Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Talkbass NHL Pool!

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by C-5KO, Oct 3, 2005.

1. C-5KO

C-5KO

Mar 9, 2005
    Toronto, Canada
    I would like to give something back to TB, and this is a suggestion for a tiny step in that direction:

I would like to start an NHL hockey pool, strictly for FUN. No gambling involved. It would be for bragging rights. I suggested to Paul that maybe we put a tiny collection together, and the winner can get a tb-tshirt or something? the leftover money, will be donated to the website. he hasn't replied back to me so I'm not sure on that one.... Otherwise it's FREE!

Anybody interested, please post in this thread!

Your team would consist of 11 players.

6 forwards
    4 defense
    2 goalies

The only rule is, you cannot have 2 players on the same team (unless they're traded)

Point system

2 points for goal
    1 point for assist
    2 points for goalie win / 1 point for tie / extra 3 for shutout

I would try to do updates as frequently as possible, and post them online. It usually ends up being once a week.

There isn't really anybody interested in hockey at my new job, so I've got to get my fix somehow!

C5.

2. AuG

AuG

May 22, 2005
    Fort Collins, CO
    I figured a Canuck would post a thread about a NHL pool eventually. I'm with ya, nobody at my job likes hockey (or cares) either.

It looks like it's just you and me here bud. :D

I get Sidney Crosby :smug:

oh and Khabibulin too. :D

I'll post a complete team later when I'm not so busy at work.

3. You guys got lucky with that signing. I wonder how Burke is going to fit in with my beloved Bolts. And Calgary is looking strong this year(Amonte, McCarty and Hamrlik, are you kidding me?!). Its nice having my 2 teams in the Stanley Cup finals.

I'm in too. Just gotta decide who to pick for my pool.

4. Bad Brains

Bad Brains Banned

Jan 7, 2004
    Detroit, michigan
    As much as I like the idea, the NHL is a joke and an insult to how it once was.

What are these people thinking? "Lets try and gain a bigger audience by destroying the game while making it an embarassment"?

5. AuG

AuG

May 22, 2005
    Fort Collins, CO

I don't think it'll be an embarassment. The rule changes are necessary IMO (all except the goalies slimming down equipment and the lines restricting goaltenders to their crease and behind the net...ha what a joke :rolleyes: ) partly because of the increasing size of players and the speed of the game. Removing the red line is the best step to take to create more goals and speed up the game in general. I was a proponent of having the league go to 4 on 4 play, but of course no one would even approach that idea. It would've worked, trust me. Get rid of the 4th liners and send them packing, keep the better players so they get more ice time and the fans see them more often, and whattya know now they have their salary cap.

Regardless, I think we all should give it a chance, and if we don't like it....fine change the channel.

Times are changing, as unfortunate as that is.

So you down on this pool or what? :D :hyper:

6. I'm in, I get Zach Parise(BTW, I'm pumped for that game) :bassist:

7. C-5KO

C-5KO

Mar 9, 2005
    Toronto, Canada
    <puts down backbacon, and Molson Canadian to type>

Great! we have a few guys now. Just want to clarify for the teams, the players are not exclusive to each person entering (unlike a draft). Two separate teams entered can have Lemieux (Mario not Claude!)... we just can't have Crosby + Lemieux on one team entered. With 11 players, there should be enough to pick from for teams to be different even with some of us choosing the same players.

<adjusts toque>

Make sure to name your fantasy team also. Try to keep it Family rated please. ;)

Let's try to get atleast 10+ people. The deadline for teams can be next week sometime.... that should give people some time to jump on the bandwagon. Post your teams in this thread whenever you're ready, and I'll start up the excel file.

Thanks, C5

<starts eating Kraft dinner / presses play on Celine Dion greatest hits CD>

8. mattwells

mattwells

Mar 19, 2003
    GA
    I like the new rules for the simple fact that my two teams (Blackhawks and Bruins) may have a shot.

Oh, and with Khabibulin in the pipes, a pretty good shot.

