Talk to me about: Hartke 7000 + 4.5XL + 215BXL

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by wardak, Mar 15, 2003.

1. I've been looking at some different options for a rig, and the latest stuff I'm looking into is the Hartke.

Originally drawn to the 2200, I'm wondering about stacking a 4.5XL on a 215BXL and using a 7000 to power it. (Original thought was get a 2200 and add a second 2200 if I needed it, and use a 7000 to be ready for that--also, it seems I can use the stack or just the 4.5 as needed and it costs roughly the same, maybe a little more for new, and maybe less if I find some used stuff)

Features and specs look OK to me, and I know that I can do somewhat better in terms of more ruggedly-built products from other companies, separate components that are of higher quality (pre + power + better compressor + better EQ, etc) and so on, but all that starts adding up to a rack, and more expensive, and just basically getting out of control (When I want to keep it simple, I can just take the amp and the 4.5)

It seems that the Hartke dealerships in my immediate area are pretty sparse (Dayton, OH), so finding these products all together in person is kind of tough.

• 5-string
    • rock, pop, funk, country
    • not many effects at this time but maybe in the future
    • I tend to favor a bassy-er sound with present well-defined mids and some smooth top end sizzle
    • I like a little bit of compression

So, give me your thoughts! Have you heard this setup in action? Anything you noticed good/bad about it? I've heard a variety of Hartke gear (different pieces at different times, not the 215 yet--I plan to track it down somewhere, and I've heard other 15's, and 10's with a 15 combinations) Thanks!
  2. bentem

Oct 18, 2002
    Rockville, MD
    Ive heard good things about the hartke alluminum speaker speaker cabs.
  3. cb56

Jul 2, 2000
    Central Illinois
    I have owned a Hartke 7000 and an old 410 XL (no tweeter) The set up you described will flatten small buildings and blow farm animals into the next county! :D AND it will sound damn good. As far as "bassy-er" sounding, no you could do better elsewhere but I think with the 215 you it will be bassy enough:D Those 410's can't be beat as far as well defined mids IMO. Enjoy :bassist: BTW my 7000 died but I had bought it used so who knows how it was treated. I'd say if you put it in a rack and treat it with TLC you'll be ok.
  4. for the past 8 years and it is the best cab I've owned. ( I also own a SWR triad )
  5. patrickj

Aug 13, 2001
    Baltimore, MD

They rock hard :D

6. I imagine that the 2.5 with an 1800 under it could be an option too...

I see no reviews or personal experiences on the web about the 1800, besides the specs though. For whatever it's worth the 1800 is their lowest frequency-rated cab, as far as specs on paper go. Hmmm

I originally left this option out because I wasn't sure I'd be happy with the 2.5 as a stand-alone cab when I wanted to stay simple (amp and 1 cab); however "1 cab" may be the rarest way for me to use the rig anyway, other than a practice.

I guess I do favor the .5 part of the 2.5 or 4.5 cabs, I like the idea of a matching high-freq speaker instead of the horn. But that alone does not dominate this decision.

Who is the largest Hartke dealer in the Ohio/mid-West area? I'd travel to see all this gear in person, even to the surrounding states if need be.
  7. Nick man

Nick man

Apr 7, 2002
    Tampa Bay
    Im considering the 215BXL.....

Its got an insane amount of low end, but thats about it. I wouldnt bring that alone to a gig unless you juts wanted top do some serious sub sonic dammage and nothing else.

I think the 4.5 with that is a bit overkill, but maybe a 2.5 would make more sense. On the other hand, the 2.5 alone might not be enough for medium size gigs where the 4.5 alone would be fine. I doubt you'll need to bring them all unless its a really big gig.

They're all nice cabs BTW.

8. The hartke 4x10 aluminum cabs are great. For slap, the tone can be harsh but they sound KICK ASS fingerstyle and they really do let me play fast funky jaco lines on the low B string and sound wicked tight. For slap, I'd reccomend the 2.5xl and a single 15 if a 4x10 and 15 is too much to carry... But I think the 4x10 will do you great.

The 3500 is a great head which powered a single 4x10 hartke cab just fine and it got pretty damn loud and great tone. I can't picture you having problems with an xl cab and a 7000 head considering that I may have plugged into the 4x10tp... Im not sure what 4x10 i plugged into, but I know it wasn't an 800 dollar cab, and it seemed like I could easily manage ANY GIG with that cab. HOwever, if you find a 4x10 to be enough, i'd try getting 2 2x10 cabs, and you can ALWAYS use just ONE of them and add a 15 below it. Stating the obvious, but this is how I look at it.
  9. ndjx

Oct 26, 2001
    I think the HA7000 with a 4200 Pro 4x10 cab and 1800 1x18 would be a pretty damn awesome rig.
  10. I'm going to try to see a 4200 sometime next week. Any good places to hear some Hartke gear in the Norfolk VA area? (Soon to be new to the area...)
  11. hujo

Apr 18, 2001
    Stockholm, Sweden
    With the criterias you listed, I think you'd be very happy with that rig..
  12. robareed

Feb 12, 2004
    i finally got this setup and the 215xl rocks for low end. i like the 2.5xl better then the 410 because the cab is only 200w at 8 and the 7000 outputs 240 at 8 and you can add a 210xl later on for a 410 with a horn thats modular with the same speaker and load config.

13. Wow this is an old post! I eventually went with a pair of Eden 2x10 XSTs and a WT 800 head. Works nicely for everything I do. Lots of boo-tay, sounds great, and the pair of 2x10 cabs makes it easy to manage depending on the situation (one lump? ...or two?). Having trouble imagining needing more than that--bigger would be a PA.
  14. I guess I should check dates on these posts, cause I was so ready for a "Hartke" discussion like this that was more positive than negative.

For what it's worth I do wonder sometimes why some people say that the 215XL is only good for thundering lows when I can also get the mids I need and highs as well or anything in between.....could it be the amp they use or even their Bass, not sure. I know 12's are what alot of people are looking at now but for me I would never downsize from this 215XL, as a matter of fact I would like to add a 410XL on top of it but as you know the 215XL is a 4 ohm cab and the 410XL is a 8 I don't know how I'd ever put that together.

Hartke Bass Attack
    Spector Performer...................
  15. johnprophet

Jul 6, 2005
    I used this setup (hartke 5000, 215xl, 410xl) for the last 10 years with very little issues until somewhat recently when a roadie (read: my guitarist's friend who wanted a free ride to chicago) dropped my head and cracked the board in two.

The cabinets are still ready and willing to work.

Anyone using the combo of a 215xl and 410xl with at least 200 watts a side (at 4 ohms) is going to be very pleased with the power and versatility.

My style combines funk, jazz slap, finger, chords distortion and tap and I've been playing my 6 string (low string tuned to A) through it forever. I always had more power than I needed and with the variable crossover you could "tune" your low end to suit the room. The highs are crisp and snappy, the lows are deep and shake the walls of any small to medium sized venue.