1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

TalkBass Get Together in SF Bay Area

Discussion in 'Social Events and Get Togethers [BG]' started by ChrisCassisi, Jul 17, 2012.

1. ChrisCassisi

ChrisCassisi

Mar 24, 2011
    San Jose, CA
    I keep hearing about how certain areas have had TB GTG and would love to see who would be up to having one here in the SF Bay Area. By the sound and looks of them they seem like a blast.

How would I go about it? Would love to meet more of my TB brothers and sisters around here and have all of us geek out for a few hours.

Any info, advice, etc would be much appreciated on how to get one organized. And if you want to help that would be awesome too.

LETS DO THIS AND HAVE SOME FUN!!!!

2. I've only just started, so hopefully it'd be planned far enough in advance for me to develop a modicum of skill, lol.

3. nukes_da_bass

nukes_da_bass Banned

Feb 19, 2006
    west suburban boston
    Let's do it. But could we make it Boston instead?

4. ChrisCassisi

ChrisCassisi

Mar 24, 2011
    San Jose, CA

Doesn't matter if you are new to it or seasoned all lovers of the low end in the area are encouraged to come out. I know with over 10 years under my belt I still have a lot to learn skill wise. Who knows we might get some guys out that can give us some great pointers and help us fine tune our skills.

Been talking with a few places around so this will more than likely happen just a matter of when and where.

5. ChrisCassisi

ChrisCassisi

Mar 24, 2011
    San Jose, CA

Sorry but that is a little to far lol How about you come to us instead?

6. StuartV

StuartV Finally figuring out what I really like Supporting Member

Jul 27, 2006
    Manassas, VA
    We had one over here in Rancho Cordova (just outside Sac) back in May. It was a lot of fun.

We had it at a local shop, Basses and Beyond. Juan Ortiz (the owner and a TB'er) was awesome host us.

So, that's my suggestion: Find a cool local shop that will be okay with a bunch of Bass Nerds descending and taking over the place for an afternoon. Make sure what is okay with the shop owner as far as:

- people bringing their axes
    - people bringing their rigs
    - people who might want to sell axes or rigs while they're there
    - can you bring snacks/drinks?
    - can you have beer or other alcohol?

At our GTG over here, we had all of the above except no alcohol. Everybody brought basses. A number of people brought rigs to show off. We had a table setup with snacks and a cooler of sodas.

We did it from roughly 3 in the afternoon to 5 or something like that.

7. Rev J

Rev J

Jun 14, 2012
    Berkeley, Ca.
    I might show up to something like this (I live in Berkeley but live in SF).

Stay Brown,
    Rev J

8. GregC

GregC Johnny and Joe Gold Supporting Member

Jan 19, 2007
    Chicago
    Don't sweat it. I've been to a bunch of TB GTGs, big and small, in bass builders'shops (Lakland), a bar/restaurant in New York(the International GTG at the Plattedeutsche), studios in Madison, WI and Chicago, and churches in the 'burbs of Chicago. I'm a hack, but never have I seen any judging from others go on. TB GTGs rock. You'll find a lot of cool, friendly, supportive fellow players who are happy to share their gear, playing tips and enthusiasm.

My advice: Go to any GTG you can, it's always a good time.:cool:

9. ChrisCassisi

ChrisCassisi

Mar 24, 2011
    San Jose, CA
    Thanks for the input everyone. I am really excited and hope to put a get together on soon. Already have a bunch of bass playing buddies excited with the possibility for one. Know of a few shops around here who would be cool with letting us low end fantics get together there.

10. smperry

smperry Administrator Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

Nov 3, 2003
    Bay Area, CA
    Moved

11. Abacobob

Abacobob

Nov 21, 2006
    San Jose, CA
    Great idea! I'd like to participate if my schedule permits. I'm in the San Jose area. I had a blast at a TB gathering a few years ago. It was held at a studio in Oakland and was well attended. I'm subbed to the thread.

12. Wow. I will be in Emeryville on business. All work will be over around 2-3 pm. Too soon for this meeting, right ?
    Do u have any nice bass shop or guitar shop w. lots bass stock ?

13. ChrisCassisi

ChrisCassisi

Mar 24, 2011
    San Jose, CA
    I am going to talk to the guys at Gelb Music in Redwood City in the next few days. They have an amazing selection of basses. Super cool guys too. I love going in there and drooling over all the amazing basses. They are always super nice and don't mind me in there playing. Its where I go whenever I need some gear or just want to waste a few hours lol

14. ChrisCassisi

ChrisCassisi

Mar 24, 2011
    San Jose, CA

Thanks for getting this in the right section. Next time I need to think and look before I start posting in the wrong section due to excitement lol

15. ChrisCassisi

ChrisCassisi

Mar 24, 2011
    San Jose, CA
    Have not talked to the owner of Gelb Music yet to see if they would possibly be interested in hosting. Any suggestions as to where would be a good spot?

Maybe Guitar Showcase? I will go in and talk to the owner to see if that may be an option too.

16. btbraden

btbraden

Sep 9, 2005
    Oroville, CA
    i'd like to try and make it missed the one at bass and beyond cause I didn't know about it, sf is always a nice trip to make with the family

17. Wally Malone

Wally Malone

Mar 9, 2001
    Boulder Creek, CA
    AFM International Representative Endorsing Artist: Accugroove Cabinets & MJC Ironworks Strings
    I have been thinking about organizing an event in Boulder Creek but haven't had the time to work on it. Another bass player owns the building where the old Boulder Creek post office was. Along with plenty of performance space he also has a studio there. Although I've always enjoyed my visits to Gelb I think the players would bring plenty of equipment that could be played. I know about a half dozen bass players that live in the San Lorenzo Valley that would attend. With my lack of time to pull this off by myself maybe a couple of us could work on this?

Wally

18. chuck norriss

chuck norriss Banned

Jan 20, 2011
    My chick & I will be at smugglers cove in the city tonight if anyone cares to wet their whistle. Possibly catch a jazz gig afterward. Need to look

19. ChrisCassisi

ChrisCassisi

Mar 24, 2011
    San Jose, CA
    Great idea. Let's run with this and see if this could be a better option. Get me the info and I can give you a hand putting this together. I can bring a few half stacks with me and pa equipment too.

20. Wally Malone

Wally Malone

Mar 9, 2001
    Boulder Creek, CA
    AFM International Representative Endorsing Artist: Accugroove Cabinets & MJC Ironworks Strings
    I have to run some errands in Boulder Creek today and I'll stop by and see if Barry is in. He and I had started a conversation about this a while back.

Wally