Talkbass Basses ...Can "boutique" basses be your daily driver ?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by mb94952, Nov 20, 2021.

1. Good thread, I enjoyed reading it.

Rick Penrose and armybass like this.
  2. Good point, if you buy your dream bass , don’t leave it unattended at a gig.
    I have 3 basses, a Fender Power Jazz Bass Special, Schecter California Jazz and a Carvin Lb 20, 2x2 headstock, this covers all my needs and I’m not scared to take them to any gig.
    If you buy , play it

3. pepj

pepj

Mar 25, 2021
    I've got a Pope matched with Nordstands singles coming.
    Expecting it to be completed and shipped any day now.
    I took the option of Pope and Nordstands as they are price built with them and are up there with the best rated.
    I've gone active because pre amps make amends to tonal variations on the build but I tend to not run the pre amp hard or too different from 'passive'
    I practice in 'passive' which saves the batteries so i don't need, or want, extreme tone shaping 99% of the time.

I tend to like more transparent pre's like Glocks...but look forward to hearing a Pope.
    IME, Sire and East pre's have too much unusable sweep for my tastes.
    Will see...

4. Snarf

Snarf

Jan 23, 2005
    Tri-state
    I'm looking for more pop-oriented live mixes. I'm very familiar with Tom Kennedy, and he's a great player, but I'm not a fan of his bass sound.

Geri O likes this.
  5. Geri O

Geri O Endorsing Artist, Mike Lull Guitars and Basses Gold Supporting Member

Sep 6, 2013
    Florence, MS
    (shhh…I think he’s awesome and gets a good tone, but it’s not the tone I would go for if I were able to play that style….)

Janik Gwizdala was getting a great sound with his Foderas, but he’s playing another make of bass these days.

TonyP- likes this.
  6. Snarf

Snarf

Jan 23, 2005
    Tri-state
    There's just this harsh quality that I think those electronics get on the D and G strings in particular, especially as you move to the middle and upper registers on the neck. It really started sticking out to me when I owned a bass with these electronics, this grating quality to the midrange and treble bands. That's what led me back to a jazz-style bass, and then ultimately back to the humble P bass. I wanted a "rounded fullness" that I couldn't get out of the hifi gear. And the P just has that perfect place in the mix, and hits the mains like a semi truck.

Geri O and Lackey like this.
  7. SemiDriven

SemiDriven Supporting Member

Sep 2, 2012
    Milwaukee, WI
    Yep. Like a semi with straight pipes. Thud time!

DJ Bebop likes this.
  8. Lackey

Lackey

May 10, 2002
    Los Angeles
    No doubt the P plays well with a band. I've really come around to the sound, with my BB300 the last two years. I also think the modern trend of pushing the pickups ever closer to the bridge can cause some of the harsh mid character you describe. It seems like Fodera is edging back towards 60s spacing which I think is good. For my just completed custom, I put a dual coil around MM location, and I'm very happy with the overall sound. Filling tone but can get punchy if needed. Plucking location and attack count for a lot.

mb94952 likes this.
  9. Point of possible interest...

I caught a YT of Scott's Bass Lessons the other day; "Why NOT to play a P Bass?"

Contention is that the P Bass is a one trick pony, that does that one trick very well. But, beyond that, it is extremely limited.

Of course, Scott does own and play a P style Bass - possibly two. But he doesn't gig with them. He favors other active Basses like an old Smith he has. Not that Scott is in any way my Bass Oracle. I like P Basses, too. But I think the point is well taken and the observation is reasonably valid. Clearly, the Jazz Bass was a step in the direction of remedy of that issue. I'm not sure if Victor Wooten or Anthony Jackson would agree regarding Fodera's specifically either.

(Fodera's artist list is likely not populated heavily with guys playing in Ramone's tribute bands or the house band at the honky-tonk. I accept this.)

Simplicity works for many, but complexity can drive some to it...!

BlueTalon, Lackey and mb94952 like this.
  10. Snarf

Snarf

Jan 23, 2005
    Tri-state
    Rebuttal: The P bass does only one thing if you keep your right hand in the same place all the time, leave the tone control at the same setting, and play with the same dynamic at all times. I find the P bass to be very versatile in terms of the frequencies I can get out of it. I play it in my events band, an 80's band, and . . . well, if I had any other projects going right now, I'd play it there, too.

The jazz bass introduced two new sounds: both pickups on, and bridge pickup solo'd. The neck pickup solo'd is very similar in tone to a split-P pickup, at least in my experience. A lot of the guys being mentioned in this thread LOVE the solo bridge sound of a jazz bass, but want a hotter output and active EQ. And their basses do exactly that.

11. P basses are versatile in application, which is the only type of versatility that matters. The only point of having lots of different sounds is to be able to fit in lots of different situations, which the P bass is able to do better than most with just its one sound.

mb94952, SemiDriven and lowdownthump like this.
  12. B1D46196-6044-4A25-B803-10B83FB90D7E.jpeg
    Fodera Classic Passive P Bass - Alder/Maple/BRW

You could spend similar money on a Pre-CBS Fender.

BlueTalon and Joshua like this.
  13. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Dec 2, 2021