Talkbass "Conversation" Scam?

Discussion in 'Forum Usage Help' started by dpollak, Nov 9, 2019.

1. I just received an email notification that a Talkbass member had started a "conversation" with me, which seemed odd because it has been a long time since I posted anything. It looked like an official Talkbass email notification, but the URL in the link seems suspect (it contains a string that doesn't appear in any other Talkbass URL I've looked at). When I log into my account, there is no such invitation apparent in my Messages section. I'm thinking this is probably a scam or phishing attempt. Has anyone else had this experience? I'm wondering also if it is a scam, has Talkbass posted any warning about such scams?

Mr_Moo likes this.
  2. fdeck

fdeck Supporting Member Commercial User

Mar 20, 2004
    Madison WI
    HPF Technology LLC
    It does seem like phishing. Thanks for the heads up. If you don't have a message in TalkBass, then you don't have a message. (Exception may be if someone's on your ignore list).

I never click on a link in any e-mail. If I want to visit a site, I enter the correct address of the site directly into my browser by hand.

Mr_Moo and buldog5151bass like this.
  3. Bob Clayton

Bob Clayton My P doesn’t have flats or tort Staff Member Supporting Member

Aug 14, 2001
    Philly Suburbs
    Sounds like phishing. @paul

Chris Fitzgerald likes this.
  4. paul

paul Staff Member Founder Administrator

Jul 20, 2000
    Texas
    It sounds like the offending user was "spam cleaned" in the time between your initial email notification and when you logged in to view your PM's. Can you please forward the offending email to me at [email protected]?

5. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Nov 30, 2021