Talkbass Basses ...Can "boutique" basses be your daily driver ?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by mb94952, Nov 20, 2021.

1. It ain’t the bass, it’s the player.

Dave Neal and lowdownthump like this.
  2. Gusdfunk

Gusdfunk Supporting Member

Aug 10, 2017
    Bay Area
    When I see live music and the bassist got a Zon, Smith, boutique etc., I'm like "F*** yeah! I want one/gotta bring mine out." If the bassist is playing something so standard that it's unidentifiable, they had better have great tone/feel.

3. Lackey

Lackey

May 10, 2002
    Los Angeles
    Your mileage may vary - but I see plenty of Fodera basses with Pope preamps backing major pop acts, and they sound great.

And you can get any pickup you want in a boutique bass. That's kinda the point. Fodera makes a passive P bass if you so desire.

4. A9X

A9X

Dec 27, 2003
    Australia
    Bit of a broad statement but I managed to gig my Alembic Distillate (initially) and then my Steinberger XL2 in a multi genre band for years.

BlueTalon, Geri O and PhatBottomBass1 like this.
  5. doctorremulak

doctorremulak

May 14, 2021
    I have two favorite high end basses though only one would be considered boutique. One is a Lakland 44-60 which is just like a custom shop J bass.
    The other is from a builder called WoodyWoodcasters. It’s a P body with in-house wound P type pickups but I ordered it with a J neck. I don’t desire any of the basses from that list. I don’t care for way out body shapes and too many bells and whistles. But anyhow I use both live and they work fine.

Attached Files:

Rick Penrose and mb94952 like this.
  6. I considered the comment regarding needing a POS to really cut through that dence heavy mix...without dealing with all the mud a Mike Pope or similar preamp and whatever pickups could be involved...

I play DR Pure Blues Nickel Rounds on my Warwick...my first move would be some D'Adarrio XL Super Steels and if that weren't enough, it would go to tapper cores of the Super Steels. That will cut through concrete!

mb94952 likes this.
  7. Lackey

Lackey

May 10, 2002
    Los Angeles
    ....by POS do you mean FSO?

Last edited: Nov 24, 2021
    smeet likes this.
  8. ^^^^
    Point was, I would look to other lesser included issues, on any given Bass, beyond the need to get another Bass because you just can't make it happen without a new ride!

9. PeteOlig

PeteOlig

May 29, 2007
    Wisconsin
    Boutique basses as daily drivers? Absolutely. Other than a short-scale hollowbody and my upright bass, my two Muckelroy basses (fretted and fretless 5-strings) are all I play.

Jeff Elkins, Dave Neal and mb94952 like this.
  10. I’m just a kid from the 70’s. A Ric and a P are all I can relate to. First time I heard boutique, I thought of the place where my mom bought gifts for her friends.

Bruno1950, mb94952 and Lackey like this.
  11. A9X

A9X

Dec 27, 2003
    Australia
    Must...resist...commenting...must...resist...commenting...must...resist...commenting...must...resist...commenting...must...resist...commenting...must...resist...commenting...must...resist...commenting...must...resist...commenting...

12. Turnaround

Turnaround Commercial User

May 6, 2004
    Toronto Canada
    Independent Instrument Technician
    My Number One, the one bass amongst seven others, gets 90% of the gigs. My main rig, one of two, gets 90% of all the gigs. Both are "boutique" gear.

mb94952 and Lownote38 like this.
  13. Snarf

Snarf

Jan 23, 2005
    Tri-state
    I'm seriously curious, can you point to some live examples of these Foderas being played? I'd like to have a listen to the mix.

And your second point is true, of course. But to get the sound I like, I'd have to have them take the pickup out of my Fender and put it into a chassis that, IMO, is well into "diminishing returns" territory. But take my opinion with a huge grain of salt. I'm very much a practical person, with a . . . . frugal . . . streak.

14. Lackey

Lackey

May 10, 2002
    Los Angeles
    SNL bassist plays a Fodera. I've seen other live bands backing pop acts on tv with boutique basses, Fodera etc. I can't point to one offhand. They're out there. I'm far from a Fodera fanboy but the preamp and dual pickups gives a lot of variety. They're popular amongst pros for a reason. I get an even bigger thrill when I see somebody playing a Yamaha or something like that.

Dave Neal likes this.
  15. Real Soon

Real Soon

Aug 15, 2013
    Atlanta, GA
    Sure, for periods my MGBass Extreman got all my playtime.

Why not now? Because it's a fine four-string and I'm currently practicing mostly on six-string bass. But if circumstances (i.e. coming gigs) made me need to spend time on a hotrod four-string, I'd put everything else away and live on the Extreman.

I mean, life is short, y'know. Play basses you enjoy playing, every time!

BlueTalon likes this.
  16. Geri O

Geri O Endorsing Artist, Mike Lull Guitars and Basses Gold Supporting Member

Sep 6, 2013
    Florence, MS
    Check out most anything by Tom Kennedy. First player that comes to mind. He gets great sounds from his Foderas. He just released a solo jazz album that just rocks. I'm a big fan.

Afc70 and TonyP- like this.
  17. WillyW

WillyW l’art pour l’art, fonction de baise

Dec 10, 2019
    I don’t have boutique basses, but I have a couple that haven’t been made for a long time, and we’re rare even when they were made.

I bought them because I love them and would not hesitate to play them out if the spirit took me.

But truthfully my sub $600 builds would serve the same porpoise….

The watch I wear every day is worth more than my car, and twice as much as my most expensive bass geetar….

18. John Batson

John Batson

May 10, 2018
    I was asked to set in and didn't have a bass with me. They had a house bass that was a Walmart bass literally. You know the beginner bass from hell. Someone had set it up pretty impressively and I grabbed it and played it.. The price of this thing new was like 79.97 new. Strangely enough people were asking what kind of bass it was. Couldn't help but laugh. It did sound decent for what it was.

MarMar, Bruno1950 and DJ Bebop like this.
  19. Fodera’s Collapsable Bass

:)

20. bottomzone

bottomzone Gold Supporting Member

Oct 21, 2005
    I had a Ken Smith 5 a number of years ago that was my main bass and an Alembic Spoiler before that. Both were incredible but the Smith is the best bass that I have ever played to this day with a Peavey Cirrus 5 USA being the second best. For the money, especially used, a Cirrus is one of the best basses on the planet.

lowdownthump and Dave Neal like this.
  21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Dec 2, 2021