Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Talkbass folk, help me out with this one please......

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Bad Brains, Dec 13, 2005.

1. Bad Brains

Bad Brains Banned

Jan 7, 2004
    Detroit, michigan
    Well as you know I have doing a lot of photography latly. Over Christmas break i'm putting together a crew to go inside the old Packard Motors factory to shoot. My friend will also be shooting video and editing it (documentary style) for his professional portfilio.

I have avoided telling my bosses or parents, even though I am 23, this isn't something that's necessarily "safe", so I don't want to announce it until after I do it. Last time I was exploring the outside of the factory I noticed many ways to get inside (walked in for a bit myself, but didn't explore).

Now ignorinig the fact that it's in a bad neighborhood and the place is old and falliing apart, espestos, ect. What else should I worry about? This particular place has no "No Trespassing" signs posted anywhere, and I have contacted people who have gone in exploring before, said it's a rather popular place, there are always people inside exploring.

If by chance we are discovered by law enforcement, what would you think their actions would be, seeing is how we are shooting film and photography and not really doing anything harmful? I'm only asking this because i'm asking people to come with me as a favor, I don't want to get them in any trouble. I don't care about me personally.

Anyways if you could help me out, I would appreciate

2. cheezewiz

cheezewiz

Mar 27, 2002
    Ohio
    I'm guessing they'll throw flash bangs at you, and then when you're down, beat you with maglites.

3. thestevo

thestevo

Aug 12, 2004
    NJ
    This belongs in Off Topic...

4. Bad Brains

Bad Brains Banned

Jan 7, 2004
    Detroit, michigan
    oops, wrong forum. My bad, someone please move this. :crying:

5. klocwerk

klocwerk

May 19, 2005
    Somerville, MA
    You're breaking the law and trespassing.
    I'd be surprised if they did more than yell at you and throw you out, but legally they could press charges. You'd better be ready for the worst if you plan to go in, and warn your friends.

I'd suggest contacting the management, they may let you in with hardhats if you tell them it's for a class project or something. Can't hurt to ask, at worst they say no.

6. Dan1099

Dan1099 Dumbing My Process Down

Aug 7, 2004
    Michigan
    That building is condemned. They're not going to allow anyone in.

Just be ready to deal with the consequences. You might get arrested. If you're prepared to deal with that, then you're alright. Also, be careful, that place has been sitting uncared after for a long long time. Watch your step, and keep an eye out.

7. burk48237

burk48237 Supporting Member

Nov 22, 2004
    Oak Park, MI
    After they've sprayed the area with AR 15's and 9-mm fire!
    :D

8. burk48237

burk48237 Supporting Member

Nov 22, 2004
    Oak Park, MI
    It's Detroit, it takes the police about an hour to respond to a home burglary call! And they don't even investigate a shooting unless it results in death. If your in and out quick you have nothing to worry about. But I doubt very much they would let you in "legally". You might check with your photography teacher, a lot of pros shoot down at the old train station for instance, he may know someone who can get you "in" legally.

9. Bad Brains

Bad Brains Banned

Jan 7, 2004
    Detroit, michigan
    Are you sure it would be considered trespassing? There are no signs posted, so technically it might not count. How would we know we can't go in there (other then common sense, and lets face it, common sense is the most uncommon of senses)?

10. Akito

Akito

Dec 1, 2003
    Spokane
    Imagine someone trying to say this to your average police officer who has just rousted them out of an abandoned building.... ok, got a mental picture? Enough said.

11. Bad Brains

Bad Brains Banned

Jan 7, 2004
    Detroit, michigan
    I get it, but i'm just saying I don't think they would bother with a group of suburban kids shooting video and photography of an abandoned factory. Arresting a group of us, booking us, halling us in, not to mention finding us inside (the place is absoultly HUGE). It just wouldn't seem worth it, considering Detroit has far worse problems to worry about then a bunch of stupid kids shooting photography.

Then again I could be wrong.

12. cheezewiz

cheezewiz

Mar 27, 2002
    Ohio
    Do what you want, but it is trespassing regardless of any signage, and regardless if the police do anything or not.

13. mark beem

mark beem Gold Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2001
    New Hope, Alabama
    When you have to rationalize something -that- much; watch out!!!

I'll keep an eye out on Yahoo for you..

