowsky!
    On the bright side, the Sadowsky Metro seems to be a bass that would retain a high resale value. :cool:
  11. Steve Clark

Jan 9, 2004
    London ON
    I suppose I could put the Sad pre amp and hum cancelling pups in my Marcus Miller V but then it wouldn't be an MMV anymore. Seems like there is more to this particular Sadowsky than the sound. Is there such a thing as a bad Sad?
  12. Steve Clark

Jan 9, 2004
    London ON
  13. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    What? Is this some kind of sick joke?
  14. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

Steve, good luck with your decision.

But if you expect this bunch of GAS infested gear junkies to talk sense into you, you are in trouble!:D

I mean, I have 11 basses, including three that cost over $2000 new. One of them is over $3000 new.

And yet I GAS over stuff like a Peavey T-40, and a Gibson RD-Artist. Both of which have 4 strings, and since I am a committed fiver, neither would get a lot of playing time.

It's a disease, man, and it sounds like you have it too.

May God help us all!:D
  15. bluemonk

Dec 17, 2002
    Well, since you've gotten some reasonable advice, we can get more real :p
    The thing is, having and playing an instrument that really speaks to you can be an inspiring experience, so if you do end up buying the bass, don't beat yourself up about it: enjoy!
  16. ApeIsHigh81

Aug 24, 2004
    I have an idea.... grab some inexpensive DiMarzio ultra J 5ers' since they are essentially the exact same thing as Sadowsky humcancellers, and an Aguilar OBP-3. And there's your modern sounding raised pole-piece wonder. For vintage growl on steroids, same pre-amp, Antiquity II or Fralin pups.
  17. temp5897

temp5897 Guest

I would recommend *not* doing anything that is a financial stretch.
  18. JOME77

JOME77 Supporting Member

Aug 18, 2002
    LOL! :D
  19. Lockout

Dec 24, 2002
  20. bizzaro

Aug 21, 2000
    Yea, that is what I was asking! I mean if the bass is talking to you I hope it goes beyond the beauty of the beast :eyebrow:

I have been jonesing for a Sadowsky for a while now. It is only a matter of time. Don't listen to Jared, he is young and responsible :eek: That just isn't right :rolleyes: Poor Kid. :rollno:

Is the Metro their Asian Model? Korea?