1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Talkbass has taught me that

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by el jeffe bass, Apr 12, 2021.

1. el jeffe bass

el jeffe bass

Nov 22, 2013
    New Mexico
    I am not a very good hobbiest. I have played instruments ranging from mandolin to an Azola Baby bass and a bunch of instruments in between. I have never known what the string spacing, fingerboard radius, nut or bridge width and in many cases didn’t know what the scale length or weight was. I am starting to get the feeling that I am not the most nuanced person in the world. I think that I should join or start a support group for people like me, that is if there are actually others like me.

2. scubaduba

scubaduba Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Dec 23, 2003
    Michigan
    Nah. Ignorance is bliss sometime. I have noticed that when I sell a bass on Reverb, I rarely get asked "how much does it weight" or "what is the string spacing at the nut" or "what is the fretboard radius". On Talkbass, different story.

3. krfoss

krfoss Supporting Member

Nov 29, 2007
    Orange County, CA
    Exactly. OP isn't asking those questions, so one can only assume he's happy because he's playing, not asking questions.

4. el jeffe bass

el jeffe bass

Nov 22, 2013
    New Mexico
    I’m happy as can be just playing music but sometimes I wonder if I’m missing an important part of my chosen hobby.

Bonsist likes this.
  5. krfoss

krfoss Supporting Member

Nov 29, 2007
    Orange County, CA
    Most of the questions, in my opinion, arent that important. String spacing, weight, nut, whatever, practicing being flexible and understanding that instruments are different and you DONT want to get so particular that you HAVE to have every bass feel exactly the same. The more questions you feel you have to ask, the less this hobby makes you happy.

I'm happy to have people disagree with me on the above point.

MonetBass, 31HZ, MAXSPINRUN and 10 others like this.
  6. bass12

bass12 Basking Supporting Member

Jun 8, 2008
    Montreal, Canada
    It’s like me and electronics. It bothers me a little that I’m so ignorant about electronics in general but the fact is that the subject just doesn’t interest me. Do I like the way a bass sounds? Yes? Cool.

MegaSwing, MonetBass, Bonsist and 6 others like this.
  7. abarson

abarson

Nov 6, 2003
    Santa Cruz
    In this modern era, contentment is underrated. It's totally fine to remain blissful.

8. Gearhead17

Gearhead17 Supporting Member

May 4, 2006
    Mount Prospect, IL
    Defining the nuances and technical parts are crucial for some of us, like me. I want to know MANY things about a bass because I find a large chunk of the basses available to be uncomfortable for playing. Through years of trial and error and Talkbass research, I have figured out the specs that matter most to me.

For others, and you too OP, certain bits of technical data make no difference in your world of playing. That's OK! Be happier today knowing that you can find happiness with the bass guitar faster than I can!

9. Nope. I played for over a decade, had the time of my life, and never knew about any of that stuff. I knew enough to get my job done and none of that was particularly relevant to that cause.

pcake, sonojono, Bonsist and 6 others like this.
  10. msb

msb

Jul 3, 2002
    Halifax,N,S. Canada
    I have a bunch of instruments and they’re all different , so I guess that all that stuff isn’t really important to me . I like some necks because they’re thin , and others because they’re thick .

Bleecker, sonojono, Bonsist and 6 others like this.
  11. Jeff Scott

Jeff Scott Rickenbacker guru..........

Apr 11, 2006
    If it will help your neurosis, then yes. ;)

12. chris_b

chris_b

Jun 2, 2007
    For several decades I just played my bass. I knew none of these things either, well I knew my Precision bass was 34" but that was it. I think you can be a great player without having an idea about any of the technical stuff. We get inundated with mountains of detail on the web, but all you need is to be able to play in time and you can be a good bass player.

13. Ergonomics matter to me A LOT.

My body is showing strain after playing bass 20+hrs a week for over 3 decades. I plan to play bass just as much over the next 3 decades.

If you’re a tinkerer, casual player or a collector, ergonomics are almost irrelevant.

Koog, AlexanderB, JRA and 5 others like this.
  14. bass12

bass12 Basking Supporting Member

Jun 8, 2008
    Montreal, Canada
    Keep in mind, too, that what you see on Talkbass (with regard to specs) is often a reflection of the fact that a lot of people here buy their basses without being able to try them first. That’s a very different process from walking into a store, picking up a bass and playing it to decide whether or not it works for you. Before Talkbass I never paid attention to any specs in particular beyond the most obvious ones (wood type/material/number of strings, etc.). Buying without trying is another thing altogether. Gotta try to minimize the likelihood of any nasty surprises occurring. :)

Engle, bste9, 3bc and 7 others like this.
  15. When you get to a point that you've had your hands on enough Basses to know the difference. Between how easy it is playing clean 1/16th note runs on a 19mm spacing, as opposed to a 16.5mm. Or how your left hand is more comfortable on a 1.625" - 1.75" 4 string even with smaller hands than you are on a Jazz width at 1.5", then it matters and you want to know if looking at a Bass in NYC and you are in Dallas.

Currently, I couldn't tell you what the nut width is on my Warwick Streamer Stage I Broadneck 5, but I know it's 20mm spacing and super easy to play!

Edit: I had to go measure the nut:

1- 13/16"

:laugh:

Last edited: Apr 12, 2021
    Nuage420, AlexanderB, Aledal and 3 others like this.
  16. ahc

ahc

Jul 31, 2009
    No. Virginia
    As the ancient proverb states, "If it feels good, do it".

17. el jeffe bass

el jeffe bass

Nov 22, 2013
    New Mexico
    That probably makes more sense than anything else that I have read about this subject

bass12 likes this.
  18. BIGEJ2

BIGEJ2 Supporting Member

Jul 29, 2009
    Happy Valley, PA
    Before Talkbass I didn’t pay attention to fretboard radius, neck profile or weight. When trying basses at the store, they either felt good and were comfortable or they weren’t. I really didn’t care why. Online orders were no different. If I bought one I didn’t like, I’d either return it, exchange it or sell it off. Now I’m a little more educated. I know more about the specs to know what to look for. Examples being 19mm spacing on a 5 string or 35” scale. I don’t find either of these specs comfortable so I know to avoid them.

19. mb94952

mb94952 Endorsing Artist : SFARZO STRINGS Supporting Member

I think by the 90's I was a really good bass player in my neighborhood, AND I worked at Guitar Center when I was 18 and I had NO IDEA what active electronics were. Nor did I care.

20. The first time I had a Brubaker 5 in my hands I knew it was not 35" nor was it a 34"(like my Warwick) and the store swore it was 35".

I measured and it was 34-5/8" scale...(you always measure from the leading edge of the nut to the 12th fret and double your measurement.)

It just comes from years and many Basses in your hands. I'm also not one who suffers from the disorienting effects of "Bass Exchange" going from 4 to 5 strings and back again.

A lot of that on TB!

Last edited: Apr 12, 2021
    el jeffe bass likes this.
  21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

May 8, 2021