1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Talk to me. About SVT's.

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by JoshuaRyan, Jan 15, 2012.

1. JoshuaRyan

JoshuaRyan

Dec 27, 2011
    Knoxville, TN
    I used to be kind of an SVT hater (I just didn't understand the hype) until two nights ago, my band played a show with a band called SOSAVEME. They're harder than my taste, but great guys. Anyway, I used their bassist's 90s SVT-CL instead of toting my amp...I loved the thing. So here's my question. I have $700. Should I wait and save? buy a Vietnamese one? find an old one (like an MTI)? Where would I find one for cheap?

Is it just a dream to think I might find an SVT for under a grand?

2. anderbass

anderbass

Dec 20, 2005
    Phoenix. Az.
    If you shop around you can sometimes find used CL, 2 or 2pro SVT's for a grand or less.
    I found good deals on both of my SVT's by posting wanted ads on my craigslist.

3. jackcheez

jackcheez

Sep 13, 2010
    Long Beach, CA
    I found a nice MTI for $900. I see the occasional SVT-CL for less, but not very often.

4. One Drop

One Drop

Oct 10, 2004
    Swiss Alps
    Wait and save, worth it IMO.

It will also give you the time to find out a bit more about them, and be able to recognize a good deal. Look for a '70s one that has been fully serviced fairly recently, or a used VR in excellent working order, should be possible to find one for around double what you have to spend right now.

If you really dig the Classic, save another few hundred and you'll find a good one.

It'll save you spending more down the line and you might never need another amp!