9. AuG

AuG

May 22, 2005
    Fort Collins, CO

Hmmm I dunno if I'm in anymore.... :meh:

:D

10. Mike Money

Mike Money Banned

Mar 18, 2003
    Bakersfield California
    Avatar Speakers Endorsing Hooligan
    Dibs on crosby.

11. Woodchuck

Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta / Macon (sigh)
    Gallien Krueger for the last 12 years!
    Kovlachuk (sp?) from my Thrashers.

12. C-5KO

C-5KO

Mar 9, 2005
    Toronto, Canada
    Great!

Actually... Can you pick one more goalie? I think we should have two goalies in each team. I know that the loss of a goalie will greatly hurt one's teams - and having two goalies, may soften the blows.

I'm going to edit my original postings of the teams requirements... i hope this doesn't mess your teams ups!

Thanks, C5!!!

ps: plus it makes it easier for me, as I have an excel file set up for 2 goalies... but I forgot to check it before I posted this thead... the files been inactive for 2 years! :crying:

13. Heatley, OTT
    Iginla, CGY
    Forsberg, PHI
    Sakic, COL
    Nash, CBJ
    Hossa, ATL

Sydor, TB
    Gonchar, PIT
    Souray, MTL
    S. Niedermayer, ANA

Roloson, MIN
    Brodeur, NJ

14. C-5KO

C-5KO

Mar 9, 2005
    Toronto, Canada
    I'm not sure when we should have the cut-off. Let's try to get at least 10 people entered. If we can't get 10 people, then lets say next weekend? If you have a player that gets injured before the cut-off, we'll make substitutions until the cut-off.

I should have my team done tomorrow... It's a slow day at work. ;)

15. C-5KO

C-5KO

Mar 9, 2005
    Toronto, Canada
    Good question.

Everybody will start with stats accumulated from Regular Season Game 1.

So If somebody's team is entered in a week after, yes, they can potentially pick up points from a hot player in the beginning that other players may have looked over. However, I have found in hockey pools (and maybe this is a tip that I shouldn't be sharing ;) ), that streaks don't last. I've also found, that many people will pick hot players from pre-season games.... Mwahahahha. Suckers! :p The better players always pick up their game at the end of the season, IMO.

The biggest concern when there's a week gap, is if a player you pick gets injured. In which case, you will be allowed to substitute that player. My concern is that we only have 3 of us in the pool! :D So, I don't want anybody to feel penalized for getting a team in late.

How bout this, if you feel like you need to change your team during the cut-off period, feel free to update your team!

Beware of the bandwagon! :smug:

16. Yea, stupid Rick Nash left the game last night :( But both goalies got a win :)

17. C-5KO

C-5KO

Mar 9, 2005
    Toronto, Canada
    Here's my team:

ATL- Hossa
    COL- Sakic
    PHI- Forsberg
    VAN- Naslund
    TB- St Louis
    OTT- Alfredsson

PIT- Gonchar
    DET- Lidstrom
    DAL- Zubov
    BOS- Leetch

NJ- Brodeur
    TOR- Belfour

18. canopener

canopener

Sep 15, 2003
    Isle of Lucy
    A Canadian Pens fan?

19. AuG

AuG

May 22, 2005
    Fort Collins, CO
    Alrighty here's my team:

10 skaters and 2 Goalies right?

Forwards:
    Crosby - Pittsburgh
    Amonte - Calgary
    Andreychuk - Tampa Bay
    Satan - New York
    Sundin - Toronto
    Spezza - Ottawa

Defensemen:
    Malakhov - New Jersey
    Chelios - Detroit (god i hope his knees hold out)
    Walker - St. Louis
    Blake - Colorado

Goaltenders:
    Khabibulin - Chicago
    Esche - Philadelphia

Thanks for taking the time to do this C5. :)

Oog

20. Come on people, join up! It'll be fun! And I forgot to say this, but thanks C5 for running this thing.