Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Talkbass, has it helped you?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by RicPlaya, Aug 27, 2003.

1. I already know 99% of whats covered here

5 vote(s)
    3.3%
  2. picked up a couple of tips

35 vote(s)
    23.2%
  3. there was a lot I didn't know

82 vote(s)
    54.3%
  4. I didn't know squat untill I found talkbass

29 vote(s)
    19.2%
  1. RicPlaya

RicPlaya

Apr 22, 2003
    Whitmoretucky MI
    Man I am so glad I found Talkbass. It has helped me out tremendously. For the most part everyone has been so supportive and helpful answering all my stupid questions. Being a new bass player just starting within the last year I had so many questions and I would not be were I am at today if it wasn't for Talkbass. Gear, technique, you name it it has been covered. Just curious to how others feel and how much talkbass has helped everyone else.

2. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    IT depends. THere was a lot i didnt know about some stuff, but yet i am well knowledgable about other things. I have been browsing around this forum for a while, and just started posting rrecently.

3. Killdar

Killdar

Dec 16, 2002
    Portland Maine
    the last option pretty much sums it up.

if I'd never found TB, I'd know about as little as I did the day I picked up a bass....or something. I'd at least be very behind.

4. Hell YES~

5. Dave Castelo

Dave Castelo

Apr 19, 2000
    Mexico
    Talkbass changed my (bass) life!

It's amazing how much knowledge you can get from here, I picked up bass and went into obscurity for a year and then found this site...

Then i started to just absorb as many things i could, from set up to technique, from new bassists to all the great brands of basses.

nowadays im not as participative on said forums but i give it a read just to avoid getting rusty :p

I still think of bass playing as a hobby (even though my former bass teacher tells me to drop med school and dedicate myself to it full time! :D)

anyways, i can say i wouldn`t be the same without talkbass

6. Blackbird

Blackbird Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000
    California
    Glad to hear it.

We'll teach you how to use the question mark one of these days. :p

Fixed it for you.:)

7. darkjoker667

darkjoker667

Apr 21, 2003
    I've learned some stuff.

8. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

I've learned loads from TB - the benefits have been incalculable!!

I just wish I had had this when I was 18 or 19 and I would be a much better player now - instead of which I messed about with effects, wasted my time, didn't get a teacher, didn't practice properly with a metronome or learn to read standard notation for bass....etc. etc. :(

9. FretNoMore

FretNoMore * Cooking with GAS *

Jan 25, 2002
    The frozen north
    I see TB as one of many ways (one of the better) to get reviews of gear, tips on good music, and a push to get into more theory. It's also a fun way to practice the English language. But as Bruce said, I wish I had found it much sooner, by now I'm an old lazy dog having problems learning new ways to sit. :)

10. I picked THERE IS A LOT I DIDNT KNOW

TB has mainly help me learn more about equipment and such rather than music and the theory behind it but it is all good knowledge

11. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

You're obviously doing very well on the english language - I couldn't have put that last part any better myself!! ;)

12. I've learned about tons of stuff that I havent even put in practice yet, but think i'll do some day. Not only have I found many questions answered and problems solved, but a lot of new ideas and views about techniques, gear, building, have awaken in my mind..

Talkbass is GREAT!:)

13. CS

CS

Dec 11, 1999
    UK
    I took the meglomaniac option. Ive been playing bass in various (amateur) bands since 1981.

What Talkbass did for me is provide a place where I could talk to like minded people and learn from different perspectives. It also gave me the idea that perhaps I could make a go of being semi-pro if not pro.

Talkbass provided me a teacher (Steve Lawson) who basically showed me how to link all the disparate parts of being a bassist, guitarist, singer, songwriter, engineer, home recordist and join them together to be a musician.

Through Talkbass I got to listen to and meet Michael Manring.

Ive met and like Paul A, Wulf, MKS, Matthew Foote, Si Bob, Howard K, Bruce Lindfield, Tsal, Mock Turtle Regulator, Blackbird, Jazzbo, Bob Lee QSC, Jared Morante and anyone I forgot.

I've been staying away recently, but I'm back, I'm here to stay and you can like it or lump it.

14. I selected the third option down. I had done a bit of previous research on basses, but it was ultimately Talkbass that helped me choose my first bass, first amp and also helped me to learn scales and the like. It is just a great place, to see thousands of people who all love the same thing - BASS!
    Also, as a side note, it has helped me to be more respectful to people's opinions and feelings. There's so many different musical styles that not everyone can like just one type...which makes it interesting, because I think it'd be pretty boring if everyone here was just into jazz or metal for instance.

*ends Talkbass worship* :D

15. Johnny BoomBoom

Johnny BoomBoom Supporting Member

Jun 8, 2001
    Glasgow, Scotland
    I have learned a lot from TalkBass! ANd I'm grateful for it. I'm also aware that as a bassist/musician I still have a hell of a lot to learn - so I'll be here from some time to come!:)

16. Erlendur Már

Erlendur Már

May 24, 2000
    I have learned a lot here, and this is the only website I visit every day.

17. Although i have been playing for guite a few years, you find that you learn something new everyday. Also, the older you get, the more you realize what you don't know.Sometimes it is good to have friends to bounce ideas off of too.

john

18. secretdonkey

secretdonkey

Oct 9, 2002
    Austin, TX
    Aside from all of the factual stuff I've gotten from TB (which has been plenty), it has given me a sense of context and perspective on my playing... I've now got more motivation to better myself as a player (after 20 years of playing, no less), and a better appreciation for the instrument.

:)

19. moley

moley

Sep 5, 2002
    Hampshire, UK
    Whoever clicked the top option - come off it! I don't believe there's a single TBer that knows 99% of what is covered on TB.

20. CS

CS

Dec 11, 1999
    UK
    Read more, type less Moley. ;)