Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Talkbass movie buffs, do my thinking for me.

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Toasted, Mar 9, 2005.

1. Toasted

Toasted

May 26, 2003
    Leeds, UK
    Im writing an article for a popular publication in a well known Shakespeare journal.

I need to think of some modern films or works where a sense of sympthy or pathos is found for someone that we should find despicable - a rapist or murderer is the best choice.

I already have Hannibal Lecter, but thats where my movie knowledge ends - i dont like scary films ;)

This is really an aside, but if anyone could help then that'd be really cool.

2. cheezewiz

cheezewiz

Mar 27, 2002
    Ohio
    Bluto in Animal House is likeable even though he shouldn't be.

3. Gangster films are good for this. The Godfather, Goodfellas, Scarface, etc. all have characters that the audience cares about/ identifies with even though they commit horrible crimes.

4. Daniel Day Lewis' character in Gangs of NewYork

5. Not quite the genre you're looking for, but...Stifler in American Pie. I give it a little more thought and hope it helps.

Mike

6. Jason Bourne in the Bourne Identity

7. Anakin Skywalker in the next SW movie.

8. Folmeister

Folmeister Knowledge is Good - Emile Faber Supporting Member

May 7, 2003
    Tomball, Texas
    The serial killer in Monster , Ilene what's-her-name. In the same vein, Henry from Henry, Portrait of a Serial Killer

9. Gia

Gia

Feb 28, 2001
    roseability
    kevin bacon in the woodsman.

10. The Wizard in Wizard of Oz.

He's supposed to be great, then they meet him and he's an ass, and you hate that, then he turns out ok, because he has big balloons.

11. Tim Barber

Tim Barber Commercial User

Apr 28, 2003
    Serenity Valley
    Owner: Barber Music
    Riddick (Vin Diesel) in Pitch Black. I know most people hated that movie but it's one of my faves.

12. Ditto.

13. Toasted

Toasted

May 26, 2003
    Leeds, UK
    Thanks for the input. I've got what I need. In the end I went with Pacino in The Godfather.

14. The sympathy/empathy Winona Ryder's character (Mina) feels for Dracula, in Francis Ford Coppola's 1992 film, "Bram Stoker's Dracula."

http://akas.imdb.com/title/tt0103874

It's a very well-done version of Dracula, IMHO, although I must caution anyone wanting to watch this movie, that there's a very disturbing scene in which Dracula's female vampire brides kill a baby.

Mike

15. DigMe

DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    I know you've already made your choice but this thread made me think of The Minus Man. Anyone seen that? Dude is just murdering innocent people but it's so easy to sympathise with him.

brad cook

16. Good call, Brad !!! :)

That was an excellent movie! ;)

Mike

17. jkritchey

jkritchey

Jul 23, 2002
    Northern Va.
    How about "From Dusk til Dawn"? George Cloony is reprehensible, but when everything goes all vampy, he's the hero....

18. Howabout in the Spongebob movie when Spongebob and Patrick are getting fried in the sunlamp and then they die and you feel all sorry for them and stuff, and then the magic heart tear goes and shorts the circuit for the sunlamp and then the fire sprinklers go off and rehydrate Spongebob and Patrick and then David Hasselhoff comes to like save them and stuff and then you go, "hey, this would've been cooler if Spongebob and Patrick died and were replaced by Squidward and Mr. Krabbs."

Sorta?

19. The most beautiful movie ever created...by humans...
    - James Lipton

20. A good choice indeed. Whoever suggested that must rock! ;) :p