talkbass bassist NEEDS YOUR HELP!

Discussion in 'Band Management [BG]' started by whyusofunky, Oct 28, 2005.

1. I hope that this is the right section to post this. Here's the situation. A couple of months ago my drummer, as a joke decided to enter us in a contest to perform as the opening band for HANSON. It may sound cheesy, but none the less we would be getting our foot in the door of a well respected venue in the metro Detroit area. So here is my pitch to you all:

We have the rare opportunity to open up for one of america's wonders of the world/musical extraordinares (I can hardly type this with a straight face), Hanson! We all Know that everyone loves Hanson especially the Ladies! We have been chosen as 1 of 3 final bands. We need your vote! Everyone help us out, follow the link and vote for Jam Samich. The Show is at the Royal Oak Theatre in downtown Royal Oak on November the 9th.

A band (friends of ours) from our neck of the woods also entered and was also picked. These guys have it made. They have a whole mgt. team that has been on message boards all over the web. Getting people to vote for them, so please as a talkbass member help us out.

2. MikeBass

MikeBass Supporting Member

Nov 4, 2003
    Ferndale MI.
    Artist: Xotic Basses/AccuGroove
    Just the idea that I even LOOKED at a Hanson web site means you owe me as well!!!
    But gotta support not only a TB'r, but another local boy as well!!
    Playing at Shorty's on Dixie tonight (Wateford) and Greens Tavern (Pontiac) on Baldwin tomorrow-YOU BETTER SHOW UP!!!! I went to a Hanson site for you!!! ;)

I feel dirty now............
  3. RLT

Jul 10, 2004
    South Central OH
    Hanson! EEEEEKKKKK! You know if you turn off the images it's not bad.
  4. Pruitt

Jun 30, 2005
    Danbury, CT
    I'll go and vote, but I refuse to look at any pictures. lol ;)

Edit: Damn, should have realized I'm at work and too far away from home to take a shower. I'll feel disgusting all day now. :rolleyes:

Good luck!
  5. You owe me too... I just voted. Funky Philo, right?

6. sotua

Sep 20, 2004
    US Northeast
    Hey, it isn't that bad. Those kids put on a respectable show, and their bass player kicked some major ass (what I could hear over the roaring teenagers).

I got to see them live by taking my sister to the concert (and, when her friend's mothers heard about "the adult willing to go to the Hanson concert", I wound up saddled with a bunch of 14-year-olds), and it was a decent show. Bass player was playing through an ampeg SVT-IV and some 8x10s, with a custom bass I couldn't really make out, maybe an old Tobias by the headstock shape. They played a cover of "Sunshine of your love" that was really good, and it was funny to see all this bunch of little girls with puzzled looks while all the fathers/brothers/guardians went from "huh? ***?" to "Dude! Hell yeah!".

Word of advice - carry earplugs. I've seen Metallica, Morbid Angel, Sepultura, Guns N Roses, and countless local metal bands, and the worst concerts, hearing damage-wise, are the "girly" ones - Hanson wasn't that bad because here in Chile there weren't all that many Hanson fans (about 3k in attendance?). But the worst concert I've ever gone to (ringing ears for more than a day) was a Miguel Bosé concert (pop-singing spaniard that makes the ladies swoon :)). Eat your heart out, Cannibal Corpse. It has to do with the high-frequency onslaught caused by thousands upon thousands of squealing chicks. :rolleyes:
  7. I too voted. Time for some nice black metal.
  8. Please note, I don't know how we were picked were typically labeled as a prog/rock, jam band, funk band, but hell if this gets us through the door at the Royal Oak Music theater, than so be it. Thanks to everyone who is helping out. Remember if I get a HANSON connection, I can give you a HANSON connection. How great would it be to have 1,000 14-18 year old girls screaming just for you lol!
  9. Dan1099

Dan1099 Dumbing My Process Down

Aug 7, 2004
    Those chicks are pretty hot. ;)
  10. Oh, alright. It's for a fellow TBer. But... ick. And I had to give out an email address (good thing I have one just for spam).
  11. Oh, Thnikkaman. It's the Thnikkaman.

BTW, I voted for you again. gMail has good spam filters...
    You owe me big time ;) . Maybe a new Ken Smith could find its way to my house...? ;)
  12. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    OK, you owe me as well. Can I get a Hanson pick or something???? :D

13. Joe P

Joe P

Jul 15, 2004
    Milwaukee, WI
    Heeeyy! What's DIS about?!

I just clicked your link, and the ballot came up PRE-SELECTED for 'Philo'.. What's wit DAT??

I'd be pissed.

Anyway -- OK, there ya go...

14. I don't know what thats all about, but it sucks because I accidently voted for Philo with one of my many email addresses . Their try to rip us off, but if we make it in, I'll make sure to ask the HANSON boys what was up.
  15. Joe P

Joe P

Jul 15, 2004
    Milwaukee, WI
    So I listened to all the Hansen online clips, and now am so-far halfway through Big Mama on your MySpace page.

I'm diggin' it, for sure! I gotta learn to walk the bass like that. ..Just like that; nice!

...Didn't care for Hansen much.

16. YO Joe, thanks a lot Joe for the compliments. I am very proud of that one myself.
  17. zerodown

Sep 13, 2005
    Hope everything works out for you. The opportunity to play an awesome venue for tons of people would be for me to solicit for votes. Good luck and I hope you win.

18. ladros2

Jun 2, 2005
    Hanson have one of my email addresses. I feel dirty.