Talkbass Hurricane Challenge

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Lyle Caldwell, Sep 2, 2005.

1. Lyle Caldwell

Lyle Caldwell

Sep 7, 2004
    After dropping my son off at daycare this morning, I went and gave blood at a Katrina relief blood drive. It took maybe 45 minutes and didn't hurt a bit.

I would like to challenge all US members to stop talking about how awful it is or how awful/wonderful the Government response has been, and to go give blood yourself. Make a charitable donation as well if you can afford to, but everyone can "afford" to donate blood.

Then feel free to resume talking about how awful the Government response has been.
  2. Knavery

Feb 24, 2004
    Denver, CO
    Good post. I'm there with ya.
  3. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    I won't donate any blood, but I am going to donate, and help pack supplies for a team of doctors from this area who are preparing to head down there.

4. Bad Brains

Bad Brains Banned

Jan 7, 2004
    Detroit, michigan
    i actually would donate blood, but I haven't been to a doctor is years and i'm extremly afraid of needles.
  5. Bob Clayton

Bob Clayton Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Aug 14, 2001
    Deptford, NJ
    there is a stickied thread about donations at the top of OT

but donation is a good idea.

i donated blood.
  6. Lyle Caldwell

Lyle Caldwell

Sep 7, 2004
    Well then, now's an excellent time to conquer that childish fear. People are dying. A lot of them. Now.

I'm driving down to southern Mississippi tomorrow to help transport people to Memphis. Still trying to find out exactly where to go.

7. cheezewiz

Mar 27, 2002
    I can't donate blood, because I have had tattooes done within the last few years, but today is payday, and I AM going to open up my checkbook a little. I encourage everyone else to do the same. It doesn't have to be much to help.
  8. Knavery

Feb 24, 2004
    Denver, CO
    You can still give blood. I've given plenty of blood and have a few tattoos. I think it's only 3-6 months that they require you to wait before giving. However, the last couple times I've given, I've felt very faint and short of breath for some reason. Maybe I'm getting sqeamish in my old age.
  9. Bard2dbone

Aug 4, 2002
    Arlington TX
    We have more house than family. We have rented out our upstairs bedrooms before, but currently have just emptied out.(Our housemate graduated last month and already has a job in Houston. And my son just recently moved out, too.) So we are going to clean up the upstairs rooms and take in a refugee family.
  10. ladros2

Jun 2, 2005
    You guys really are great people, you deserve anything good coming your way. I can't do alot really, being an ocean away. But i admire you guys for this none the less.
  11. CamMcIntyre

Jun 6, 2000
    I donated to the Fire Fighters here that were doing a "fill the boot" thing for the hurricane relief. My dorm also has a donation center setup.
  12. Bass_noobzor

Sep 2, 2005
    haha i am not american, but lol i would give blood if i could... it comes back doesn't hurt and it's for a good cause
  13. Vince S.

Vince S. Resident Former Bassist

Jan 24, 2003
    I donated some money to the Red Cross through the school.

14. fourstringdrums

fourstringdrums Decidedly Indecisive Supporting Member

Oct 20, 2002
    San Antonio
    Same here. I donated money, but I won't donate blood. I'm deathly afraid of needles.
  15. Bass_noobzor

Sep 2, 2005
    i got a tattoo lol so needles don't really scare me
  16. Mike Money

Mike Money Banned

Mar 18, 2003
    Bakersfield California
    Avatar Speakers Endorsing Hooligan
    Donated what I could yesterday...
  17. Petary791

Feb 20, 2005
    Michigan, USA
    When I was driving home from Farmer Jack today (3 miles away,) I saw 3 Lemonade Stands that were for Katrina Relief. :)

Just thought i'd share.
  18. I would, but im 18 days too young. My mother is a nurse and she was gone the day after the hurricane. She is currently in Hattiesburg working in a medical shelter for victims. Thankfully here in my town the only injured were the trees and powerlines.
  19. I'm waiting for the Pink Floyd "Katrina Relief" Tour... :smug:
  20. Bard2dbone

Aug 4, 2002
    Arlington TX
    Well it's looking less like we'll take in a family, and more like we'll take in college students. Our house is just a couple of blocks from UTA, and I am told they are taking in many evacuee students.

And, I am writing this post in a shelter started up only yesterday in a church, here in Arlington. My wife came to volunteer, while I slept this morning. Then she called and told me the shelter needed someone to relieve the medical crew tonight from 11-7.

So I'm there now, surrounded by 190 people. And two of them snore. That's not bad.