;)

14. malthumb

malthumb

Mar 25, 2001
    The Motor City
    Keep in mind a major film production company was thrown out of the Central Train Depot when it became apparent that the film they were shooting was planned to be used as uncomplimentary footage in a motion picture. I think that eventually both sides came to an agreement and the film (I think it was "The Island") did get to use some Detroit footage, but not some of the shots they wanted of the old train depot.

One of the problems that Detroit has been dealing with for years has been a rash of law suits. If there's any chance that the city could be sued due to the police not responding to your activities on a condemned property and someone getting hurt, they'd more than likely err on the side of arresting you guys and documenting that you'd been warned to stay out.

I'd recommend contacting a historical society and letting them know what your interests are and getting in there legitimately. If I were you, I'd also consider that it is winter and that any number of homeless people could be using parts of these buildings as hovels to protect themselves from the elements. They may or may not appreciate your presence. Your cameras would make interesting bargaining chips. Just food for thought.

Peace,

James

15. Indiana Mike

Indiana Mike

Nov 18, 2005
    My father, who was a cop and detective for 40 years told me once , "as long as you deny it there is always doubt that you are actually guilty"
    Take your chances and play stupid if caught. I would worry more about meth lab junkies and other freaks ( not homeless people) who may decide to prey on you. Watch your step.

16. TrooperFarva

TrooperFarva

Nov 25, 2004
    New City, NY
    As a kid whose been all sorts of places he wasn't supposed to be with his friends, I'll say this. It's pretty unlikely that the cops will find you. Many cops don't care about small stuff like this, and won't even bother to look to begin with. If the police do find you, I'll tell you this. Cops are lazy. Real lazy. If they arrest you, they have to go through heaps of paperwork, that in the end amounts to nothing. Pretty much because of this, they're not going to arrest you. They'll harass you, and go on a power trip, because you're young, but they're not gonna arrest you. I don't mind cops, after my numerous encounters with them. Some are cool, and just smile with this look of "you know damn well you're not supposed to be here" and you move on, and all is well, but some will lecture you for no better reason than to feel better about themselves. Whatever you do, play it cool. I've had cops illegally search my car, get in my face, threaten me ("I'll club you in the face with my nightstick"), but I always played it cool, and I never got so much as a phone call, let alone an arrest.

17. cheezewiz

cheezewiz

Mar 27, 2002
    Ohio

You're a real bundle of knowledge, aint ya Trooper? ;). I love it when kiddies tell me how I'm going to do my job. The joyous thing about it, is they are usually wrong.

18. Bad Brains

Bad Brains Banned

Jan 7, 2004
    Detroit, michigan
    Thanks for the advice guys. (I really wish someone would move this to off topic, I wasn't paying attention when I posting this thread).

I'm well aware of the homeless population that most likly exists in the bulding. That's why i'm having a group of people come with me. Our plan is to go early in the mourning, to at least try and avoid the murderers who would likly prey on us.

For those not from the Detroit area, the Packard Motors plant is absoultly huge. I had to see it in person myself to believe it. It's not like modern plants with property, it's right smack in the middle of a neighborhood. You can pretty much walk right into it from the street.

Some of the photographers I contacted go exploring in there all the time, said you are more lilky to run into other people exploring the buliding then running into anyone who would cause harm. Lets hope my obsession with large abandoned buildings don't get me in serious trouble.

19. malthumb

malthumb

Mar 25, 2001
    The Motor City
    If you truly know this to be the case, then it might be more hopeful than I believe it to be. Knowing the neighborhood, I fully expect that the building is occupied by homeless during the winter. As I'm sure you are aware, a lot of the people that are homeless in Detroit are people who've been displaced from mental health facilities when the state shut down a lot of them during the previous governor's administration. Some of them are no doubt dangerous. I'd hate to read about ya, kid.

But if other photographers have done it and you're going in there with an army, you'll stand a better chance. I'd still like to see you wait 'til the weather breaks, but it's your situation to experience, so go with your heart.

Peace,

James

20. Bad Brains

Bad Brains Banned

Jan 7, 2004
    Detroit, michigan
    Thanks for the kind words.

I have always been told that exploring these parts of the city in the winter is more safe then in the summer, when more people are out on the streets roaming. When I was there a couple weeks ago I didn't run into a single person. My guess that it's probably the same situation all year long. Best thing to do I suppose is travel in a group and don't do or say anything stupid. We will be fine, no worries. If I start getting that bad carma feeling about it later on then I won't hesitate to back down.