Talkbass Member Compilation CD

Discussion in 'Suggestion Box' started by jazzbo, Jun 16, 2002.

1. jazzbo

Aug 25, 2000
    San Francisco, CA
    Now, I don't know how to go about initiating this, I suppose capital would be needed to produce the CDs; but I think a compilation CD, from Talkbass members, with profits going to Talkbass, would be a good idea. I know we have enough tech savvy people here that we would be able to figure out a way to do this inexpensively. It could be sold on the site's homepage. I know that I would purchase it.
  2. I really like that idea. I would buy that cd.

but wouldn't it need to be at least 2(or maybe 4) cds? there are so many talkbassers that have some songs on mp3. I can even put a song on there after june 20th! :)
  3. Erlendur Már

Erlendur Már

May 24, 2000
    I like that idea, and I can also put a song there after June 20th..
  4. ZuluFunk

ZuluFunk Supporting Member

Apr 14, 2001
  5. thrash_jazz

Jan 11, 2002
    Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
    Artist: JAF Basses, Circle K Strings
    I like the idea, but how would we decide who would be on it? There are over 20,000 members, after all!
  6. thrash_jazz

Jan 11, 2002
    Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
    Artist: JAF Basses, Circle K Strings

I think there would be a rather large clamour for submission - just look at the member mp3 thread, and the number of submissions there. At a guess, I'd say at least a few hundred people would want to submit...

How would we pare this down? I can't think of any possible method that wouldn't be biased in some way or another.

I like the order-then-burn idea - I think that is probably the best option.

As for the artwork, I think my vocalist's 7-year-old half-sister should get to draw it in pink crayon. :eek:
  7. jazzbo

Aug 25, 2000
    San Francisco, CA
    Well, to avoid paying royalties, perhaps we can limit all submitted material to only originals. Besides which, unless it's a very "artistic rendition" I think most would want to hear original music, and have the ability to increase circulation for their compositions.

As Talkbass is a community, I don't know if it would be terribly fair if someone were to sign up and then just submit work, trying to get exposure. Perhaps submissions can be limited to supporting members only, and although it's not a glamorous option, another choice could be only members with a certain post count.

I think we would have enough material to produce one jazz CD, one miscellaneous rock CD, and perhaps one other genre.
  8. kirbywrx

kirbywrx formerly James Hetfield

Jul 27, 2000
    Melbourne, Australia.
    Good idea! but..
    Would they be solo acts or actual songs created and performed by a members band. If it were a group thing, we would need all members (of the band) permission.

There are over 20,000 people on TalkBass, but only roughly 1000 of them are active and post frequently. Perhaps we could have one with supporting members (yes i know i just shot myself in the foot there).

Other than that, good idea!
  9. Good idea,

Devils advocate on
    but if I wanted a CD with members' songs on it, I would just click the Member MP3's icon (which now that I look at it, is gramatically incorrect) and burn it. I'd imagine that most of the people that would sign up for this has probably already submitted their song onto the Member MP3's area.
    /Devils advocate
  10. cap

Aug 8, 2001
    Hickam Hawaii
    You would have to have a limit on songs per cant have some bands full lenght cd on there...but like 2 or 3 per artist...copyright permission would be a pain too...but if you could work all the kinks out of it that be something i'd buy...or donate a song or 2 to. but hopefully smash updates the Talkbass station so i'll be on there soon...!
  11. jazzbo

Aug 25, 2000
    San Francisco, CA
    There are just so many members that really each person could only have one song. Then we'd run into a problem with an example like JT's Versatile Residue, (I hope I got that right!). It's over 12 minutes. I have a song I'd love to submit, that's around 9 minutes. But we just couldn't do anything that long. It wouldn't be fair. Perhaps a time limit on the songs. 2 - 6 minutes only.

I don't see why there would be a problem with solo acts versus bands. Originally, my idea was songs from members' bands, but a number of TBers do significant solo work. Although the superlative work of Mike Dimin and Steve Lawson would be amazing, they are professionals, and it might be better to leave this project to non-TB pros.

So, perhaps it could be for supporting members only. We could do a 2 disc set for BG and perhaps one for DB. While the mix would certainly be eclectic, with a 2 disc set for BG you have a slightly better chance of keeping each CD a little closer to one broad genre. The DB CD would probably be a mix of jazz and classical, which works well I think.

So, for a BG double CD, you could probably handle about 35 songs or so. Which means many submissions might not make it. We would have to figure out who chose which songs make it, and how. Suggestions?
  12. We could do the good ol fashion "Which one sounds better." But then feelingsget hurt, and some people have a bias to certain music, etc.

Maybe some sort of contest? Maybe not. I dunno, I really don't see anyway of doing this without someones feelings getting hurt. Damnit why can't we be as uncaring as tabcrawler? :D
  13. cap

Aug 8, 2001
    Hickam Hawaii a different cd for different genra would be good. Are we talking like...distrubuting this stuff or just around tb? depending on the amount of cd's i know a place here in hawaii that does cd burning/packaging/labeling for pretty cheap. if anybody knows some good distributers we have more than enough material for several cd's in each genra...we'd just have to have a focal point for operations, supporters, a group of people to manage the on and so forth. But if we could get this together im sure between the 20,000 of us we could get some seriously good stuff out.

14. submelodic

Feb 7, 2002
    Seattle, WA
    Why not have a lottery open to supporting members?

Maybe a new compilation each year, with last year's winners ineligible.

An mp3 compilation will enable roughly 150-180 tracks to fit on a single disc (encoded at 128kbps).
  15. Ty McNeely

Ty McNeely

Mar 27, 2000

But that limits buyers to only those who have MP3 players.

I support the "supporting member" idea. Only supporting members will be allowed to submit their music for the CD. If there's too many for that, then I say paul just randomly (or maybe not so randomly, who cares) picks who goes on the first volume. We can always do it more than once if it turns out good, right?
  16. yawnsie

Apr 11, 2000
    Fair point, but not everyone has a CD writer, or a good enough collection or computer to let them dowload as many songs as they'd like. Personally, I'd rather buy a CD than sit for hours downloading all the songs I'd like to.
  17. I think mp3s are a good idea too - it's a safe bet that
    • anyone who saw the ad would have access to a computer,
    • that computer probably has a sound card,
    • we could point someone at a free mp3 player, and
    • we could point them to a free ripper if they want to record some of the songs to audio cd.
    I think mp3 might be the way to go.
  18. paul

paul Staff Member Founder Administrator

Jul 20, 2000
    I'm wondering if there would be enough interest for a CD full of MP3's, given and other sites...
  19. I dunno, paul -

I know you'd sell at least one - I don't wanna track down all those mp3s and make my own CD :D
  20. jazzbo

Aug 25, 2000
    San Francisco, CA
    I'd prefer traditional wavs on a CD personally. I can pop it into the car, my boom box, my stereo. I'm definitely not thinking mass distribution, the administrative burdens would be intense. I'm only thinking of something advertised at the site, to benefit the site. If they're easy enough to produce, perhaps we can just keep doing "volumes."

Talkbass Member CD Vol. I
    Talkbass Member CD Vol. II

Durrl has enough material to produce one for the DB side already. I'm sure we can get something together for BG.

Maybe just 3 genres.