Talkbass is awsome

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by jackmurray, Oct 16, 2005.

1. I must waste so much of my life reading usless posts.

And how do you get an avatar?

Do you have to donate money? How much? Is it really worth it? Is there anything else I can do?

I have too much time on my hands.

I like starting posts. I don't know why. It's kind of an addiction. When I start typing I can never stop. I always just keeping talking to myself. Maybe that's why they call it talkbass, my bet is it's probably not though.

2. adisu

adisu I admit it, I'm a "user"

Apr 8, 2005
    Yes....You can come and clean my house....:D :D

For getting an avatar look in HERE
  3. $20. I can't afford that. I suppose it's $20 American too. Is there anything else I can do?

How can I prove myself and win your trust and affection?

How about, whoever makes me a supporting (I use the term loosely) member will get free bass-related advice from me forever. That in itself is a very worthwhile trade, but if you make me a supporting member in the next 5 days, I'll save your whole family from house fires and flaming cars. Make me a gold member and I'll also save your cat.

What will you do next time you need to know the most annoying basslines to play to your family, or if your cat gets stuck up a tree?

Make me a supporting member and get all these services for free (except for making me the supporting member part).

Think about it,

4. Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    that would be about 26 dollars Australian. It's worth it. I am going to send in my payment real soon.
  5. $26. I just checked. You're right. The Ausy Dollars doing well then isn't it. I remember when a US dollar would get you Aus $1.50. I'm proud to be an Australian. I still can't afford it though. The only advantage seems to be the avatar. I don't really get PM'd much (except for that time the guy told me my signature was innapropriate) and I've never uploaded a picture.

Now that I think about it, my name is pretty crap too. "jackmurray." What's that all about? Everyone else has cool names that have a pun or involve the word bass somewhere. Talk about me not being very cool.

I'll find a way to be a supporting member for free, you watch. Myabe if I reach a certain number of posts I can get an avatar. Deal?

I think it's fair to say that when I make 23 posts I should become a supporting for free.
  6. Deffinatly
  7. Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL

At 23 posts? I have 4007 including this one. Real names are "in" for user names. Also, it's not so much the perks that should make you want to support. It's the fact that this site is run by basically one guy, who pays for it all out of pocket. If the supporters don't donate enough, he pays for it out of his pocket. So the more we support, the longer TalkBass sticks around.
  8. Yes it's absolutely worth it . Besides the benefits you'll get ( Access to the Lounge , Avator etc. ) it's imo more about giving something back to the community. i sound like a politician... ? :eek: :D
  9. I think the ads on the top and bottom and sides might make a small contribution, and I'm sure there are better thing to support than bored bassists.

I think I'll go ahead and do it anyway though. Avatars are too cool to resist. I'll have to make one though.

My problem is I just looked at my account, and I have $3. Seriously. I should probably get a job or something.

I went in and asked for a job at the local guitar store, and the guy made some lame joke about "me, myself and I" and then he told me that the shop was too small to hire staff and said the "me, myself and I" joke again. Then when I was about to leave I said "thanks" and he said "sorry mate, but like I said, it's me, myself and I" and laughed at his own lame joke for the third time.

I guess I'll have to work at McDonalds or something. Or maybe I could get a paper run. That would be cool. Except it doesn't pay much.

I'm trying to start teaching bass but I havent found any students yet. Actually, that reminds me, I have no idea how to become a bass teacher. I'm going to post about it in another forum right now.

Talkbass is awsome.
  10. LajoieT

LajoieT I won't let your shadow be my shade...

Oct 7, 2003
    Western Massachusetts
    Go out and get a PT job and make the $26AUS to contribute.

Then go practice.
  11. Toasted

May 26, 2003
    Leeds, UK
    The only way you'll gain my respect is by becoming a supporting member... :)
  12. AuG

May 22, 2005
    Fort Collins, CO

Atta boy. Make the young lad feel special. :D

13. Vorago

Vorago (((o)))

Jul 17, 2003
    Antwerp, Belgium
    And everyone else's :D

Not to mention the brilliant discussions in TPA :eek: :D
  14. Should I get a membership? Hmm...

If someone makes me a sweet avatar I will! :p
  15. LajoieT

LajoieT I won't let your shadow be my shade...

Oct 7, 2003
    Western Massachusetts
    OK, Here's your Sweet avatar:

Now pony up!!!!
  16. Unchain

Unchain I've seen footage.

Jun 20, 2005
    Tucson, AZ
    Yeah I just donated last week, and it's well worth it.
  17. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    Please don't feed the trolls.

18. I'm not a troll. I'm alowed to have a discussion on talkbass about the values of becoming supporting member.

trolz talk like dis n dont uze spelin n gramma proply

They talk about controversial issues, slander people and genres, and generally offend and annoy people.

I'm posting about a relevent and interesting subject in the correct forum, using readable literate English and being unoffensive.

I'm generally interested in getting an avatar, but like I said in a previous post, I don't have any money.

Like I also said, there's much more worthwhile things to buy or donate to than the rich owner of talkbass.

P.S. Don't respond to the last comment by saying "well don't donate then" or by making some other equivalent remarke because I'm not going to donate.

I just wanted to point out that avatars are useful tools for understanding fellow bassists and in my own opinion, I think that they should be made free.
  19. Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL

Just to let you know, those last few lines make you seem kinda snobbish. Alos, someone saying, "Then don't donate..." also is relevant discussion. And I don't think Paul is rich, though he may seem so since you haven't much money, as you have said.
  20. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    No problem. Your definiton of a troll is good one, and quite accurate.