Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Talkbass Member?

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by vanbass, Apr 8, 2004.

1. Hi everyone. I'm Geoff and am new to Talkbass. I found the URL on a "Got Bass" t-shirt that some guy had on at the local music store (Long & McQuade in Surrey) las Sunday. I am posting in the hopes tthat someone here might be able to help identify this bassist. I am guessing that he is a member. He is in his 40's and had a moustache and beard. He had some mean chops and my guess is that he's probably a jazz bassist. He was testing out some amps and was ripping it up with some really cool fusion-like grooves. I had hoped to talk to him when he was done, but my wife had to leave and pulled me away before I could talk to him. I phoned the store the next day but the guy that was working day Sunday was off. Help! I'd like to find out who this is and ask if he gives lessons. Anyone?

Your help will be greatly appreciated.

TY.

Geoff

2. Sorry. I guess I should have mentioned that I am in Vancouver.

3. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Hope ya find who he was. Stories like these are fun. Whenever i wear my Talkbass shirt in public i always wonder if any fellow Tbers see me. :p My area isnt too hot though, maybe when i go to New York City.

4. Tom Crofts

Tom Crofts

Mar 15, 2001
    Well I never, the T-Shirts actually have a practical application (other than hiding your bloated midriffs ;))... Hope you find him, if he's got the T-Shirt he's probably a pretty dedicated TBer so if you're lucky he'll see this thread.

Oh, and welcome to talkbass :)

5. Gia

Gia

Feb 28, 2001
    roseability
    it was us.

6. BustinJustin

BustinJustin banned

Sep 12, 2003
    NYC, LI too
    who are you and why?

7. Gia

Gia

Feb 28, 2001
    roseability
    We are just 3 domestics from bulgaria earning extra pocket money for underarm liposuction

8. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    I wouldnt mind running into you on a crowded street, BA :p

9. Ed Fuqua

Ed Fuqua

Dec 13, 1999
    NYC
    Chuck Sher publishes my book, WALKING BASSICS:The Fundamentals of Jazz Bass Playing.
    Doesn't Xavier live in Vancouver?

10. BustinJustin

BustinJustin banned

Sep 12, 2003
    NYC, LI too

wow that sucks :smug:

11. Josh Ryan

Josh Ryan - that dog won't hunt, Monsignor. Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 24, 2001
    No more "Extreme Makeover" tv for all of you.

12. Josh Ryan

Mar 24, 2001
    My first guess as well.

13. Gia

Gia

Feb 28, 2001
    roseability
    :(

We were on this great new diet as well, "The Butter Zone". All you need is 2 pounds of butter, a bunsen burner and a straw!

14. Josh Ryan

Mar 24, 2001

If you all live past a month post a before and after pic for science. I bet if you combine "the butter zone" with "Turpentine, drink of the Gods" you'll make it three weeks.

15. canopener

canopener

Sep 15, 2003
    Isle of Lucy
    Where'd you lift that one from?

16. Like the underside of the arm, the droopy bit under buttery people's arms as they hold their arms out perpendicular to their buttery bodies?

17. I did go on a "All Beer No Food" diet and went from 153 to 126 in around 2 weeks.

18. BustinJustin

BustinJustin banned

Sep 12, 2003
    NYC, LI too
    vanbass-
    this is your welcoming committee... enjoy and welcome.

19. Wow! I'm blown away... I mean, what are the chances?
    Geoff, if it was Saturday, that was probably me. I wasn't there on Sunday. Were you with 2 kids and a woman?

Yeah, I think I remember you... you were checking out some basses right outside the amp room... yes? Anyhow, feel free to email me - just click on my email link above.

(Later edited) Ummm... I guess there is no email link above. Try grosson@shaw.ca

20. Thor

Thor Moderator Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Wow, welcome to talk bass, when no one knows Xavier's name, hehe!

The peanut gallery is usually not as prolific as this, but
    give'm a chance. they will usually prove me wrong.