Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

TalkBass Homepage 5.0 Sneak Peak :) Suggestions?

Discussion in 'Suggestion Box' started by paul, Mar 12, 2004.

1. paul

paul Staff Member Founder Administrator

Jul 20, 2000
    Texas
    What do y'all think of this is as the new root homepage layout:

http://www.talkbass.com/vbindex/vbindex.php?

?

Comments, suggestions please :D I'll call it 5.0 since I *think* it's the fifth revision I've done of the homepage layout ;)

2. paul

Jul 20, 2000
    Texas
    The center column will eventually hold more content - all the newest news, pr, and features. The top-right poll randomly pulls a poll out of the forums (currently it's only targeting the Amps forum - this will be changed).

I will be adding a login box at the top-left I think.

I'm not sure this will work out - there's an aweful lot of content (ie, database queries) on there, it may cause the server to bog down too much. But I'm optimistic :) Actually, I'm not sure that it's any worse than the jumble of a homepage we have now... heh.

3. godoze

godoze

Oct 21, 2002
    I really like it !

4. paul

Jul 20, 2000
    Texas
    Also, if you use a different style than 'default' let me know if you see any font/color bugs or bad color choices. I'm terrible at picking up style bugs.

5. I'd move the shoutbox to the the right side - at or above the center of the page. On my 17" monitor it's kinda hard to see unless I scoll around.

6. Joe Turski

Joe Turski

Jul 29, 2003
    Connecticut
    m
    This homepage looks so much better!!! It gets my vote. :)

7. mark beem

mark beem Gold Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2001
    New Hope, Alabama
    Looks great, Paul!!

8. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
    ooOooo a shout box...:p

9. Bob Clayton

Bob Clayton Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Aug 14, 2001
    Deptford, NJ
    i think the middle column could be a little bit narrower, but looks good!

10. SlavaF

SlavaF

Jul 31, 2002
    Edmonton AB
    I really like that layout! Good job!

11. Looks just fine.

Great job on your continued efforts to make TB one of the best music forums out there!

12. PhatBasstard

PhatBasstard Spector Dissector Supporting Member

Feb 3, 2002
    Las Vegas, NV.
    View New Posts|Today's Posts

Yay! It's back!!!:D :hyper: :cool:

13. dTune

dTune

Feb 28, 2004
    Finland
    I'll second that. Not much, but just a little bit.

14. paul

Jul 20, 2000
    Texas
    I think the JP's photo is just a little bit too wide for the center - otherwise it usually narrows down more.

15. paul

Jul 20, 2000
    Texas
    Glad to hear the positive reaction so far :) My overlal goal is to get a more forum/community driven homepage going. The current homepage only has one small 'forum' link - hardly adequate given that TalkBass basically IS the forum community.

Honestly, do y'all think the header with the musical staff 'works' in the forums and on the new homepage? Do you like/dislike it more than the previous solid-blue slant? I wish I had more artistic creativity in me sometimes - it took me forever just to come up with something as simple as the staff :) I do like that it's simple (I don't especially go for the gigantic, complex headers)... But give me your honest opinion and/or suggestions

Thanks ;)

16. dTune

dTune

Feb 28, 2004
    Finland
    I think the staff idea is great (while simple at the same time), though i hadn't thought it's a staff before. How 'bout combining the bass key of the TB logo and the staff somehow..?

17. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    I dig. Maybe you could shrink JP's photo so we could get a better idea. Otherwise it's awesome.

18. paul

Jul 20, 2000
    Texas
    I shrunk the photo a bit - is it any different now? I'm not sure... this is as small as I can get it, though I can sqeeze things just a bit by taking out some of the table spacing between the columns. it looks fine on my monitor when set at 800x600, except on the rare occasion that one of the polls has a long word in it - then it stretches off to the right a bit.