Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Talkbass History

Discussion in 'Off Topic [DB]' started by Chris Fitzgerald, Mar 18, 2001.

1. Chris Fitzgerald

Chris Fitzgerald Student of Life Staff Member Administrator

Oct 19, 2000
    Louisville, KY
    Got home from a late gig last night and went to chill in front of the board, and when I logged on I found that no one had posted anything all day. Having a full plate of food and nothing else to do while I ate it, I decided to read some old threads from the "archives" using the new search parameters "in ascending order from the beginning"....I guess I didn't realize just how "young" this board is - it's about 15 months old, right? It kind of got me wondering what the board was like before it was officially "talkbass"...what was it called and what was the format like? Any of you folks suffering from incipient geezerhood remember the good old days and have some stories to tell?

2. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member Administrator

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    i think this started as paul's guestbook

3. yawnsie

yawnsie

Apr 11, 2000
    London
    I was thinking that the other day. I read one of the first posts to the board, and it mentioned that there was an old forum, which used to be archived. I wouldn't mind seeing how this board evolved into the weird and wonderful thing we have today.

4. Ty McNeely

Ty McNeely

Mar 27, 2000
    TX
    WOW! I would feel honored if my guestbook turned out to be something this big and great:)

5. I remember going through 3 or 4 different upgrades since ´98.
    but I also have long white dry seasons during which i practically do not appear....so I guess you couldn´t call me a regular member. Sad, thoug, ´cause if I had the time I´d spend a few hours here every day.

R2D2

6. Chris Fitzgerald

Chris Fitzgerald Student of Life Staff Member Administrator

Oct 19, 2000
    Louisville, KY
    Herr Fuqua,

Vere can vee vind ziss olt metronome flame krieg? I find zat I am curious becauze ze signs point to anozzer one comink on ze horizon perhapz. Zo far, ze great vall off Berlin iz still standink, aber nicht fur zu lang, I sink...ze rabble iss makingk some noize, nein?

7. john turner

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    yeah, remember the ole "pick vs fingers" debate? poor joris. :D

8. rablack

rablack

Mar 9, 2000
    Houston, Texas
    Alas, poor joris, I knew him Horatio....

Sorry, couldn't resist

9. Christopher

Christopher

Apr 28, 2000
    New York, NY
    What happened to Joris? He seemed to be a pretty knowledgeable guy, at least on the BG amp board.

10. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

Yeah - I remember that one and getting involved, but feeling that Joris cam across as a really nice guy despite the flak.

Back on the history, I'm sure I can remember losing all my posts and profiles about 5 times and the old servers being quite unreliable, so it would be unavailable a lot of the time. At one point it seemed that there were only about 5-10 people posting on the BG side and I didn't dare venture to DB as it was all very technical orchestral stuff. When it started I'm sure there was more DB activity than BG, but this changed about the time JT and Biski appeared, when the BG side started to attract more "young people"...

11. john turner

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    you mean JT "reappeared", right? :D i was on the OLD old board, the one that changed over in december of '99.

i still liked the way that old board would give a tree view of new posts in particular threads. then again, that would look like crap now with how much more there is going on.

12. Tim Ludlam

Tim Ludlam

Dec 19, 1999
    Carmel, IN
    Joris..... He got real upset after someone made fun of his rig and vowed never to grace this board again with his presence. He had some homemade cabinet that was just loaded to the hilt. He even posted a picture of it on the old board.

Joris was always good for taking the "maximum-techno" viewpoint on every issue. He is missed.

13. Don't grieve too soon. Rumors of his demise are premature and false. Joris is still (apparently) amongst us. He's still up at BG, having last posted in the 'Amps' section on 4-01-2001. Rejoice! ;)

14. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

Sorry, it's difficult to remember now - I think I started posting about Summer of '98 although I may be getting confused between the FDP and this one - at first, a lot of the same people were on both and this was how I found TB.

15. Ty McNeely

Ty McNeely

Mar 27, 2000
    TX

I was about to say....I remember seein' him post on here not too long ago....he always seemed extremely knowledgeable....its a shame that we ran him off:(

16. john turner

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    well THAT's lame :rolleyes: joris really knows his stuff. i'm sure those cabs completely rock.

17. BaroqueBass

BaroqueBass

Jul 8, 2000
    Salem, OR
    I remember quite well the Psycho Bass Guy episode with the Sunn amp. That was quite freaky.

18. mchildree

mchildree Supporting Member

Sep 4, 2000
    AL/GA
    Psycho Bass Guy?? I wonder if that's the "Bass Psycho" that's causing all kinds of trouble on the 2XBassList? One of those idiots who just likes to stir up flame wars for the fun of it.

19. pkr2

pkr2

Apr 28, 2000
    coastal N.C.
    Sounds like one and the same.

If you are talking about a real "techy" type who is slightly delusional at times(most of the time) with an SVT that has been modified to crank about a jillion watts out and sounds like angels singing, it's probably him.

The irony is that he probably could be a valuable member of TB if he could communicate without trying to ram his opinion down anyones throat who disagrees with him.

His absence is much more welcome than his presence on TB as far as I'm concerned.

Pkr2

20. rablack

rablack

Mar 9, 2000
    Houston, Texas
    Hey Boom Boom: I'm guessing that "Bass Psycho" on the 2xbasslist wouldn't be caught dead with an SVT - seems to be strictly a DB kinda guy. Probably a different branch of the same bass psycho family tree.