talkbass lingo

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Cams_Anthem, Sep 28, 2004.

1. Could someone enlighten me

What does "Sticky" mean
    and on some posts ive seen the relpy "Bump"

What does this all mean?
  2. Marlat

Sep 17, 2002
    London UK
    Sticky refers to "Sticking" a thread to the top of a forum so that it does not "move" down the list of threads as it gets older. It is generally done for important threads or ones containing rules etc.

Bumping is a way of "bumping" a thread back up to the top of the forum. Ie if an old thread is "bumped" it will appear on the first page in the forum. Generally to "bump" a thread, the poster will just make a new post with the word "bump" in it. You see it a lot in the classifieds section.
  3. Against Will

Against Will Supporting Member

Dec 10, 2003
    Big Sound Central
    When someone replies to a thread it gets "bumped" to the top of the list. "Bumping" is usually seen by the author of a thread, when they have a question that hasn't been answered and they don't want it to fall to the bottom of the list before it's answered. This is the most common case, but "bumping" refers to bringing any thread that is towards the bottom of the list to the top again.

A "sticky" is a thread that is permanently at the top of the list; such as announcements by Paul, and the forum rules & usages etc.
  4. DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    These are general message board terms, btw, not just TB terms. Oh and BTW means "by the way"...and TB means "talkbass." ;)

I've always thought that the word "sticky" was a reference to those post-it notes that have sticky stuff on the back so that you can just stick them somewhere as a reminder or whatnot. And those threads that get stickied are like virtual post-it notes.

brad cook
  5. thanks guys. I am going to 'bump' my moose jockey thread up..... because no one gave a serious answer last time.