Talk to me about speaker protection circuitry

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Scott Lynch, Jan 20, 2017.

1. Scott Lynch

Scott Lynch Supporting Member

Nov 27, 2002
    Delaware, USA
    I am trying to use the aux in on my Magellan 800 as a pseudo second channel to drive my keyboard bass.

As I understand it, the Magellan has a built in fixed frequency HPF which I believe was added to the circuit to protect against speaker damage. An inquiry to Jeff Genzler revealed that the aux in bypasses both the HPF and the DI. I figure a suitable preamp pedal with a DI would do the trick, and would allow me to send separate signals to FOH while using the Magellan as a monitor.

Are these types of filters commonly added to amps and/or preamp pedals?

Are they designed for speaker protection or other purposes?

2. agedhorse

agedhorse Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 12, 2006
    Davis, CA (USA)
    Development Engineer-Mesa Boogie, Development Engineer-Genzler (pedals), Product Support-Genz Benz
    Sometimes, sometimes not. Depends on the intent of the designer.

Again, it depends on the intent of the designer. They are used for speaker protection, control of very low frequencies, and as a voicing mechanism.

Scott Lynch likes this.
  3. Scott Lynch

Scott Lynch Supporting Member

Nov 27, 2002
    Delaware, USA
    Thank you!

agedhorse likes this.
  4. BogeyBass

BogeyBass Inactive

Sep 14, 2010
    High pass filter is used for many things.

For bass use would help reduce the mud and rumble from extremely low frequency's and protect speaker drivers from over excursion. Can also reduce the amplifier operating temperature. By reducing frequencys that most speaker systems can't produce effectively but still generate a lot of heat and current draw within the amplifier regardless of the frequency response of the speaker drivers.

It doesn't make a amplifier more powerful. It just makes more current available to frequency that are more usable to us as bass players. And reduces current and heat that would be wasted trying to produce frequency that is damaging or otherwise not produced by most musical instrument speaker systems.

Thermal issues have always imposed issues to amplifiers. Tube or solid state. Class AB, Class D etc etc. Heat is enemy to a amplifier

Likewise high pass filter is helpful to acoustic players or upright players. Just like electric players , reduction of extreme lower frequency reduces booming and muddy tone. Also reduces feedback and extreme resonating of the acoustic body of the instrument. Since acoustic instruments are more effected by its own amplified signal. And being around other highly amplified instruments.

But the integrated high pass on a amplifier I'd assume to be more aimed to product quality or reliability. Would theoretically reduce the chance of the amplifier damaging speakers. And help reduce operating tempature and current draw. Specially for monolithic integrated chip based amplifiers
    Which have limited thermal dissipation. And would decrease the odds of a amplifier reaching the integrated thermal shutdown safety feature found on most chip based amplifiers. Or actual component failure and damage to amplifiers without thermal safety features.

Last edited: Jan 21, 2017
  5. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Aug 4, 2021