1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass 2014: Come test it out and let us know what you think!

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by paul, Oct 28, 2013.

1. paul

paul Staff Member Founder Administrator

Jul 20, 2000
    Texas
    [edit: this thread is old - new beta demo coming soon]

2. Gorn

Gorn

Dec 15, 2011
    Queens, NY
    No!!! Change frightens me.

I kid, I kid. It looks great.

3. DWBass

DWBass The Funkfather

Not diggin' it!

4. paul

Jul 20, 2000
    Texas
    Can you believe it's been 8 years since we've upgraded forum software? 8 years in the software industry is like 60 years (or more!). There will be those who don't like the drastic change - that's why we're offering the "Retro" style - available in the style picker, lower-left side of the screen. It looks a little more similar to vbulletin.

5. paul

Jul 20, 2000
    Texas
    Any particular aspect you're not diggin'? Functionality or visuals?

6. tastybasslines

tastybasslines Banned

May 9, 2010
    Los Angeles, CA
    Posts are now considered "messages"?

For example:

JimmyM
    New Member, from Apopka, FL

The likes are a great idea to see cool posts within threads, but ONLY if you can still view the thread in standard chronological order as we do now.

I don't see the new look being any better than the current one. All I really care about is the ability to have it look sterile. Less conspicuous ='s more time on TB at work.

EDIT: I love the hover feature when you are over your name at the top...can you please add "your posts" to that dropdown menu so I can quickly see the recent threads I'm involved in? (Participated) I sometimes use my Android device just to see all new responses in those threads, even when I am using the desktop site.

7. paul

Jul 20, 2000
    Texas
    Yes, posts are "messages" and PM's are "conversations". Threads will always stay chronological. This upgrade is more about functionality and security, rather than visuals. We can modify the style or make new styles as needed. Some of the functionality, such as the "alert" system, you won't see unless you post around and other people "like" your posts, or reply to watched threads etc.

8. DWBass

DWBass The Funkfather

Visually! Just so used to this site. I know change is inevitable though! Question? Will we lose our post counts?

9. gregmon79

gregmon79 I did it for the muff... Supporting Member

Dec 20, 2012
    Chicago IL
    Hmmmmm. I will have to check this out on my PC when I get home. But from what I saw on my iphone in safari, it looks pretty cool. Sort of excited, sort of scared. But since they've updated the app for IOS7, I'm game for anything. It's buggy as heck still on the app. Better but still buggy. It'll be nice to see some new parameters. It took me a few months to get used to TB but I loved it once I did. I'm sure I'll feel the same about the new setup.

Sub'd

10. MJ5150

MJ5150 Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Apr 12, 2001
    Olympia, WA
    It's alright. I like the frames, boxes, and lines around everything how it is now. On the new site, it looks more like everything is free form.

*Disclaimer* The only part I checked out was Off Topic.

-Mike

11. warwick.hoy

warwick.hoy

Aug 20, 2006
    Spokane, WA.
    Beta Tester: Source Audio.
    I hate it.

12. MonetBass

MonetBass ♪ Just listen ♫ Supporting Member

Sep 15, 2006
    Tulsa, OK
    How helpful. :rollno:

It looks good. As with everything new, it will take some time to figure out the navigation. :cool:

13. warwick.hoy

warwick.hoy

Aug 20, 2006
    Spokane, WA.
    Thanks.

I do what I can.

:smug:

14. BurningSkies

BurningSkies CRAZY BALDHEAD Supporting Member

Feb 20, 2005
    Syracuse NY
    Endorsing artist: Dingwall Guitars
    Looks good to me Paul. It definitely has an updated feel while not being completely out in left field. I didn't post to it, but I did poke around in a couple threads. Its interesting, when looking at one of the main forum pages (like amps), in Chrome it shows me a small copy of my avatar on any threads I've posted in. It doesn't do that in Firefox.

15. two fingers

two fingers Opinionated blowhard. But not mad about it. Gold Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
    It looks very "clean". It has a real Windows 8 look to it. The ads are kind of big. But I don't hate that cuz a guy's gotta make a buck. Overall it looks really neat and clean. I like it.

Now, just let me change the color to one of a few options and I'll be set!

(I had to pick on SOMETHING or I wouldn't be a real TB member.)

16. Put me down as a no likey.

17. warwick.hoy

warwick.hoy

Aug 20, 2006
    Spokane, WA.
    How helpful.

18. MatticusMania

MatticusMania LANA! HE REMEMBERS ME!

Sep 10, 2008
    Pomona, SoCal
    Not bad.

I feel as though it should have an "upvote" and "downvote" feature... :D

19. tastybasslines

tastybasslines Banned

May 9, 2010
    Los Angeles, CA
    Can you make an option for TB where if I pay, my user experience will be ad free? I use it so much, I'd probably pay for that if the price was right. I want it looking as sterile as possible.

20. MatticusMania

MatticusMania LANA! HE REMEMBERS ME!

Sep 10, 2008
    Pomona, SoCal
    I think we have that option already, but it comes with one of the higher tiered supporting memberships.

edit- Yep, Gold Supporting Membership "Ad Free option"

http://www.talkbass.com/forum/payments.php