Talkbass gear giveaway advertisement

Discussion in 'Suggestion Box' started by The Bassmaniac, Aug 31, 2004.

1. I hate to complain, but the position of that long tall talkbass gear giveaway advertisement on the home page is annoying the tripe out of me.

It's bad enough that I can't even go in the draw to win it, not being a resident of the USA; but as I tend to consult the start page frequently to refresh the latest threads, I'm getting a groove in my finger from constantly have to scroll down the page to get rid of this ad and view the threads.

Can you put a button on the ad so that those who don't want to look at it for the above reasons can leave the ad minimised?

2. No answer? mmmmmmmm? :eyebrow:

Oh well, it doesn't seem to bother anyone else, so I'll just have to put up with it for another six weeks till the winner is drawn.

As long as it isn't replaced with another ad when this one expires, I'll survive.

3. [grumble grumble] 34 days to go [grumble grumble]

Maybe Paul should nominate or someone should volunteer to moderate Paul's Suggestion Box as there seems to be queries in here that never get the benefit of an answer. :meh:

4. Marlat

Sep 17, 2002
    London UK
    Paul is a busy guy and IIRC a pro-player as well, give the guy a break TB isnt his full time job and you only asked your question 10 days ago.

FWIW its the "ads" from sponsors that help pay the bills along with Supporting Members - if it wasnt for these ads / sponsorship you may not be able to use the fast and well run site for gratis.
  5. Thanks for the "reply".
    I wasn't asking to get rid of the ad, only if it can be minimised by people who aren't eligible to enter the contest anyway, because they don't happen to live in the US.

To have to go to the trouble of removing this ad every time I want to preview of the latest threads section of the home page gives me the impression I am being "spammed" by an advertiser.

A simple "yes or no" answer without innuendos would have been sufficient to keep this "sponge" happy.

Anyway thanks for your reply. :meh:
  6. Marlat

Sep 17, 2002
    London UK
    Think practically, if everyone could minmise the ad (how could you diffrentiate between US users and foreigners from the homepage), why would they look at the ad? If no one would look at the ad, why would the advertiser pay to have the ad / donate the bass to go on the site?

Perhaps you should invest in a firewall / security software that lets you block ads. That would be a fairly simple solution to having to remove the ad everytime you come onto this site. IMO this site has very little advertising for a site that you can use for free.

That wasnt apparent from the tone of your posts which included [grumble grumble] ... :meh:

Don't mention it. :)
  7. It's taken a while but I now feel my initial query has been answered by your reply.
    I guess the real reason I find the ad so irritating is because it occupies a place that used to belong to the latest threads preview feature. If the ad had been there all along, I probably wouldn't be bothered by it, but as it stands I feel that a feature of the homepage has been surplanted by an ad.

Thanks for the tip. That's a possible solution.

A simple "yes or no" answer without innuendos would have been sufficient to keep this "sponge" happy.

The grumbling was for the lack of replies to mine and several other posts on this forum, and I did offer the positive suggestion of appointing a moderator as members queries and suggestions seem to take a long long time to get a response. Actually I was going to nominate you for the job as you seem to be suitably equipped. :D