1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Talk to me about the OC-2

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by *insertcoolname, Apr 13, 2009.

1. Ok, I know, I should search cause there's a million topics on it blah blah blah. All I really see in those threads is one side saying it's a horrendous piece of junk and the other saying it's awesome. So, that kinda gets me nowhere...anyway, I found one that I'm thinking about picking up. All I really need in an octaver is an octave down control and a signal control. So basically what I'd like to know is:

-down to what note does the OC-2 track well? And how good is that tracking quality?
    and
    -what's a good price that I should pay for one?

Help me out ya'll!:help::bassist::help:

2. fightthepower

fightthepower

Jan 7, 2008
    San Diego
    i heard it was a horrendous pos in like a million threads

3. RCCollins

RCCollins Supporting Member

Mar 23, 2008
    San Diego, California
    no way dude it's AWESOME it's a classic and perfect for that synthy, semi-lo-fi octave GRIT

you're just being a cork sniffer :smug:

4. CliffD

CliffD Gold Supporting Member

Jan 27, 2008
    San Diego/Seattle
    I think ftp was using sarcasm, an old old wooden ship from the civil war era, very interesting indeed.

5. warwick.hoy

warwick.hoy

Aug 20, 2006
    Spokane, WA.
    Beta Tester: Source Audio.
    Search harder. Great thread for technique advice as well. (I only know of this thread becuase I started it.) Read the whole thing.

The particular post that answers your tracking question although there will probably be some argument to that.

I'd support such an argument if my OC-2 was home with me at the moment. I also have to add better soundclips to that thread. The existing soundclips make the OC-2 look bad but I was trying to illustrate my issues. It really is a good pedal...you just have to know how to use it and adjust your playing style.

6. fightthepower

fightthepower

Jan 7, 2008
    San Diego
    hehe, the OC-2 is great, it sustains notes on my pbass down to about the low B or C on the E string. Moving up the tracking is great and sustains very well with clean playing. At the 12th fret with the -1oct solo'd, it decays very natural with no warble.

7. takfar

takfar

Dec 21, 2008
    Regarding tracking, different beast here, but since it's also a Boss pedal, I figured I could add something...

I find that, by playing carefully (muting, stacatto), my SYB-5 can track fine down to the low B string (on a 5-stringer), but tends to worble and crap out when playing the higher notes.. basically anything above G on the D string is at risk of glitching out, and this only increases as the notes get higher... I don't think it has to do with dead spots, as it's pretty consistent (the higher the note, the higher the chance of the SYB effing up)...

8. dannybuoy

dannybuoy

Aug 3, 2005
    England
    My OC-2 tracks down to low F on the E string. It even tracks well after fuzz, which sounds great as you end up with a clean synthesized sub-octave underneath your wall of distortion.

9. TRY ONE!!! I happen to really like it. It's a sound some like and some loathe.

The Digitech Bass Synth Wah at a sorta similar price range in the 'Bay also does the octave down thing and sounds pretty similar, plus you also get all the sick synth noises, and a not bad envelope filter as well.

Tracking depends totally on how clean your picking and damping technique is. If your technique is good it'll track cleanly down to open E (except on sustained notes). If you flail away as hard as you can with no damping, etc., it's going to sound like pus.