Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Talkbass, I give you... THE LATE GREATS!

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Mike Money, Oct 19, 2005.

1. Mike Money

Mike Money Banned

Mar 18, 2003
    Bakersfield California
    Avatar Speakers Endorsing Hooligan
    Joe Stockman- Guitar!
    Brad Gardner- Drummer/Synth... Also, he is TB member Max's son.

Me on bass, duh.

http://www.myspace.com/thelategreatsrock and listen to "Mona" its our newest tune, literally an hour old.

2. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    toms_river.nj.us
    Endorsing Artist: see profile
    diggin it :bassist:

3. The Clap

The Clap

Jan 5, 2004
    Scottsdale, AZ
    Cool tunes, but I was more struck by your use of a photo that's heavily watermarked by your school photographer in your profile. Proofs don't bring the ladies, Mike

4. cheezewiz

cheezewiz

Mar 27, 2002
    Ohio
    Good job Mike! Keep it up.

5. DigMe

DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    I thought you already gave us The Late Greats. Why are you giving it to us again? Quit giving it to me.

:bag:

brad cook

6. buzzbass

buzzbass Shoo Shoo Retarded Flu !

Apr 23, 2003
    NJ
    I like it, good show

7. DigMe

DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    Great song, BTW. What's he using to make the electronicish noises?

brad cook

8. Tim Cole

Tim Cole

Jun 12, 2002
    Findlay, Ohio
    Nice work man, a simplistic hook will get them every time! You've only been with them a week or so right?

9. Mike Money

Mike Money Banned

Mar 18, 2003
    Bakersfield California

Late greats version 2.0

10. Mike Money

Mike Money Banned

Mar 18, 2003
    Bakersfield California

Some keyboard... not sure what model

11. Boooooo!

Nah jokes!

12. Brad Barker

Brad Barker Supporting Member

Apr 13, 2001
    berkeley, ca
    sounded like you hurt r2-d2 pretty bad at the end, there.

13. SuperDuck

SuperDuck

Sep 26, 2000
    Wisconsin
    You had me on Mona until the second half. I think that the beginning showed some really excellent composition and playing. That whole first section could stand on its own as a very excellent song. I really dug Thelma, too. If there was bass on that song, however, I really couldn't hear it. (I'm listening to it through some nice AKG's, too.) But the song itself gets an A+.

My only criticism would involve cleaning up your respective tones a little bit. Distorted bass is okay, but would sound even sweeter clean. (That's just me - I was never a fan of bass and distortion. If it's your thing, go for it.) Your guitarists' distortion sounded pretty iffy, though. They need to warm up their tone a bit. Sounds kinda harsh. :meh:

14. Mike Money

Mike Money Banned

Mar 18, 2003
    Bakersfield California

Mona is the only one with bass... They recorded those before I joined... They probably forgot the other two songs anyways. :p

The bass doesn't have distortion, unless the recorder was clipping a little. Its just got that G&L/Fender growl, plus a sansamp DI...

I dunno what the guitarist's deal was... It was like he wanted that telecaster twang, and I'm like "Dude, its an SG. Don't half-ass that distortion." Meh.

thanks for the input!

15. DigMe

DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    After double-checking my calculations I'm going to have to point out that Superduck is incorrect. The second half pwns the first half. At least according to my Pwnometer 3000..and it's never been wrong before.

brad cook