TalkBASS > Facebook

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by whitelines, Mar 22, 2018.

1. whitelines

whitelines

Oct 26, 2014
    Salt Lake City
    IMHO,
    TalkBASS is better than Facebook (for me).
    I'm not happy after I read Facebook. I usually am after I read TalkBASS.
    Thanks to all of you that post interesting and thoughtful bass topics (and to moderators that do their best to keep this corner of the internet civil and friendly).
    YMMV, no offense intended to FB fans out there.
    bass!

2. viribus

viribus Gold Supporting Member

Jan 1, 2011
    Pacific Northwest
    I never actually learned to play very well
    FecesBook (tm @Killed_by_Death) was dead to me before the current brouhaha.

3. Killed_by_Death

Killed_by_Death Snaggletooth Inactive

I'm cutting back on my social media presence in general, but FB is basically status quo for me. It's pretty cool for finding people close to you.
    Just last week I was out & about & got a notice that one of my old classmates was nearby, so we messaged & met up for lunch.

the harp unstrung likes this.
  4. Slorra440

Slorra440

Nov 20, 2015
    Cincinnati
    I feel the same way.
    Some wise man around here once called it BassBook... I can't remember who, but that really has stuck with me. I now affectionately refer to talkbass as bassbook.

Alik, the harp unstrung and frEQ like this.
  5. MrLenny1

MrLenny1

Jan 17, 2009
    New England
    Yes, TB is cooler than FB.
    I monitor FB because a lot of my gigs come thru FB as the guys I work with
    use it more than texting,E-mail and oh that old method, the telephone.

6. 40Hz

40Hz Supporting Member

May 24, 2006
    home
    I'm an IT guy. You could not get me to join FB if you paid me.

7. whitelines

whitelines

Oct 26, 2014
    Salt Lake City
    yeah, I get that. I reactivated my account a year or so ago to be able to network with musicians, as it is the go-to to find somebody who you know their name. So I'll keep my account there as a place holder and a way to find me, but when somebody does contact me there, I tend to transition it to text etc quickly.

8. wolfkeller

wolfkeller Supporting Member

Aug 11, 2013
    detroit
    Why?

9. 40Hz

40Hz Supporting Member

May 24, 2006
    home
    Being in IT I’m very aware of the risks associated with using a platform such as FB. That would be risk enough by itself. But it’s further exacerbated by the attitudes and track record of the people running it. Much could be done to fix it. But FB has chosen not to do so, and has made it abundantly clear they will not do anything about it until they’re forced to. And if their past performance is anything to go by, they will stonewall and attempt to merely give lip service whenever they think they can get away with it.

I could go on. But suffice to say FB is run by individuals who have repeatedly shown themselves to be less than forthright, blatantly irresponsible, and completely amoral.

I wouldn’t want to share a joke with these guys let alone my private information.

the harp unstrung, dxb, PWRL and 2 others like this.
  10. gln1955

gln1955 Supporting Member

Aug 25, 2014
    Ohio, USA
    I'm on FB for two reasons only.

1. To keep more involved in my grown and moved away kids' lives.

2. The band needs a FB presence and I'm the designated guy to do it.

Jborg likes this.
  11. viribus

Jan 1, 2011
    Pacific Northwest
    I worked in IT (briefly) for a company that made FB games. There’s a Z in the name. So they almost literally paid me to do FB. They were baffled when I told them I don’t and won’t do FB.

That gig lasted about 9 months.

40Hz likes this.
  12. shawshank72

shawshank72

Mar 22, 2009
    Canada
    I deleted my Facebook and messenger account awhile back and have been so happy I did.
    But I still love my TB.

Alik, the harp unstrung and OldDog52 like this.
  13. Member8675309

Member8675309 Inactive

Aug 19, 2017
    Nashville, TN
    I quit Facebook back in 2013 after 8 years of it. I’ll admit, FB was cool when you had to have an edu address in order to join, but when my siblings, parents, and everybody and their dog got on there.....the fun was over. In general, I believe social media has single handedly destroyed human interaction.

the harp unstrung and MattZilla like this.
  14. viribus

Jan 1, 2011
    Pacific Northwest
    When users can hide behind a screen name (like on TB), they’re very likely to go off the rails unless there’s heavy moderation.

When users have to post under their real name, they’re much more likely to self-moderate.

TB combines anonymity with moderation.

15. project_c

project_c

May 8, 2008
    London, UK
    Finally an intelligent and informed view on Facebook. Facebook is a cesspool. Aside from the endless data hoarding, it's also a breeding ground for troll farms, and the manipulation and exploitation of millions of gullible people. The people behind Facebook don't care, and they're causing irreparable damage across the planet. I think (hope) its' days are numbered.

the harp unstrung, PWRL and OldDog52 like this.
  16. I deleted mine. I'd deactivated it a few times in the past, once recently. Then yesterday, I just scheduled it for deletion, which takes two weeks. They want you to hem and haw and then come back, but it ain't happenin'. It's so nasty, people just ranting at each other worse than YouTube comments, anymore. I already knew they sell your personal info. Everybody knew they were vacuuming our info years ago. Every app on my phone sells my personal info (although I have very few). Now, I don't like that, but it doesn't really bother me as much as the way people treat each other, and that it seems engineered to cause anger. Therefore, I see no good in it. In fact, I don't even watch the news, anymore. It feels like the same thing, to me. But Facebook to me made me feel as if I was a rat in an evil science experiment.

I agree that Talkbass is vastly superior to Facebook.

17. viribus

Jan 1, 2011
    Pacific Northwest
    I’m not oblivious to the reality that apps and sites track my habits. FB is just so blatant though. At least I can feel a little smug knowing I haven’t intentionally given FB anything to work with. If someone wants to find me, there are other ways.

18. mongo2

mongo2

Feb 17, 2008
    Da Shaw
    Ummm...What's Facebook?

the harp unstrung and OldDog52 like this.
  19. DunderThunder

DunderThunder

Mar 22, 2018
    I deleted my Facebook a couple years ago. I realized that I only ever used it to message a couple of people, and I had other ways to do that, so I just ditched it. I've always liked forums more than social media; like someone else said, forums have a good balance of anonymity and moderation (most of the time anyway), so you get better discussions than you would in a site with your name on it, without worrying about people going too over the line.

frEQ likes this.
  20. I agree, though I regularly lurk both far too regularly. I feel I've screwed up a bit with regards to how to go forward with my identity online, and need some time to think about "damage control". That makes it sound like I've done something bad and it's coming out, but it couldn't be further from the truth - I'm honestly just hitting a point where I should probably have a different profile for friends and family, or maybe even just sanitize my current profile and use it for family only e.g. barely at all. Seeing my younger cousin "like" a local strip club and then getting an invite from his mother kinda sparked the idea.

the harp unstrung likes this.