Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Talkbass: "How the hell did I manage that?" Thread

Discussion in 'Bass Humor & Gig Stories [BG]' started by Mike Money, Jan 25, 2004.

1. Mike Money

Mike Money Banned

Mar 18, 2003
    Bakersfield California
    Avatar Speakers Endorsing Hooligan
    Yesterday, I had to stay after school to set up the PA system... The Sub Power Amp had broken, and we had just gotten it back...

I'm hooking it all up, and when I try to get the speakon into the power amp, it won't go in no matter what way I try it... then I finally get it in... yay.

Then today, I hook up the subs, they are working... then I hook up the tower speakers, they don't work. I'm like "OMG ***?" and then my band teacher was like "Feex it, fgot n00b." So i try.. and it wont.

Then he comes and looks at it, and apparently I managed to get the speakons into the power amp.... upside down. And now we cannot get them out. :p

Apparently I was doing such a good job at not paying attention, that I defied the laws of physics.

:meh:

2. Tim Cole

Tim Cole

Jun 12, 2002
    Findlay, Ohio
    This is why you don't turn highschool kids loose with expensive gear they are inexperienced with.

Were you the one that blew it up to start with?

Nice job, Gomer :D

3. Mike Money

Mike Money Banned

Mar 18, 2003
    Bakersfield California
    It was the stupid foot ball coach... We let the cheer leaders use it for home games... and The coach went to turn it up, and went to the nobs on the power amp, and just cranked it... he's a dumb ass.

4. Tim Cole

Tim Cole

Jun 12, 2002
    Findlay, Ohio
    I leave the power amp knobs dimed all the time.

Did the dumbass get the speakons on the right way?

:D

5. Mike Money

Mike Money Banned

Mar 18, 2003
    Bakersfield California
    No. No one except me, Mr. Kuyper, and Brandon should ever touch the PA. But he broke the rules... And dude, i figured they had to go on that way... cuase its the only way i could get them on

:p

6. Ok. Well, two years ago it's the Great East Jazz Festival.

Lauren(the drummer), Sarah(The Keyboard player) and I all moving the PA speaker. It comes to a point where we have to lift it up a large stairway. Well, we do, and then once we get to the stage. We go back downstairs to get the rest of the drum stuff, and when we come back, we see one of the judges looking down at the PA speaker. Half way into the floor. :eek:! Well, we pull it out, make sure no one crosses the hole, and try out the PA. It works fine. Then, I have to hook up the mixer (Damn mackies :spit: ) Everything goes fine. Midway into the preformance, the PA speaker goes out. fortunitly, it's a solo piece between the Sax and the Trumpet. I go around and do a quick restart of the speaker. Then during the last few bars of the last song, I smell smoke. Then I notice it's from the back of the PA SPEAKER!! AAAHHH!!! :eek:. The song is done, I take off my bass, throw it into the air (Cole the trombone player catches it) and go around and turn the PA speaker off. It seemed like it was in slow mo when it all happened. The band teacher had a word to say to the judge when it was all over. Then we just got back on the bus and went to Six Flags. Which is a different story entirely..

7. I don't have any exciting stories like you guys,I'ma loser,

8. on saturday in the studio, somehow i managed to get my cable wrapped around my leg, my mic stand, guitarist's mic stand.

now. there's plenty of "floppy" at the amp's end so the cable's not coming out there, and its practiaclly impossible for it to come out or even some tension on the jack of the bass...

so I jumped up... and so did 2 microphones :D

9. Tim Cole

Tim Cole

Jun 12, 2002
    Findlay, Ohio
    You jump in a studio?

10. he probly didnt take his medication in the morning.

11. all about the feeling, isnt it? :)

it's not like we have something to work on the *whole 3 hours* we are there. and it's not like we don't play i know like the back of my hand.

but i don't care, its fun. thats what matters. good exercise :p

12. I had to replace the battery in my wah during a break, and hooked the instrument cables up in reverse order after putting the pedal back on the board, and I didn't check the effected signal, which I normally don't do since I tounge test batteries.

Next song I went to kick in on to use it as a slow filter for a solo and instead of that nice, sweeping effect I got a sound like someone boiling live puppies.

13. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
    My school's advanced ensemble did a small tour in the bay area, we had two vans, one for passengers the other for gear. We stayed at a camp ground one night, and our sleeping bags and such were in the gear van, which was PACKED...and the door wouldn't open.

So my stout friend Peter 'volunteered'(we basically made him) to go in through the side door which opened, and climb ontop of all the gear to get the back door open. He had about 4 inches of space, and he crawled through and right when he made it to the door, we got it open.

oh well, it was amazing that he managed to get through the van that was so full.

As for me, during the wootcamp jam I slid a harmonic up nearly a full octave, on a fretted bass. I have no clue how I managed it and have not been able to reproduce the effect since.