Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

TalkBass Country Groupings?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by CanadaBass, Mar 14, 2005.

1. Hi, :)

This is a question to one of the Moderators. I was thinking today that it would be a good idea to have some sort of feature within TalkBass that grouped members according to the country listed in their profile. For example, since I'm from Ontario, Canada...I could easily see which members are from around this area. Then if I was interested in buying/selling something or meeting some other local TBers...by having the ability to filter members through location , it would make things easier. This would be particulary helpful for countries other than the USA (since USA TB'ers are the majority). Otherwise finding members from a particular country/region is kind of hit and miss...you just wait until you see a post from someone who is from your area. This grouping could be made general to very specific. What do you guys think? :eyebrow:

2. I'm not a moderator - but I like the idea - plus it would show just how far reaching this bass place really is...:)

3. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

This has come up many times before and it's been dismissed as impractical!

The problem is that you can't stop people putting stupid things like :

"Behind You!" (Hilarious!! :rollno: )
    "Fairyland" etc. etc.

So this makes it meaningless...:(

4. Thanks for the reply guys! :)

Bruce, how about if the filter was made so that...

- a person would choose from one of those lists that you see that includes all of the countries in the world. It's one where you click on it and it's a 'scrollable' index list. I don't know quite how to describe it, but I've seen them on websites where you click on the button and you have to choose the country from a list, and if you choose one (that's already in the list...hence NO 'Behind You', etc.). You often see these at registration sites. If you're not sure what I mean, I can find the exact name for you. With a filter like this, Country names like 'Fairyland' and 'Behind You' are not part of the dropped index list...and therefore would not come up in a search result for countries. This list would only contain REAL countries. Could this work? :confused:

5. Bruce Lindfield

This was suggested to Paul - site owner - before, several times - I even suggested it myself !! But it hasn't happened. :meh:

Anyway - if you want to ask him - go to Paul's Shack and the "Suggestion Box" ...he'll come back and explain..bear in mind he's very busy though. :)

There are a few issues - so you can search by location - but as I mentioned - people don't fill this in or often put "rubbish"...:meh:

I think it has been mentioned before that a lot of people are very wary about filling out a location profile and it might put people off - decrease numbers.

So - I think general advice is not to give location from a security point of view, as this, added to other info like real names can make it possible to identify you leading to : Spam, Cyber Stalking or worse - such as "internet grooming" ny Paedophiles at the extreme. :meh:

6. i really love this idea and have thought about it myself as well, it would be soo useful but hard to get everyone to participate

7. Bruce Lindfield

I see this as a perfectly innocent and reasonable statement - but from previous discussions here and on other forums - there are problems with this!

So - one of the big new crimes that was makinng headlines in Britain a year or so ago was "Internet Grooming" by paedophiles - so they would go into chat rooms with young people, pose as another young person with similar interests and suggest a get-together ....:meh:

Similarly, many women I know, who use the internet, are very wary about giving any clue to their location, for fear of being "stalked" by somebody they met on a forum like this...:meh:

So - hey I'm big enough and ugly enough to look after myelf and have met many TBers in real life, but I can appreciate why more vulnerable members of our community might not want to give any clue to their location....:(

8. then make an N/A option for the people who do not wish to participate

9. Thanks a lot for your time and explanation Bruce! :cool:

10. wulf

wulf

Apr 11, 2002
    Oxford, UK
    Take a look at the memberlist, which is linked to from the top of the page. If you take the advanced search option there, you can specify location and get a listing of members who've filled entries that match.

Obviously, it does depend on someone putting suitable location details in but that's all part of the choice of how easily someone wants to be found. If it was based on dropdown lists, I'm sure a lot of people would feel missed out. Living in "London, UK", I'd probably be represented but would "Waterloo, Canada" show up without a huge database of places in the background? (ps. looks like your town is similar in size to London, Ontario.... a little bit smaller than my London town!)

To improve the search, you can specify the minimum number of postings - for example, "at least 10" filters out a lot of accounts of people who've logged in for a few days and never come back.

In other words, most of the functionality you're after is already there. It may not be served up on a plate but it's pretty easy to dig out once you know what you're looking for.

Wulf

11. Bruce Lindfield

Well - it's no good telling me - you need to ask this in Paul's Shack - Paul is the only one who can do this kind of thing!

We can talk about it as much as we like, but it won't achieve anything here...:meh:

12. agreed, maybe we can get a mod to move this to paul's shack, or i guess we could just make a new thread.